Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm looking for recommendations for a portable Level 2 charger for the Bolt. From what I've been able to glean online, the Jesla, Jesla Jr and Tesla UMC w/Tesla Tap are all options that should work well with the Bolt. I'm not quite clear what the differences between the Jesla and Jesla Jr are (other than cost and max. charging current). There also seem to be a number of difference versions of the Tesla UMC - I don't know if all are compatible with the Tesla Tap, or just some subset. I'd also be interested in any other ideas. Both of the places that I'll be charging at do have access to a 50 amp circuit. Thanks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
What luck having access to two 50 amp outlets ! There are several types of 50 amp plugs, so make sure of compatibility of them. Any level 2 charger that has the proper plug should work, so size is you next concern. Also, the security of the charger would be important, as you don't want somebody walking away with it. Other readers will add more details about your idea...

·
Registered
643 Posts
all are compatible with JDapter and/or Tesla tap - the main advantage of the Tesla UMC is the swappable adapters on the Tesla UMC gen 2 which allows care free usage of almost any type of plug you might encounter so you will rarely if ever be unable to charge if you have the right adapter in your road trip kit.

the unit comes with a NEMA 14-50 adapter for RV parks and such, and a NEMA 5-15 household adapter, other plug adapters can be purchased- The UMC Gen 2 automatically adjust the advertised charging current available based on the adapter currently in use, this means your Bolt which lacks in car control over the charging session will not overload the circuit from which you are charging.

The UMC gen 2 is compact, rugged, flexible and well priced as a mobile 32 AMP EVSE. And the JDapter/Tesla-Tap is useful for the EV road warrior independant of the Tesla UMC - it lets you use Tesla L2 chargers you will find in the wild at businesses and Hotels (with the business owners permission).

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a JuiceBox 40 and I would consider it 'sort of' portable. It's small enough to throw in the back of the car, the cable is a bit unwieldy. I have never done this but it's in the back of my mind as an option. For my purposes the only reason to take it with me would be as a backup in case I was unable to charge by another method. What I don't know is that since it is a wifi unit, I don't know if it would work if it could not get a wifi connection. I presume it would but I would have to try it to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
all are compatible with JDapter and/or Tesla tap - the main advantage of the Tesla UMC is the swappable adapters on the Tesla UMC gen 2 which allows care free usage of almost any type of plug you might encounter so you will rarely if ever be unable to charge if you have the right adapter in your road trip kit.

the unit comes with a NEMA 14-50 adapter for RV parks and such, and a NEMA 5-15 household adapter, other plug adapters can be purchased- The UMC Gen 2 automatically adjust the advertised charging current available based on the adapter currently in use, this means your Bolt which lacks in car control over the charging session will not overload the circuit from which you are charging.

The UMC gen 2 is compact, rugged, flexible and well priced as a mobile 32 AMP EVSE. And the JDapter/Tesla-Tap is useful for the EV road warrior independant of the Tesla UMC - it lets you use Tesla L2 chargers you will find in the wild at businesses and Hotels (with the business owners permission).
I would say that the Tesla UMC Gen 2 EVSE + JDapter Stub/TeslaTap is the most versatile mobile charging solution you can currently have. Not only does it offer 32 amp L2 charging that will match the Bolt's peak L2 charge rate, but it offers everything stated above. (Assuming you have the necessary adapters) you can literally charge anywhere you can plug the unit in. That versatility can't be matched by anything else out there, especially when you take into consideration the JDapter/TeslaTap opens up all the Tesla destination charging stations.

The UMC Gen 2 + JDapter is my daily charging solution. Been using it for almost a year so far, no problems.

·
Registered
643 Posts
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-mobile-connector-bundle.html

$300 is hard to beat for a very very well design portable 32 amp EVSE

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/gen-2-nema-adapters.html

adapters are $35/each (other than the two that come with it)

but you do have to buy the JDapter/Tesla-Tap - but I'd argue if you're in the market for a portable EVSE that you actually plan to use while you're on the road - that's a recommended purchase anyways…

but yeah - I don't know of a 32 amp $300 mobile EVSE that is any more functional/better than the Tesla UMC Gen 2.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my $359 EVSE from EVSEadapters.com. It is adjustable with a a quick shake of the unit from 12 to 32 amps and 120 or 240 volts depending on the adapters you have. Three year warranty too. No Tesla if that matters to you. Doesn't to me. Small but decent kWh readout.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm using this portable EV charger which I purchased from amazon.
It's IP66 and the cord is 26 feet long. I can park reverse in any spot and the cord will reach to the side front where the port is with no problems.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Morec-Upgraded-Portable-220V-240V-Compatible/dp/B07DHFH8LW[/ame]

So far so good. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
A Tesla UMC is going to be over $500 with the charger plus the Tap. Each cord is another $30-50. Yes, a Tap gives you more access while traveling. Good solution, but expensive, especially if you don't travel much. The only downside I see is the cost, unless you're also anti-Tesla.

I purchased the cheapest 50A charger I could for $340 on ebay. Has a 14-50 plug. Works fine. I've taken it with to my parent's house where I installed another 14-50.

Look at whether you want wifi, adjustable current, delayed start, etc., then go from there. There are lots of good choices.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If I was going to do any traveling I'd spend the extra hundred or two and go Tesla setup. I'm a level 10 cheapskate, but when you get out there in the world you will see why it is worth the extra couple of bens. Loads of destination L2. I'd imagine product support and resale is also above average if that matters.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
If I was going to do any traveling I'd spend the extra hundred or two and go Tesla setup. I'm a level 10 cheapskate, but when you get out there in the world you will see why it is worth the extra couple of bens. Loads of destination L2. I'd imagine product support and resale is also above average if that matters.
Based off the times I actually needed to use my JDapter to charge at a Tesla station (versus using it just to use it even though I could have used a J1772), I've probably recouped $15 of my $240 purchase. Plus the few times I absolutely needed the charge and the JDapter allowed to to utilize destination stations....what value do you put on that?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Based off the times I actually needed to use my JDapter to charge at a Tesla station (versus using it just to use it even though I could have used a J1772), I've probably recouped $15 of my $240 purchase. Plus the few times I absolutely needed the charge and the JDapter allowed to to utilize destination stations....what value do you put on that?
Not much, but then I can keep the Tesla adapter from car to car over the years since I don't see the destination chargers going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

I know I could have gotten some use with it with our PHEV at a hotel in Virginia where the J1772 charger was partially blocked. We managed to get to it with some finagling, but the Tesla ones were wide open. Wished we had the adapter at the time.

·
Registered
928 Posts
100% of the few trips I've taken, the hotel had a tesla L2 ready and waiting that I could not use. So my car sat overnight doing nothing and the next day I had to hunt for chargers. Frustrating. Factoring in resale value of the Jdapter if you were to get rid of your Bolt later on and never get a Tesla... it doesn't have to do much to be worth while.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree. IF you're traveling AND considering an alternate charger that's over $400. Then I'd suggest the Tesla UMC. Perhaps even only if you're looking at a charger over $400.

I feel the industry is likely to change, probably to just a cord and all the electronics in the vehicle, so I want to error on the side of spending less money now. But it's close to 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
100% of the few trips I've taken, the hotel had a tesla L2 ready and waiting that I could not use. So my car sat overnight doing nothing and the next day I had to hunt for chargers. Frustrating. Factoring in resale value of the Jdapter if you were to get rid of your Bolt later on and never get a Tesla... it doesn't have to do much to be worth while.
I would say the Jdapter/TeslaTap bailing you out just 1 time from being left without a way to charge during a trip (and possibly saving a tow) makes up for the purchase price. And every time a Tesla owner rolls their eyes when they see a non-Tesla plugged into one of "their" chargers...now that's priceless.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a JDapter and have only used it a few times, but I'm really glad I had when I needed it. It's also worth mentioning that a 240V adapter with the supplied EVSE (make sure you have the model that will also work on 240V, to avoid destroying it) will charge at nearly 3kW and costs just a few dollars to make. That sounds slow, but you're probably planning on using it overnight anyways. If you plug in at 5pm and unplug at 9am then it could add about 70% to the SOC.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I hope at some point during my Bolt ownership I have "loads of destination L2" spots anywhere near me. Let me tell you... in some spots of the country there isn't such an infrastructure. In the southern part of Michigan I wouldn't exactly say they are relevant.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/tesla+destination+charger/@42.3029998,-84.9268085,9z/data=!3m1!4b1

The 3 northern ones on this map are an hour from me (two are at hotels / B&B's of which are for customer only use). The far west one is located *inside* a racetrack, so it's not really publicly available. The far south ones are in another state (Indiana) and the 1 other on the map isn't far from my normal route, but it's in an area of which nobody has any real reason to spend any amount of time.

I do agree the Tesla unit *seems* to be the best option... but I'm just jealous that others feel it's of value because they have "loads" of L2 charging points to use them at!

I do believe the Tesla

1 - 20 of 25 Posts