Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I tried using the forum search but could not find any reference to what I’m seeing...
I have a 2019 with the DC Fast option.
I’m not sure if any of this will be relevant, but my typical commute is about 40 miles, and more often than not I charge at my purchasing dealership on their 25kw DC Fast charger and supplement at home only as needed. I’d venture to guess that since my January purchase of the car and 9900 miles driven, roughly 70% of the total charge was added via DC versus the remainder at home, and I often go weeks at a time without having to plug in at home.
I have recently started to reset my trip odometer when I leave the dealership to head home after charging. In doing so, I began to notice that the mi/kWh values are bizarrely high for some time while driving immediately after these DC charging sessions, often shooting well into the area of 20-30 mi/kWh. Today, I periodically reset the trip odometer throughout the 35 mile trip home and it exhibited the same (albeit decreasing in severity) inaccurate readings the whole way. Additionally, and perhaps more bizarre, the estimated range slowly INCREASED for all but the last 10 miles or so. To clarify, I plugged in at the dealership with about 10% battery and my DC Fast charge automatically ended/completed at 80% with a displayed range of roughly 202 miles (which seems reasonable, if a little on the high side). It was a 95 degree day. I was running the AC on 70. As I headed home, the range steadily increased all the way to 242 miles over the first 20 miles, then decreased to 227 (70% battery) when I parked at home. That was several hours ago, and the car now says 233 miles range and 72% battery. Lastly, the “Energy Detail” page with the pie graph was fluctuating slightly but repeatedly dropping to 0.0 kWh used during regen through the first 10 miles or so traveled.
Sorry for the long post, but this one has me scratching my head. Thanks in advance for any advice / info!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Hey all,

I tried using the forum search but could not find any reference to what I’m seeing...
I have a 2019 with the DC Fast option.
I’m not sure if any of this will be relevant, but my typical commute is about 40 miles, and more often than not I charge at my purchasing dealership on their 25kw DC Fast charger and supplement at home only as needed. I’d venture to guess that since my January purchase of the car and 9900 miles driven, roughly 70% of the total charge was added via DC versus the remainder at home, and I often go weeks at a time without having to plug in at home.
I have recently started to reset my trip odometer when I leave the dealership to head home after charging. In doing so, I began to notice that the mi/kWh values are bizarrely high for some time while driving immediately after these DC charging sessions, often shooting well into the area of 20-30 mi/kWh. Today, I periodically reset the trip odometer throughout the 35 mile trip home and it exhibited the same (albeit decreasing in severity) inaccurate readings the whole way. Additionally, and perhaps more bizarre, the estimated range slowly INCREASED for all but the last 10 miles or so. To clarify, I plugged in at the dealership with about 10% battery and my DC Fast charge automatically ended/completed at 80% with a displayed range of roughly 202 miles (which seems reasonable, if a little on the high side). It was a 95 degree day. I was running the AC on 70. As I headed home, the range steadily increased all the way to 242 miles over the first 20 miles, then decreased to 227 (70% battery) when I parked at home. That was several hours ago, and the car now says 233 miles range and 72% battery. Lastly, the “Energy Detail” page with the pie graph was fluctuating slightly but repeatedly dropping to 0.0 kWh used during regen through the first 10 miles or so traveled.
Sorry for the long post, but this one has me scratching my head. Thanks in advance for any advice / info!
It sounds like your dealership is at a higher elevation than your home, so you will be regenerating energy on the way back. This will offset a lot of the energy required by the car to travel that distance and result in inflated range estimates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Definitely a reasonable assumption, but I work in Norfolk, VA and commute from Moyock, NC. No appreciable elevation change. Additionally, on days that I make my commute without any charging, I see no appreciable difference in efficiency heading to work vice heading home.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
As I headed home, the range steadily increased all the way to 242 miles over the first 20 miles, then decreased to 227
Most likely due to the temperature of the battery which is factored into the GOM's range estimate. I've had my range go up from the car just sitting non-operating in a parking lot. Only variables was the outside temperature and time the car was sitting. Battery temperature alone will change the estimate. Also, turning the HVAC on and off will change it by 20 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts