Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I thought it was a disappointing list. I don't need slightly faster charging at home, but I do need MUCH faster charging 'on the road', at least at the MAX rate of the new Electrify America chargers (how about at least as fast as a Tesla) when I'm 'on the road'. L2 works okay for home charging but MUCH faster 'on the road' is important.

I also would appreciate longer range...again, a base Tesla Model 3 gets about 320 miles of range today...a future Bolt should beat that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
3 Tesla Powerwalls (less than 45 KWH) costs around 27k. 5k installed and able to use 60KWH bolt battery sounds great in contrast. This would have to include the device to cut off from the grid and probably the charger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We installed a solar system with one LG backup battery that has around a 10kwh capacity. Those batteries are being installed for between $8.5-$10. I feel having a 60kwh Bolt battery as an option would be fantastic. We live in the SF Bay Area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We installed a solar system with one LG backup battery that has around a 10kwh capacity. Those batteries are being installed for between $8.5k-$10k. I feel having a 60kwh Bolt battery as an option would be fantastic. We live in the SF Bay Area.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I received this survey as well and while I really like the packages they offer, I think the pricing is out of wack because for not much more you can get dedicated equipment that would be functional far longer than the car would be owned by the original owner. And frankly, apart from the fast charger, why would the other packages cost so much since much of the needed infrastructure is already in the vehicle.
I believe the reason the stated option prices seem so high, is that the price includes installation.

I also got this survey. I like that they are thinking. But for my situation, the only one that makes sense is the "generator" option where the car supplies house power. I already have a 5kw solar system, and a deal where I provide that power to the grid in exchange for the power I use from Pacific Graft and Extortion. I also already have a L2 charger. So the only one that makes sense for me is the backup power option. But I still probably would not buy it, since I already bought a $500 gas generator for when PG&E shuts the power off. BTW, they seem to be getting better at decision making when it comes to shutting the power off...Tuesday it was predicted that they would shut off the Western Slope again, even though the "high" winds were going to be on the other side of the valley! Annoying, but my generator was ready to go. Lo and behold, they rescinded the shut off on the day, because the winds didn't materialize! Too late for the schools that were already shut down for the day, however.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I also got this survey and completed it. While I applaud GM for considering the generator options, I'm not interested because I already have a backup generator. And it certainly cost me less than $5k.

One of the options in my survey was fast charging (I don't remember specifics, should have taken a screen shot). I am interested in the fast charging since I own two EVs. Having the ability to top one off quickly would be nice at times.
But their "fast charging" option is just a 240V L2. So it's not like a DCFC.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow ! Those are some weird and potentially dangerous options. Exporting high voltages from the car opens a real can of worms. For instance, car -> house for power outages requires an interlock to insure that the grid isn't electrified if they are working on it to restore power to an area. If foresee lots of liability issues by enabling customers to tap into the main battery. Doubt if it will ever come to be...
I'm sure the engineers at GM are well aware of the hardware requirements. One way is to install a service disconnect between your main electrical service panel and the grid. Automatic ones are available for around $600 iirc. These automatically switch from connection to the grid to connection to your back up source. There are other options, all well-known and used for many years. I'm sure GM firmware will protect the battery, same as it does during driving. This stuff is all well known by those in the power electronics field.

I see no reason for the faster charge. On the rare occasion I would need to do that, I'd just drive to the nearest DCFC (about 3 miles away) and charge it there. Lot cheaper than their fast charge option.

I would be interested in the backup, but it seems it should be doable for lower cost.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Your Bolt would plug in to a standard generator inlet box which is usually wired to two breakers in your load center. Those can not be switched to "ON" unless the main disconnect from the grid is off if you use a simple $40 mechanical interlock device made just for that purpose.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts