Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
From my dealer just now:
GM stopped production of the Chevrolet Bolt and Blazer and the Cadillac CT4 and CT5 Blackwing.
No reason given. No word if, or when, production will restart.

So, it appears it is not a Stop Sale, per se.
Dealers can't sell any new car with an unfixed recall per federal law. Still, the other cars affected implies it's something unrelated to previous battery issues. Perhaps an airbag or seatbelt issue. Clearly would have to be something common to ICE and EV cars.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The actual impact it's had on peoples lives and all those angry people like me who are going to choose to fight instead of just be like, "whatever, I'm out, who cares"?
Isn't the anger optional? Isn't the 80% charge limit really optional too? That's what is nice(at least for now) is that we still have a lot of freedoms in the US.
I've posted this(likely ad nauseum) that we have a 2020 LT that we have loved since the test drive. Got a great price on it and planned to charge it to 93% daily(due to a real or percieved idea of it being a good compromise of battery life and daily range). When the fires happened, I looked at the stats and used my freedom of choice to continue to charge to 93% with a very few 100% charges completed just prior to departure on longer trips.

We haven't suffered at all. We still love the car and at some point will get a new battery and warranty for no charge. Then later we may get a check or a several thousand dollar coupon toward a Blazer EV or something.

I am aware that those who chose to use their freedom of choice to charge to 80% and park outside, and wear a fire extinguisher on their back(sorry, too far?) are not as happy as we are. But isn't that their choice?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
1,098 Posts
Isn't the anger optional? Isn't the 80% charge limit really optional too? That's what is nice(at least for now) is that we still have a lot of freedoms in the US.
I've posted this(likely ad nauseum) that we have a 2020 LT that we have loved since the test drive. Got a great price on it and planned to charge it to 93% daily(due to a real or percieved idea of it being a good compromise of battery life and daily range). When the fires happened, I looked at the stats and used my freedom of choice to continue to charge to 93% with a very few 100% charges completed just prior to departure on longer trips.

We haven't suffered at all. We still love the car and at some point will get a new battery and warranty for no charge. Then later we may get a check or a several thousand dollar coupon toward a Blazer EV or something.

I am aware that those who chose to use their freedom of choice to charge to 80% and park outside, and wear a fire extinguisher on their back(sorry, too far?) are not as happy as we are. But isn't that their choice?
Like you, we've been barely affected by this recall. A new pack is good enough for me.

Others have had serious issues, including the inability to park some places, even at work. Others, needing the full range on a regular basis, have been deprived of that range. That's especially the case with those who have less tolerance for risk than we do. And those who perhaps perceive the risks to be higher than reality. Also, owners of early build 2019's for example really have had good reason to be genuinely concerned about a fire.

Some are going to be angry, and feel like whatever compensation they receive is justified. Even in the extreme examples mentioned by @RacerX00. Whatever compensation they receive is no skin off my back. And some will feel they are not being fairly compensated. It's all over the lot.

Personally, I don't even think about it when not on this forum, and my wife never gives it a moment's thought. The world is full of things I'm more upset about than this recall. This barely registers to me.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
2,226 Posts
I wonder if it's the normal shutdown for the MY changeover. Production of MY 2023 Bolts is set to begin July 21st. This seems a bit soon though since the car is essentially unchanged.
I went to respond and didn't want to speculate but this is suspiciously in line with certain factory shut downs and expansions date-wise. I know the Hummer EV and Silverado are getting expansions coupled with factory shutdowns.

In fact, don't the Bolt and Silverado share Orion?

All speculation though. And there, I put in my own speculation. The thing I didn't want to do 😁

(hope I'm right, alternatives could suck)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I went to respond and didn't want to speculate but this is suspiciously in line with certain factory shut downs and expansions date-wise. I know the Hummer EV and Silverado are getting expansions coupled with factory shutdowns.

In fact, don't the Bolt and Silverado share Orion?

All speculation though. And there, I put in my own speculation. The thing I didn't want to do 😁

(hope I'm right, alternatives could suck)
The July 4th holiday is right around the corner too. This is prime vacation time, so it's probably a great time for changeovers, expansions, plant maintenance etc.

Yes, I think Orion is being expanded for the Silverado.

Reactions: RacerX00

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

The thing about the anger is it gets easy to be angry the longer it goes on. I see it, I see I have like a 1 second fuse now with GM but it started with a very long fuse. Each time they re-light it, it gets shorter.

Crappy analogy but I think you get my point. I try and use logic as a check, as long as my emotions match the logic trail, I'm ok. I'm fine expressing the anger, just never want to be irrational when doing it lol.

That being said I generally don't like being angry so this has been pretty exhausting for me. A lot of conflict in my life past few years and I'm actual conflict averse despite my love of debate. This is like a constantly simmering small conflict that I'm just utterly fed up with.

In fact, the emotion made me want to take the '22 and lose the $6,300 value that I was days away from receiving. I just don't want to be in this game anymore. My wife had to be like, "Who cares? We got this car we're driving, don't let it bother you, just order the new car" and went with it.

I'm an obsessive planner that needs to be in control of the major things in life. GM has taken control from me and it's driving me up a wall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I am trying to locate a new Ionic 5 AWD because the Bolt is too slow on a L3 and with the battery limited, they can't make it to school without stopping. That was the primary purpose for buying the Bolt in the first place, to drive 180 miles at highway speed without having to stop to charge. Don't get me wrong, the Bolt is an awesome commuter car, but that is not why I bought it. I expect a sizable settlement on top of the battery replacement. If GM doesn't make it easy, I am sure there are a number of legal remedies. This goes far beyond lemon laws.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well, I am trying to locate a new Ionic 5 AWD because the Bolt is too slow on a L3 and with the battery limited, they can't make it to school without stopping. That was the primary purpose for buying the Bolt in the first place, to drive 180 miles at highway speed without having to stop to charge. Don't get me wrong, the Bolt is an awesome commuter car, but that is not why I bought it. I expect a sizable settlement on top of the battery replacement. If GM doesn't make it easy, I am sure there are a number of legal remedies. This goes far beyond lemon laws.
You sound like a candidate for a buyback/swap. That's probably your best chance at a sizeable settlement. If you attempt to go up against GM yourself, they will probably just ask why you didn’t avail yourself of these options. And the class action lawsuits will mostly just enrich the lawyers.

Reactions: E-nigma

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The class action lawsuits will mostly just enrich the lawyers.
I mean, you are familiar with the TDI settlement, right? I keep saying this wasn't punitive and we're more materially affected. I think this has a real possibility to be a net-win for the people who get in on it. Yes lawyers will get rich too.

Think about it logically, why would GM proactively be following the prescriptions of the lemon laws for various states? They don't really seem to care about customer satisfaction or they would have followed through with better timing and communication, all within their grasp. I think they've just taken the bureaucratic, default stockholder decision, get the most % of people settled with the proposed options to mitigate the potential higher payout to larger number of people.

This "generousness" is all about fast and cheap. Marketing and PR is of course going to mitigate the fallout but I think that's it, fast and cheap (fast being defined differently for them than us), that's their motivation.

I want no part of it, I'll take the swap GM eventually gets to me if they ever do. I know I just made a big deal bout saying I won't let emotions make me make irrational decisions but there's a line, I'm done. Also, it's a court decision so it could be far south of what I'm saying too. If you push all-in with a nut straight and the river nails the other guy a flush, odds didn't mean crap in the end did it?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I mean, you are familiar with the TDI settlement, right? I keep saying this wasn't punitive and we're more materially affected. I think this has a real possibility to be a net-win for the people who get in on it. Yes lawyers will get rich too.

Think about it logically, why would GM proactively be following the prescriptions of the lemon laws for various states? They don't really seem to care about customer satisfaction or they would have followed through with better timing and communication, all within their grasp. I think they've just taken the bureaucratic, default stockholder decision, get the most % of people settled with the proposed options to mitigate the potential higher payout to larger number of people.

