Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
WOOT!!!

Just checked my.chevrolet.com site this morning and I'm now in the N212343881 group!!! Interestingly, the site also shows N212343880, now listed as 'INCOMPLETE' rather than the 'NO REMEDY AVAILABLE' or whatever. I figured it would remove me from that group. I'll be calling into my dealership shortly to schedule replacement.

I was told by the concierge line that I'd receive an email when it was ready, which I haven't yet. I also signed up for updates. Maybe it just takes a while...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm getting everything from them telling me that batteries cannot be ordered yet at all, to ghosting, to confusion and "we'll call you back later".
Same thing I'm getting, although I only have one EV Certified dealer within an hour and a half drive. I've reached out multiple times - the first time they said "We'll call you back once it's ordered" - then "We can't order it yet. Try back in a week."

I'll be calling the concierge shortly. I have seen a few messages from people where the concierge setup a 3-way call with the dealer to make arrangements.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a service appointment on the 27th at 9am to bring the Bolt in for battery replacement!

I'll be honest... I'm not super confident that they actually have the battery there, but they said they do. haha Either they're going to call me and cancel/reschedule, or they're going to have my busted up Bolt sitting at their shop until the battery arrives. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
That was a great document. The problem is that now that I've read it, I believe there is zero chance that all of those detailed instructions will be followed correctly, especially after the first couple of swaps. I suppose the upside for me is that since mine is a late 2019 model, I likely won't have to deal with it by the time my lease is up in a year.
What part of the procedure do you think they'd skip on? Honestly for a full pack swap it's not that difficult. Disconnect 12v battery (keep hood popped), remove high voltage disconnect, drain battery coolant, disconnect battery grounds and low voltage wires, disconnect battery high voltage lines, put lift table under car and put weight on it, take the 10 bolts out, lower the lift table, take battery away. Repeat in reverse order to re-assemble with new battery - then reprogram.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Which dealership did you end up at?
Just dropped it off this morning at Harvest Chevrolet in Yakima. On the way there the person I first talked to called me and said "we have a battery on order for you" and wasn't aware that I was on the way (with the Bolt on a flat bed) and had an appt... Oops, so as expected the car will sit at the dealership until the battery arrives and they will replace it. No eta on the battery - I suspect a week or two maybe. I hope it doesn't rain too much in the mean time, since the hatch and door are removed.

Personally I don't care about having to wait - been waiting since July already and it's a salvage vehicle so I really can't complain about getting a brand new longer-range battery in the DeLorean EV swap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Called my dealership today to check on the status of the battery. They say that they do not yet have an ETA on when the battery will arrive. Car has been there a week now, and it's been 2 weeks since they were first asked to order it.

I also asked if they had done any replacements before, and they said that they have the first one going on now.

I've decided to take the entire month of December off in order to work on the EV conversion, so I'm really REALLY hoping that I can get the Bolt back by then.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Aaaaand my dealer lied to me again.

Car not done. Why? Because they don't have a battery. This is getting ridiculous - I don't even know if they've properly ordered it at this point.

The car is currently sitting, apparently without any battery in it, since they started the replacement process before realizing that the "new battery" was someone else's old battery.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is that the dealer in Ellensburg, or did you take it to Yakima?
Yakima. The dealership in Ellensburg isn't EV Certified.

OK, now that is just blatant incompetence. I'd be tempted to demand they reinstall the original battery so I could take my business elsewhere. It wouldn't likely work, but it would feel good to vent at them.
If I didn't have to get the car towed from one place to the next, I would probably do exactly that!

·
Registered
95 Posts
"We are pleased to see parts have been ordered to repair your 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV"

This is the headline to the email I got this morning...haha! Anyone else get this message from the EV Concierge after helping getting a battery? My dealer is still ghosting me - so I don't know the status, but perhaps they actually do have a battery ordered now? fingers crossed

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's done!!! My salvage Bolt is now back home in the shop with a brand new battery!! Confirmed that it is new and shiny and has the N2.2 sticker.

Now... the oddities. :) First, is that it has exactly the same range and charge percentage as when it left. Which makes me incredibly suspect that they didn't complete the final steps of the recall where they reset the battery info and make it relearn it's capacity and range and what not... So I'll do that. (Luckily I have all the dealer service tools and the info is in the recall notice) I'll also fully charge and then discharge it down to 20% for the upcoming disassembly.

They also didn't recover the refrigerant like I had asked them to do, even though I had them confirm it was done this morning, so now I need to find a mobile service to come recover the R1234yf.

BUT IT'S DONE!!! :D I'll have a video documenting the battery removal and disassembly in the next week or two.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am monitoring my car while battery is replaced. I brought it in with 67%, noticed tires disappeared, then battery back online at 65% with miles since last charge reset to 0 miles.

Sounds like you got a new sticker, congrats! 😀
Ahah! Trust me, I was very worried they had put the original battery back in, since I did the same as you. I also did a drive-by of the dealership about an hour before the tow truck showed up, just to check on the car in the parking lot and give myself an out. The original battery was dirty, scratched up, and dinged from the accident (or more likely a fork lift), so it was obvious that they did actually replace it. It's also really easy to see when the back half of the car is gone :D

I just spent the last couple of hours doing some diagnostics. The capacity rating was 185Ah when I checked, I did the Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module 2 "capacity relearn" procedure and it bumped up to 193Ah. I think that's 67.5kWh? I reset the range calculation and it changed from 112 miles up to 130. So yeah, they must have skipped the last couple of steps.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
95 Posts
I didn't realize your car looked like that. Are you planning to get the back end rebuilt and drive it?
What do you mean? Don't all Chevy Bolts look like that? :D

As XJ12 said above - this is a donor vehicle for my 1981 DeLorean. The Bolt does run and drive fine, but the cost to replace the rear end to make it able to be registered and drive on the road would far exceed the purchase price.

I've got a YouTube playlist here that covers the process with the Bolt so far:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts