Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Not sure if this info has been posted. This is from a survey by GM that I completed. There are 5 options that look like they're considering to offer on future Bolts. I messed up on capturing the screenshot for 1 of them, so only 4 are posted here. Pretty interesting. The missing one is for Home Fast Charger.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think at 5-6k, assuming people are putting in solar or have solar already, they may want to go with a full battery/solar system for a slightly higher cost I've seen (maybe +10k more if solar is already in, but slightly less if not). Fed tax credit is dropping from 30% to 26% next year though so that could be 3k or less savings from install price.

This is a nice option for people without solar though and Nissan has something like this advertised for their Leaf in Japan.

I think it's good they are thinking about it just as a benefit, esp in CA with all the wild fires and random emergency shutoffs (probably a few times every year now I'd guess so that would help those cases immensely).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think at 5-6k, assuming people are putting in solar or have solar already, they may want to go with a full battery/solar system for a slightly higher cost I've seen (maybe +10k more if solar is already in, but slightly less if not). Fed tax credit is dropping from 30% to 26% next year though so that could be 3k or less savings from install price.

This is a nice option for people without solar though and Nissan has something like this advertised for their Leaf in Japan.

I think it's good they are thinking about it just as a benefit, esp in CA with all the wild fires and random emergency shutoffs (probably a few times every year now I'd guess so that would help those cases immensely).

I agree. We've had a few power outages this year. I had to use a gas generator to power the fridge. Would've been nice to have been able to use my Bolt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another option I see are those sorta new Lithium Ion battery inverters.

They are pretty pricey compared to gas gens, but quiet (mostly fan noises) and doesn't spew bad fumes so you can use them indoors (attracts less attention, safer, won't be stolen, etc...).

$5,000 could buy a lot of batteries for those as an option so I think the 5k price is a bit limiting when you have articles here of people doing the same thing with their current Bolt using a fairly cheap inverter and putting car in Neutral/On, etc...

I don't think people care about selling back to the grid much, but a simple solution in a box would work for a lot of people IMO where if they lose power, they can just run a thick long extension cord from the car to the fridge/freezer (what I'd want one for personally) and just not have to waste all that food.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow ! Those are some weird and potentially dangerous options. Exporting high voltages from the car opens a real can of worms. For instance, car -> house for power outages requires an interlock to insure that the grid isn't electrified if they are working on it to restore power to an area. If foresee lots of liability issues by enabling customers to tap into the main battery. Doubt if it will ever come to be...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I agree. We've had a few power outages this year. I had to use a gas generator to power the fridge. Would've been nice to have been able to use my Bolt.
But you could have used your Bolt. Tap the 12V Aux battery for an external 12V DC to 120V AC inverter. The Bolt's DC-DC can provide up to ~1600W to the Aux battery when the vehicle is on. I can draw 1000W at my inverter's 120V output without the 12V Aux battery sagging, which is plenty to power a fridge for at least a week. (Average refrigerators take 2-3kWh per day.) I put a 150A fuse and a 120A Anderson connector on my 12V Aux battery to make hookup a breeze. There's now a kit available. See this thread:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would seriously consider this. Likely installing solar to take advantage of 30% tax break. Will configure to be able to add battery backup next year - but that is only 10 kWh for about $10k installed price. For $5k, I'd definitely consider an option to provide a longer backup in times of need.

·
Registered
196 Posts
One other thought that is related - since GM "seems" fully committed to an electric future, I am really curious why they don't spend a significant outreach to their current owners for our thoughts on the future for BEVs.
I guess it is possible that they just trawl through user forums like this for our thoughts. But if I were the lead engineer, I would certainly want to know how their products are being used and how they could be improved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I received this survey as well and while I really like the packages they offer, I think the pricing is out of wack because for not much more you can get dedicated equipment that would be functional far longer than the car would be owned by the original owner. And frankly, apart from the fast charger, why would the other packages cost so much since much of the needed infrastructure is already in the vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also got this survey and completed it. While I applaud GM for considering the generator options, I'm not interested because I already have a backup generator. And it certainly cost me less than $5k.

One of the options in my survey was fast charging (I don't remember specifics, should have taken a screen shot). I am interested in the fast charging since I own two EVs. Having the ability to top one off quickly would be nice at times.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Around 3k to 6k? I wonder are these the real prices? I wonder if they will eventually offer all options and when? I also wonder if they will have V 2 V like Tesla? I guess this is a way for them to increase sales prices and make profit off of EVs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm curious where the "average price of a home generator is $5000" figure comes from. They must be referring to a whole house, permanently installed unit. But, those start at $5k plus $$$ for installation.

You can buy a ~10kW portable gen for around $1000 at the big box stores. A code compliant and inspected generator interlock can be installed for under $800. I'm in Florida. Maybe in California and other jurisdictions, the price may be higher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

Not sure if this info has been posted. This is from a survey by GM that I completed. There are 5 options that look like they're considering to offer on future Bolts. I messed up on capturing the screenshot for 1 of them, so only 4 are posted here. Pretty interesting. The missing one is for Home Fast Charger.

Wow how useful a small trickle generator that runs on propane tanks, like the small ones you get at Walmart, would be. Something that could give you like 10 miles more every hour. Just enough if you run out of juice . Imagine the increased peace of mind you get from that! I also think future battery swap feature would be great. Pull into a dealer and 15 minutes later your out the door with a full charge. I also see that a college has developed a 10 minute full charge battery although we probably won't see that for a bunch of years. And yes it would be nice to have a port on your car that would then charge your house essentials during a power out outage. What is funny is if all the users can see what would be good feature for the car why can't the GM engineers?

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Wow how useful a small trickle generator that runs on propane tanks, like the small ones you get at Walmart, would be. Something that could give you like 10 miles more every hour. Just enough if you run out of juice.
Why would you need this in an electric vehicle and not in an ICE vehicle? I realize that there are more gas stations than charging stations, but electrical outlets are even more ubiquitous. My idea of insurance is to just carry a portable charger with 120V and 240V AC pigtails. The range estimate is plenty good enough to get you to an outlet somewhere if you're paying at least a little attention.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got the survey. I went with the generator option and also the bonus extra: jump start feature. No way did I want the V2G option -- don't want my battery degraded for a pittance from the utility.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
No way did I want the V2G option -- don't want my battery degraded for a pittance from the utility.
That's why I want only a vehicle to home (V2H) option as an emergency backup when the grid is down. Full zombie apocalypse mode.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
That's why I want only a vehicle to home (V2H) option as an emergency backup when the grid is down. Full zombie apocalypse mode.
I've already got it, with a fused 120A Anderson connector on the 12V Auxiliary Battery. That, a 10' Anderson-connectorized piece of 00 AWG welding cable and a 1500W true sine-wave 12V DC - 120V AC inverter should see me through a week or more of those brain-eating mofos. Well, that and a 12 gauge. :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts