Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
781 - 800 of 920 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got a new battery in my 2017. Took two days, but one was to replace the coolant pump which still had the old style identical connectors rather than the L-handed R-handed pair on the 2nd generation battery packs. It charged to over 250 miles, and we took it on a 200 mile round trip hiking yesterday.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Just got a new battery in my 2017. Took two days, but one was to replace the coolant pump which still had the old style identical connectors rather than the L-handed R-handed pair on the 2nd generation battery packs.
I believe the only thing they replace aside from the battery and the coolant itself is the hose that goes to the connection whose sex has changed from the original battery pack used in early model 2017 Bolts.

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
246 Posts
I believe the only thing they replace aside from the battery and the coolant itself is the hose that goes to the connection whose sex has changed from the original battery pack used in early model 2017 Bolts.
I think it is referred to as "gender" but sex works for me too!
(I always wanted to answer "yes" to that question, in forms) ;)

·
Registered
2017 Premier w/ DCFC, original battery
21 Posts
Today I received a letter from GM stating that the software update is now available for my 2017 Bolt. Was hoping for the other letter but will take this as a sign that things are progressing as outlined by GM.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Today I received a letter from GM stating that the software update is now available for my 2017 Bolt. Was hoping for the other letter but will take this as a sign that things are progressing as outlined by GM.
Have you checked you recall status and number via 1 of the methods at the top of Battery replacement recall remedy tracking summary? A pack might already be available for your VIN.

I received an email on 11/19/21 telling me the 883 software update was available for my '19 (it came out first for '19's and for the rest of Bolts later). That was the day it was announced. I received a snail mail shortly afterward (the next week, I think). I had the work done on 12/1/21 (after some runaround by the dealer). Weeks after that, I received a snail mail reminder to get the above done.

I also was flipped from 883 to 881 on 12/3/21 and remedy not yet available was gone, meaning a pack is available for my VIN. I've not been notified of this. And, I'm holding off on this work until I receive a result from my buyback request that I opened on 9/14/21.

·
Registered
2017 Premier w/ DCFC, original battery
21 Posts
Have you checked you recall status and number
Yes, still 883 and INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE. Not sure why I don't get emails about this stuff, GM and the dealer have all my contact info, but I'll check the status more often based on your feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is it me or battery replacements are on hold currently? Probably due to the Holidays/Covid or are they in the process of gutting the old cells out of the pulled packs and replacing them with new cells before shipping out the "refurb" packs back out? I'm following several forums in the US and Canada and there seems to be less "I got my new battery" messages going out recently.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Is it me or battery replacements are on hold currently? Probably due to the Holidays/Covid or are they in the process of gutting the old cells out of the pulled packs and replacing them with new cells before shipping out the "refurb" packs back out? I'm following several forums in the US and Canada and there seems to be less "I got my new battery" messages going out recently.
They seem to be doing eligibility in batches. The October 2021 batch was spread across a few weeks, but it looks like the November 2021 batch was done on the 5th of that month, and there appear to have been two December 2021 batches, one on the 3rd and one around the 21st or so. So it is not surprising that the forums and social media postings about battery replacements come in bursts shortly after each batch (those who check the recall web site every day will find out on the first day, while those who wait for postal mail will find out over the following days or weeks).

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
459 Posts
I knew I was "on the list" at my local dealer but as of 2 weeks ago the battery had not been ordered. Got the call yesterday that it would be delivered today. Dropped the car off yesterday late, got a rental covered by the dealer at Hertz (just in case I had to boogie for jury duty - on standby this week). It was done this afternoon - the guy at the dealer said they have it down to 4 hours for these after having done a bunch, and they do a coolant and hose change as part of the project.

When I brought it in, the GOM was saying about 150-160 (winter, with morning heat and defrost) miles as range after charging to Hilltop Mode. I took a little drive around and knocked it down to about 2/3 charge before bringing it in. When received, with full charge indicated, the GOM was about 235 miles. IOW, it's working, and there's more capacity ("maximum" after a few minutes driving was up to almost 280 miles, ha!). And now I can charge it overnight again!

FWIW, Hertz had to scrounge up a Chevy to rent me. Trailblazer. That's considered "compact" in the SUV/crossover world, but it's about double the size of the Bolt, outside (most of that seemed to be in the trunk). Didn't drive it much, but it was OK. I wouldn't buy one, but it wasn't actively evil to drive, and managed (according to its computer) to return mid-20s mpg average (about what I used to get out of the anciente Mazda). Of course, it has a bazillion-gears automatic (why not just make it a CVT?), some kind of buzzy little engine trying to sound like a V8 but failing, automatic engine stop, etc.etc. all of which makes it a different driving experience from what I used to have (stick shifts...). I was very happy to get the Bolt back.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good to hear the replacements are still going on. I have an app on my phone that checks the gm recall website every 12 hours for me so I should find out pretty quick once my turn comes.
Last week I called the concierge to try and get an ETA out of him but that didn't work. He did say he would add a note about my interest in getting a battery soon for what it's worth. Surprised 2019 MIK packs are left behind. I guess all of this doesn't mean anything at this point and it's all on an individual basis now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dropped my ‘19 Premier off at the dealer for my battery replacement yesterday!! Should be ready tomorrow (although they admit it will be their first replacement, so fingers crossed).

·
Registered
28 Posts
One more done.

2018, build date January 2018.

I saw my recall switched to '881 in early December and received the letter a week or so later. I called the dealer to order the battery. They wouldn't order the battery unless they had the car. They don't have room to store batteries indoors and previous customers ordered batteries and then didn't show up to have them installed. It was too hard to reassign the batteries or send them back, so they instituted this policy. They gave me a rental.

It took them 10 days to get the battery and install it. Increased capacity and new warranty, so all is well.

I noticed they have a bunch of EUVs that they can't sell lined up right in front.

Automotive parking light Car Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
624 Posts
I should have been clearer. When I said "this", I meant actually replacing the battery, not the ability to make the appointment. The potential replacement I have on order isn't slated for delivery until March/April. I'm torn on what to do here. I generally like the car, and having a spare vehicle around is useful when one of the primaries is in the shop. Keeping it might be fine. I was at 57k when I started the SR, so my buyback number is going to be around 24k.

In any case, I'm going to have to fish or cut bait soon.
Two things happened on the same day (yesterday). I got my weekly call from GM. I told the advisor that I wanted to see the repurchase offer. The guy was nice, but told me that since I had shifted to "remedy available", there was no repurchase on the table any longer. I mentioned that the letter I had from GM listed no expiration terms on their approval, nor had I received any sort of formal communication from GM rescinding the offer to repurchase or swap. I got a sigh, and a story about how I'd have to restart the process all over again.

Later that day, I got a call from the dealership I contacted for a replacement battery, and was told that my battery was in. This is roughly 3 weeks earlier than expected. They told me 6 weeks, and it came in after 3. Maybe they had some cancellations, but more likely the 6 week estimate was some BS number they made up.

I imagine I'll just have the battery replaced, and when my number comes up with Tesla, I'll make a decision. It'll be interesting to see if the rumored ventilated seats come to the Y in time. I kind of liked those when I tried the EUV.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
339 Posts
Later that day, I got a call from the dealership I contacted for a replacement battery, and was told that my battery was in. This is roughly 3 weeks earlier than expected. They told me 6 weeks, and it came in after 3. Maybe they had some cancellations, but more likely the 6 week estimate was some BS number they made up.
First lesson I learned in customer service years ago...tell someone it will be here in two weeks and it goes one day over and they will be screaming at you....tell them it will be here in 4 weeks and it follows the original two weeks plus a day and you are a hero. Same end result but people react totally different.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
First lesson I learned in customer service years ago...tell someone it will be here in two weeks and it goes one day over and they will be screaming at you....tell them it will be here in 4 weeks and it follows the original two weeks plus a day and you are a hero. Same end result but people react totally different.
This is the service mantra of "under promise, over deliver".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got my battery replacement scheduled for my 2017! Oddly, it was because I got the letter for the new software update and went in to get that done. They didn't actually do the update, but said they could order a battery for me and had done a few at that dealer already (I had called maybe 2 months ago and they said they hadn't heard anything then). So the battery is in and it's scheduled to be replaced Monday!

2017 Bolt LT (build date late 2016)
Got update letter 12/31/21
Went to dealer for update and they ordered battery 1/3/22
Battery at dealer 1/7/22
Scheduled replacement 1/10/22
This is in the Milwaukee, WI area where Bolts are a rarity (I had mine shipped in from CT August 2021).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just had the battery replaced on my 2017. I'm in north Texas (DFW area) and own 4 Bolts (2017, 2018, and 2x2020). I started the buyback/swap process on our 2017 in late August with the hope of swapping into a 2022 EUV with Supercruise. Got a call from the EV Concierge in mid-December letting me know that my 2017 was now eligible for battery replacement. When I checked the VIN, not only was my 2017 eligible, my 2018 was also eligible. Called a couple of the closer dealers and was told that they had a waiting list and would add me to it and that once they got to me, expect 10-14 days for battery shipment due to logistics. I then called a dealer in Denton where we bought one of our 2020s and they said no problem doing it right away and gave me a service appointment for Jan 10. The only negative was that they insisted that I had to bring the car in to read the VIN from the ODB port before they could/would order the battery. I was eager to get this done ASAP so rather than fight, I made the trip on 1/3. The dealer called the evening of 1/6 saying the battery arrived! (note: 3 days, not 10-14 :rolleyes:). Dropped the car off that evening and monitored the car via the MyChevy app. Observed the battery replaced and began charging ~2 pm on 1/7. The dealer was obviously using L2 charger - it didn't finish charging to 100% until around 9 PM. I'll be picking it up today and dropping off my 2018 in exchange. I'm loving the thought of my two older Bolts getting a range boost in addition to the removal of battery concerns. The dealer indicated that my 2017 was their 7th replacement but cryptically indicated that the pace was soon to pick up substantially. For what it's worth, when the Concierge mentioned that the 2017 was eligible, she said that getting the battery replaced would NOT impact the buyback. I'm not confident that this was correct. Honestly, with the upgraded/new battery my motivation for the swap/repurchase is essentially eliminated.

781 - 800 of 920 Posts