Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
461 - 480 of 1175 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I’ll get mine done the 6th December. They told me about 4.5 hours work involved.
Got my letter from GM around 17 Nov, I called the dealer for an appointment two days later. Montreal South shore area for those interested. Dealer 'Action Chevrolet'.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
730 Posts
We have a 2019 model year Bolt with a US built battery (03/19 build date)
and my Parental unit has a 2019 model year with a Korean built battery (dont have the build date, will update).

as of now, both cars show the same:

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE
Update:
micantony parental unit with 2019 korean built battery build date: 01/19

also, at the end of October, their recall status changed to “incomplete” and their recall number updated to
  • N212343881
they have not yet contacted Chevrolet (or been contacted) to see about the battery replacement. Will update again when they do so.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
647 Posts
Well dang...dropped off at 7:30, called at 12:30 that they are done and it is on the fast charger and ready to go.

5 hours!

I told them I am impressed, and they told me their guy is fast and has done like 20....so I guess being the 7th was not correct.

Of course if the battery falls out I'll let everybody know...fast is good, doing it right is obviously more important :)
5 hours is roughly what the allowance is in the service document posted in an earlier thread. Plus charging, of course, which could take a while if the dealer has the same no-name anemic 16kw "DCFC" as my local place. Still, congratulations, and I'm glad at least one dealer is moving right along.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2019 Bolt Premier built in August 2018. Battery became available on November 9. Dealer wanted me to bring the car in for a visit before they would order the battery. Was planning to take it to the dealer on November 10, but received buyback offer that day and decided to accept buyback instead.

Completed buyback today (November 27) and bought a used 21 Bolt with the proceeds with $4K left over.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
630 Posts
5 hours is roughly what the allowance is in the service document posted in an earlier thread. Plus charging, of course, which could take a while if the dealer has the same no-name anemic 16kw "DCFC" as my local place. Still, congratulations, and I'm glad at least one dealer is moving right along.
I find the charge rate you mention funny, as I was in the LONG wait the day I bought my 21 they at least a couple hrs before it was all done, said the car was charging but when I left the GOM showed 50mi LOL.
Took it home 6pm fri, plugged it into the 120v porch plug and it sat there till I went to work Mon about 3/4 full.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
2019 Bolt Premier built in August 2018. Battery became available on November 9. Dealer wanted me to bring the car in for a visit before they would order the battery. Was planning to take it to the dealer on November 10, but received buyback offer that day and decided to accept buyback instead.

Completed buyback today (November 27) and bought a used 21 Bolt with the proceeds with $4K left over.
Presumably, the 2021 Bolt is in the "not yet" recall status?

You can still check how long it takes GM to remedy the 2019 Bolt by putting the VIN into the GM or NHTSA recall web site.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
647 Posts
I find the charge rate you mention funny, as I was in the LONG wait the day I bought my 21 they at least a couple hrs before it was all done, said the car was charging but when I left the GOM showed 50mi LOL.
Took it home 6pm fri, plugged it into the 120v porch plug and it sat there till I went to work Mon about 3/4 full.
When I took my used 2017 home, they had left it charging for a couple of hours while we went through all the usual shenanigans, and when I left the charge showed about 1/2 and the GOM said 75 miles. As other have noted, the guess is based on recent driving, which of course had all been on low SoC and short, aggressive trips (test drives). Took a week or so for it to catch up to my driving style and start showing 200 miles & change on hilltop mode charging via 120V. Have a Level 2 charger now but it's a mixed blessing since for the moment I can't charge overnight when the discount power rate is on.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
630 Posts
When I took my used 2017 home, they had left it charging for a couple of hours while we went through all the usual shenanigans, and when I left the charge showed about 1/2 and the GOM said 75 miles. As other have noted, the guess is based on recent driving, which of course had all been on low SoC and short, aggressive trips (test drives). Took a week or so for it to catch up to my driving style and start showing 200 miles & change on hilltop mode charging via 120V. Have a Level 2 charger now but it's a mixed blessing since for the moment I can't charge overnight when the discount power rate is on.
Pretty sure mine never even had much of a test drive, it had 3mi on the ODO when I left with it.
Just a short charge on a crappy charger.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt
32 Posts
Got my battery replaced! I have a 2019
From an earlier post:
Vehicle build date 1/19
Pack part# 24291630 (one of the #'s listed on the NHTSA bulletins)
Code 688380169 (identifies Korean cells?)
S/N 118305RES341788 (higher than some I've seen - maybe later in the KR production run?)
VISTA 2.0 version (original version)
Kwh not listed on label
Got my replacement done - at Boniface Hiers in Melbourne, FL. The tech (they have one that's EV certified) has done or so Bolt batteries (not all from the recall) and did a good job, it looks like. No issues, verified good battery cooling during extended DCFC session at ~50 kW.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt
32 Posts
Got my battery replaced! I have a 2019

Got my replacement done - at Boniface Hiers in Melbourne, FL. The tech (they have one that's EV certified) has done or so Bolt batteries (not all from the recall) and did a good job, it looks like. No issues, verified good battery cooling during extended DCFC session at ~50 kW.
... has done 10 or so Bolt batteries ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's done!!! My salvage Bolt is now back home in the shop with a brand new battery!! Confirmed that it is new and shiny and has the N2.2 sticker.