This "generousness" is all about fast and cheap. Marketing and PR is of course going to mitigate the fallout but I think that's it, fast and cheap (fast being defined differently for them than us), that's their motivation.

I want no part of it, I'll take the swap GM eventually gets to me if they ever do. I know I just made a big deal bout saying I won't let emotions make me make irrational decisions but there's a line, I'm done. Also, it's a court decision so it could be far south of what I'm saying too. If you push all-in with a nut straight and the river nails the other guy a flush, odds didn't mean crap in the end did it?
I totally agree with you that GM is not being generous at all. They are just doing what they believe is expedient and what is required by law.

My opinion is that anyone who needs/wants more compensation than just a new pack, should at a minimum, take full advantage of the buyback/swap opportunities. If they don't do that, and then attempt to take independent legal action, I think that makes their case more problematic. Do both if you want, and best of luck, but start out with the currently available remedies first. That's what you are doing.

And I hope the class action lawsuits are successful. I'll be waiting for my check in the mail. I may hand it back to GM towards an Equinox EV. I had not read the details of the dieselgate settlement, so thanks for the link.

BTW, my neighbor down the block just bought a Kia Niro Electric. With the pending arrival of his neighbor's ID.4, we will have four out of 17 homes on our side of the street with an EV. Our Bolt and a M3 are the other two EVs. It all started with our 2018 Volt, so I'm taking full credit. :D

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
I totally agree with you that GM is not being generous at all. They are just doing what they believe is expedient and what is required by law.

My opinion is that anyone who needs/wants more compensation than just a new pack, should at a minimum, take full advantage of the buyback/swap opportunities. If they don't do that, and then attempt to take legal action, I think that makes their case more problematic. Do both if you want, and best of luck, but start out with the currently available remedies first. That's what you are doing.

And I hope the class action lawsuits are successful. I'll be waiting for my check in the mail.
I think there could be a wide range of possible outcomes of the class action settlements, from @RacerX00 's extreme scenarios to having to demonstrate actual harm (receipts for rental cars, or proof of extra time spent charging on trips, etc.). Some class action settlements have just been outright checks (usually a few dollars after the lawyers take their share), while others have required customers to submit specific claims with evidence (remember the Equifax breach?).

Even just considering the 80% limitation, the lower bound would be a time calculation because you have to spend 20% more time charging on trips. As a lower bound, say you take one long distance trip, you spend an extra 20 minutes charging because of the 80% limitation, and your time is valued at $15 / hr minimum wage. Congratulations! You get $5!

The upper bound would be 20% of the value of the car, say MSRP. So $40k x 20% is $8k.

That's a big range of possible outcomes.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I think there could be a wide range of possible outcomes of the class action settlements, from @RacerX00 's extreme scenarios to having to demonstrate actual harm (receipts for rental cars, or proof of extra time spent charging on trips, etc.). Some class action settlements have just been outright checks (usually a few dollars after the lawyers take their share), while others have required customers to submit specific claims with evidence (remember the Equifax breach?).

Even just considering the 80% limitation, the lower bound would be a time calculation because you have to spend 20% more time charging on trips. As a lower bound, say you take one long distance trip, you spend an extra 20 minutes charging because of the 80% limitation, and your time is valued at $15 / hr minimum wage. Congratulations! You get $5!

The upper bound would be 20% of the value of the car, say MSRP. So $40k x 20% is $8k.

That's a big range of possible outcomes.
Exactly, why not take the deal that puts you slightly ahead, especially now that it includes $6,300 (which should put you way ahead car for car even if not dollar value) on top if you're "lucky enough" to have gotten strung along this far, it's a no-brainer for most.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
Well on a different note, the Busy Forks and Solterra also have a stop sale/recall with a do not drive warning because the wheels might fall off. Fun stuff.
JFC! Ask for the bulletin, I asked my RC a few hours ago and haven't got a response yet.
Do you have a Toyota BZ4X or Solterra?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts