Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
We have a 2019 model year Bolt with a US built battery (03/19 build date)
and my Parental unit has a 2019 model year with a Korean built battery (dont have the build date, will update).

as of now, both cars show the same:

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE
Same here, no change.

Very rarely above 90% or below 30% as in maybe 10x over 2+ years.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
Make a note ..will they rest Miles to Zero ?

Car has xxxxx miles ...but battery zero ..suppose an asterick when selling it
Unlikely, do you reset an ICE to zero when it had engine replaced? There's more to the EV than battery.

I guess a seller is free to lie and misrepresent even without new batteries.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
Based on the repair procedures (see links below), to avoid delay, ensure the following before bringing the car to the dealer for the remedy:
  • Avoid charging within 24 hours of bringing the car to the dealer. Otherwise, the car needs to be parked outside until 24 hours after the last charging event before the dealer technicians will work on it.
  • Bring the car to the dealer with the state-of-charge below 90%. Otherwise, the car needs to have some of the charge bled off to reduce the state-of-charge in the soon-to-be-removed battery to below 90%.

It is likely that these requirements are to reduce the chance of a spontaneous fire in a car in the dealer's shop, or in a removed battery that is being shipped back.

Hm... so does this sound like "Don't park in your garage until 24h past charging completion"?

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
@TheCyberKnight I'm not pointing it into any direction. I'm merely stating that something said by a dealer service tech is not speaking for GM. What Mitch quotes above I consider far more authoritative on the subject, and that does point to a full battery replacement.

I completely agree it would be a waste of time and effort for battery disassembly done at the dealer level. I would much prefer the dealer simply replace my battery with a new one. And based on the service procedure filed with the NHTSA, that seems to be the case. I can't see a dealership completing individual module replacement within the time allotted for the procedure, unless the mechanic is some sort of magician :D.
I think this also validates several suggesting here that there is no way to detect bad cells without additional expensive equipment. GM rather the dealers install full packs and then get the old packs back to, perhaps, inspect and redeploy as refurbished packs.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
That does concern me with a 21, buy the time they get to the newer low risk cars like mine I might end up trading my potentially good battery for one that came from an older car.
You know, there was a story in the Bibile about someone complaining about the cross they were carrying. LOL

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
UPDATE: Soooooo...dealer still has my Bolt. They called me yesterday and said they needed more time and should be ready today. Service rep claims that this is so new and they just want to make sure everything is right. I was like...oh? Not feeling very confident, as they still haven't called me today. WTF. I'm sure it will be fine though, but maybe being the guinea pig this time wasn't for the best. LOL. :oops:
Well, good thing this is a whole pack replacement then, LOL!

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
My 2019 is US pack. Not part of the original recall, part of the expanded recall.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
I just got word from my dealer. They don’t have equipment to perform the work. They are going to pursue getting it, but can’t give me a date when they will be ready. I have checked other dealers and there are none in the Chattanooga, TN area who can do the work. I either have to wait on a dealer to get the required equipment or drive 2 hours to Atlanta. Nice work GM!
For those able to do a little road trip, GM should really set up a few regional centers (that provide free hotel room & meals while vehicle is in the shop)...

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
I have a around trip commute of 120 miles and most of it is i-85. I use the HOV and Peachpass lanes, if you don't hustle around 75mph people get pissed. So I'm usually anywhere between 70-80mph. I leave the house with 180 miles available (Software reduced to 95% charge). I average around 3.5 per kWh during the summer. I lose about 30% when winter rolls around. By the time I get home I'm usually around 50 miles available. So my typical day is 180 - 50, more than recommended but i have no choice.

When we get the replacement, it will be limited to 80% but because of the higher capacity, I'm figuring that I should get around the same miles I'm getting now and it will increase with new software updates. The worst part of this timing is that winter is coming and we all know how EVs HATE the cold weather. I'm pretty happy with GMs response to this though, a bigger battery and a new warranty that will hopefully take me to retirement 😎
New battery will not have the limit.

Reactions: 9Franko9

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
Yes, thanks for that. But what's crazy is there are no current pages for the Bolt EV or EUV. Just a 404 error.
GM may be getting to release a new page with new info, took the old one down but have not gotten the ok to post the new page.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
Might be appropriate to call your friends at the dealership and ask if they'd be interested or not? This is what I would do.
Agreed, but most likely labor is likely sunk cost, so what little money GM pays + experience is probably worth it.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
UPDATE

My new EVC has found a dealership able and willing to do the battery recall... one day after I placed an order for a new EUV w/ Super Cruise I might add. Anyway, the dealership had zero issues seeing the battery was available based on my VIN # and has placed the order this morning.

I'm curious as to how the battery gets shipped, because the dealership is less than 35 miles from the Holland, MI LG Chem factory where the batteries are made. I don't know if they are shipping from there to dealerships or if they are coming from some distribution center or how the logistics work out... but none the less it will be interesting to see how long it takes to arrive at the dealership. After delivery they will setup an appointment.

I'm wondering what used Bolt prices will look like after the recall and if the $12,500 potential rebate on an EUV next year makes it work trading in after all of this or not to upgrade. It's been a saga for sure... but it's not yet over.
That is so dumb, anyone within 100 miles should really have their battery replaced in a tent outside the factory.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
Tesla actually demonstrated a quick swap several years ago, but did not go much further with it.

Yes, if NIO has to do a battery recall, the actual swapping process could be quick, but making batteries may not be so quick.
With battery swap and having 66 kWh starting in 2020, the 60 kWh batteries may have already been retired for grid battery projects. There would have been no recall.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
Actually, if GM started immediately replacing batteries in December 2020, that would have gone to waste when a few cars with US-made batteries caught fire. Then GM would have had to re-recall both the original recall group and initiate a recall for the previously not-recalled group.
If there are no 60 kWh MIK batteries in circulation, how does one catch fire? It would be case of arson.

1 fire (of the 2020) would not result in a recall.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
A 2019 car with a US-made battery (not originally recalled) also caught fire.

Obviously, those two fires were enough to result in an actual recall of cars with US-made batteries.
Actually, no again, batteries would be DC charged at swap station and probably be just fine. No DCFC fires... all have been L2 charged.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
It's done!!! My salvage Bolt is now back home in the shop with a brand new battery!! Confirmed that it is new and shiny and has the N2.2 sticker.

Now... the oddities. :) First, is that it has exactly the same range and charge percentage as when it left. Which makes me incredibly suspect that they didn't complete the final steps of the recall where they reset the battery info and make it relearn it's capacity and range and what not... So I'll do that. (Luckily I have all the dealer service tools and the info is in the recall notice) I'll also fully charge and then discharge it down to 20% for the upcoming disassembly.

They also didn't recover the refrigerant like I had asked them to do, even though I had them confirm it was done this morning, so now I need to find a mobile service to come recover the R1234yf.

BUT IT'S DONE!!! :D I'll have a video documenting the battery removal and disassembly in the next week or two.
I am monitoring my car while battery is replaced. I brought it in with 67%, noticed tires disappeared, then battery back online at 65% with miles since last charge reset to 0 miles.

Sounds like you got a new sticker, congrats! 😀

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
I didn't realize your car looked like that. Are you planning to get the back end rebuilt and drive it?
Build Back Better by making a longer tail and into a station wagon. 😀

1 - 20 of 41 Posts