Now... the oddities. :) First, is that it has exactly the same range and charge percentage as when it left. Which makes me incredibly suspect that they didn't complete the final steps of the recall where they reset the battery info and make it relearn it's capacity and range and what not... So I'll do that. (Luckily I have all the dealer service tools and the info is in the recall notice) I'll also fully charge and then discharge it down to 20% for the upcoming disassembly.

They also didn't recover the refrigerant like I had asked them to do, even though I had them confirm it was done this morning, so now I need to find a mobile service to come recover the R1234yf.

BUT IT'S DONE!!! :D I'll have a video documenting the battery removal and disassembly in the next week or two.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
It's done!!! My salvage Bolt is now back home in the shop with a brand new battery!! Confirmed that it is new and shiny and has the N2.2 sticker.

Now... the oddities. :) First, is that it has exactly the same range and charge percentage as when it left. Which makes me incredibly suspect that they didn't complete the final steps of the recall where they reset the battery info and make it relearn it's capacity and range and what not... So I'll do that. (Luckily I have all the dealer service tools and the info is in the recall notice) I'll also fully charge and then discharge it down to 20% for the upcoming disassembly.

They also didn't recover the refrigerant like I had asked them to do, even though I had them confirm it was done this morning, so now I need to find a mobile service to come recover the R1234yf.

BUT IT'S DONE!!! :D I'll have a video documenting the battery removal and disassembly in the next week or two.
I am monitoring my car while battery is replaced. I brought it in with 67%, noticed tires disappeared, then battery back online at 65% with miles since last charge reset to 0 miles.

Sounds like you got a new sticker, congrats! 😀

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am monitoring my car while battery is replaced. I brought it in with 67%, noticed tires disappeared, then battery back online at 65% with miles since last charge reset to 0 miles.

Sounds like you got a new sticker, congrats! 😀
Ahah! Trust me, I was very worried they had put the original battery back in, since I did the same as you. I also did a drive-by of the dealership about an hour before the tow truck showed up, just to check on the car in the parking lot and give myself an out. The original battery was dirty, scratched up, and dinged from the accident (or more likely a fork lift), so it was obvious that they did actually replace it. It's also really easy to see when the back half of the car is gone :D

I just spent the last couple of hours doing some diagnostics. The capacity rating was 185Ah when I checked, I did the Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module 2 "capacity relearn" procedure and it bumped up to 193Ah. I think that's 67.5kWh? I reset the range calculation and it changed from 112 miles up to 130. So yeah, they must have skipped the last couple of steps.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Wasn't sure of a good thread to add this to. So, I got the 883 for 2019 80% limiter software update on Wednesday at Bay Area dealer. I talked to the service advisor after my car was done about pack replacements. Will try to summarize accurately.

He first claimed that they (or GM) is going from oldest to newest. I told him, well, most of what I've seen getting replacements are MIK '19 packs and also exactly the riskiest ones that we've seen to from the list of fires. On the first point, he was like "you seeing this from the Internet?" Me: "Yes." Him: "Don't believe what you see on the Internet". I still don't believe it based on all the data points here, Bolt FB groups and what Flores said.

He asked me what dealer I bought from. I mentioned another dealer. He said, that his dealer is going around calling people who are up for packs and trying 3x before moving onto the next person. He also said that there's some wonkiness w/the portal they use that's the equivalent of the one where we can check for "remedy not available" or not. He says there can also be a several day lag between when that flips away from "remedy not available" and when it's actually available as in it's available before it gets flipped over. He said he's seen some where it claims "remedy not available" but on another place where they enter the VIN, it lets them order the pack.

I asked him how many packs they're getting a day. He said it can range from 4 to 20. I think he said he recently got 24 at once. I asked him how many EV techs they have and he wouldn't answer other than saying more than most. He also claims their dealer charges the battery fully (vs. some that don't bother) and go for a test drive to see if the car throws any codes.

He did point me to a stack of crates which I could see in the distance which were their packs.

461 - 480 of 1175 Posts