Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks everybody for the responses! After much hemming and hawing I bit the bullet and put in an order for the Tesla UMC 2 and the JDapter stub as it seems to cover the largest set of possibilities. Looking forward to trying it out when it arrives (the UMC was out of stock for a bit).

I'm still curious about the etiquette of plugging in to Tesla destination chargers, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all -- I'm getting ready to buy a Bolt EV and am considering buying a portable L2 charger so that I can have more charging options when I'm on the road in rural areas. From reviewing this thread, it sounds like folks recommend the Tesla mobile charger. I want to make sure I'm understanding everything I need to buy to make that work. Is this the complete list?
Also, with respect to the NEMA adapters, what are the most common adapters I should purchase in order to be able to charge my Bolt from 240V outlets in places like campgrounds and RV parks? The only 240V outlet filter I'm seeing on PlugShare is NEMA 14-50 -- are there any others that are in common use? I would obviously prefer not to buy anything I'm unlikely to need, as $35 per adapter is a bit pricey. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Hi all -- I'm getting ready to buy a Bolt EV and am considering buying a portable L2 charger so that I can have more charging options when I'm on the road in rural areas. From reviewing this thread, it sounds like folks recommend the Tesla mobile charger. I want to make sure I'm understanding everything I need to buy to make that work. Is this the complete list?
Also, with respect to the NEMA adapters, what are the most common adapters I should purchase in order to be able to charge my Bolt from 240V outlets in places like campgrounds and RV parks? The only 240V outlet filter I'm seeing on PlugShare is NEMA 14-50 -- are there any others that are in common use? I would obviously prefer not to buy anything I'm unlikely to need, as $35 per adapter is a bit pricey. Thanks in advance for the help!
We have had exactly what you are planning for over two years now, for home charging, and as a trip backup. It works great. That said, this new unit looks very interesting with more features for similar money.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I really haven't seen much beyond the NEMA 5-15 (i.e. standard household 120V outlet) and NEMA 14-50. Once in a while, you may come across a TT-30 (125V, 30A), but usually there's a NEMA 5-15 there too, and since the Bolt won't take more then 12A on 120V, you can't really take advantage of the extra current.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I really haven't seen much beyond the NEMA 5-15 (i.e. standard household 120V outlet) and NEMA 14-50. Once in a while, you may come across a TT-30 (125V, 30A), but usually there's a NEMA 5-15 there too, and since the Bolt won't take more then 12A on 120V, you can't really take advantage of the extra current.
And in this case, a secondary TT-30P to 5-15R adapter will do the trick.

I've got that configuration on order. The only other solution I'm aware of that does automatic charge current adjustment based on attached plug is the Mustart Travelmaster, which is not UL approved and draws 25A instead of 24A from a 30A plug (which it should not do). On the other hand, it can be bought from Amazon without dealing with Tesla, and Tesla's webshop is seriously problematic. It was nearly 2 months of "error KR36" before I was finally able to order.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts