Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
801 - 820 of 920 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
battery replaced today.
Had my battery replaced and picked it up today. (in san leandro california) My purchase date was march 2018 . Took 24 hours from drop off to the call that it was done, then left overnight to charge. Dealer says they do about 5 a day, sounds like a lot but I'm guessing there is still a long way to go. It does charge above 95%, (that is, it's not stuck on hill top reserve as some people have mentioned.) The cars first estimate of the battery capacity, using torque pro, is 65 kwh. So, all looks good.

attached: battery cases at the dealer on thursday. pile had changed significantly by saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hadn't gotten a notification (email or snail mail) yet. I just happen to check my recall status this morning and it showed up as "881 - INCOMPLETE". So I called my nearest dealer and asked if they've been doing battery replacements. He said yes. 5-7 days to receive the battery, 1-2 days to replace. I gave him my info and hoping to get a call from them next week to schedule the replacement. 2017 MY, 12/16 Build date. My thanks to the forum for keeping me updated!
12/9: Called dealer to initiate the battery order.
12/27: Dealer left me a message that the battery arrived.
12/28: Called dealer to make an appointment. 9:45 am was available next day.
12/29: Dropped off Bolt in the morning.
12/30: Got the call in the morning that the car was ready. Picked it up in less than 24 hours from drop-off.

They charged it to about 86% and it had over 230 miles on the GOM whichever I've never seen during the winter.
They never told me NOT to charge 24 hours prior nor to have the battery under 90%.
Drove it around without HTR, charged it to 100% and it looks like the bigger capacity battery. I also confirmed the battery sticker says ver. 2.2.

All in all a pretty painless experience. This was at Allen Gwynn Chevrolet in Glendale, CA. They say they do about 2 replacements a day. I feel like I have a brand-new car that's well broken in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having quite the experience so far - this is going to be a much longer timeline than I expected:
12/3/2021: Car switched to 881, Called dealer to initiate battery order. Was told I'd be called for an appointment the "3rd week of December"

"3rd Week of December": Heard Nothing

1/3/2022: After a month I'd heard nothing, so I called the dealer. Left a voicemail.

1/4-1/9: Called multiple times, was never able to get a person on the line, left multiple messages, never got a response

1/10: Finally got in contact with a person. They told me the order never got put in for some reason, so there was no battery for me and they'd have to start the order process again. Except now they have a huge backlog and the way the process works with GM, they can only order 8 at a time, do the repairs, send the old 8 back, and order 8 more. So they can't even order my battery until the end of January.

Oh well. I'm not in any rush. I park outdoors anyway and I'm driving less currently due to winter weather & omicron

·
Registered
634 Posts
Dealer just called and said the battery was in for my 2017 Premier so I'll drop it off tomorrow night for the two day repair. Apparently when they did the latest software update they saw it was available and ordered one. He said it doesn't effect my buyback since the car gets a battery whether me or the next owner. I guess I'll let my advisor know since I assume they are out of sync.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's too bad that all Bolt EV people don't participate in a single list. There are plenty of folks in the Bolt EV and EUV Facebook group that have a similar list going. I'd imagine that both of these lists are only partial because of this. Chevy Bolt EV and EUV Owners Group

Completed battery swap recalls on the FB list as of today:
2019: 254
2018: 151
2017: 29

·
Registered
63 Posts
even if we assume the facebook ground is a 10th of the actual number of batteries done, it's still a small fraction of those that need doing.
I wonder why I ended up so far up the list that my 2018 is already done. well, good luck for me, but I guess I'll never know.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Two things happened on the same day (yesterday). I got my weekly call from GM. I told the advisor that I wanted to see the repurchase offer. The guy was nice, but told me that since I had shifted to "remedy available", there was no repurchase on the table any longer. I mentioned that the letter I had from GM listed no expiration terms on their approval, nor had I received any sort of formal communication from GM rescinding the offer to repurchase or swap. I got a sigh, and a story about how I'd have to restart the process all over again.
One step forward, one step back. 3 calls to Stevens Creek Chevrolet, and they can't tell me how long they need the car. Each time, I'm told a Service Advisor will get back to me on that, but no call. Additionally, I'm told they don't have loaner cars "because Coronavirus". Never mind they gave me one last year when they had to replace the HV charger. Plenty of Coronavirus then. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
My former 2017 Bolt's timeline:

• November 10, 2021: car was repurchased by GM.
  • December 15, 2021: recall website changed to the ...883 GM campaign number for the interim remedy (80% limit + "advanced diagnostics" software).
  • December 23, 2021: recall website indicated that "Currently, there are no recalls or programs associated with your 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV".
  • January 4, 2022: I got the ...883 recall interim remedy postal mail.
  • January 10, 2022: I got the ...881 recall final remedy eligibility postal mail.

Seems like whatever part of GM is mailing the letters still thinks that I own the car, but whatever part of GM that is storing repurchased cars did not waste any time doing the final remedy when the car became eligible (it seems to have become eligible in the late December batch, although it was not made eligible in the early December batch that included many 2017 cars).

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Since my '19 MIU pack car got flipped to 881 on 12/3/21, I wouldn't be surprised if its pack gets changed soon after I give it back for repurchase. I wonder if the dealer can easily buy it to do that and put it up for sale themselves.

I haven't received any 881 snail mail or email yet.

I've gotten at least two snail mails for 883, including one that arrived well after I had it applied. Was a reminder...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got my notice that they are ready to replace my battery yesterday (1/11/22). I have an appointment with my dealer for Friday, but I suspect that will change as I doubt that they actually have the battery. We shall see. My bolt is a 2019, I believe it was built in jan 2019, bought in October 2019. About 60k miles now so we do cycle the battery quite a bit, and occasionally need to charge to 100 and dcfc, so the extra range and restoring 100% will be more than welcome!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,294 Posts
Just got my notice that they are ready to replace my battery yesterday (1/11/22). I have an appointment with my dealer for Friday, but I suspect that will change as I doubt that they actually have the battery. We shall see. My bolt is a 2019, I believe it was built in jan 2019, bought in October 2019. About 60k miles now so we do cycle the battery quite a bit, and occasionally need to charge to 100 and dcfc, so the extra range and restoring 100% will be more than welcome!
An appointment with the dealer for exactly what? There is a process to order the battery and have it delivered to the dealer. If it's not delivered, then it's a waste of time. And while there are dealers who think the Bolt has to be brought in to order the battery, it simply isn't the case.

I strongly advise unless you need some other service, not to bring your car into the dealer until they confirm that they have your battery on the premises. Anything else is a waste of time.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Since my '19 MIU pack car got flipped to 881 on 12/3/21, I wouldn't be surprised if its pack gets changed soon after I give it back for repurchase. I wonder if the dealer can easily buy it to do that and put it up for sale themselves.
Perhaps that is why your repurchase case got a dealer to host relatively easily compared to others?

·
Registered
24 Posts
An appointment with the dealer for exactly what? There is a process to order the battery and have it delivered to the dealer. If it's not delivered, then it's a waste of time. And while there are dealers who think the Bolt has to be brought in to order the battery, it simply isn't the case.

I strongly advise unless you need some other service, not to bring your car into the dealer until they confirm that they have your battery on the premises. Anything else is a waste of time.

ga2500ev
i just made the appointment through the app to get the process started. I never expected it to actually happen, just getting the ball rolling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2018 Bolt owner in Canada, purchased Jan 2018. Was regularly checking recall site and today it was switched to N212343881. Called and scheduled appointment for my battery swap. Earliest available date was Feb 1.
2022-01-12: Manufacture Recall Number switched to N212343881.
2022-02-01: Battery Swap appointment.

They confirmed via email I should follow the instructions in https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V560-5618.pdf
i.e. "The vehicle must have a minimum of 24 hours between the last high voltage battery charge (plug in charging) and the
beginning of the high voltage battery removal. In addition, the high voltage battery must be at a state of charge (SOC)
less than 90%.
If the customer states the time of the last plug in charge is less than 24 hours, park vehicle outside until at
least 24 hours has occurred from the last plug in charge time provided by the customer. The total time
between the last plug in charge and the battery removal must be at least 24 hours."

Whether it is still valid or not, I'm going to do it anyway to ensure they don't have to wait any time before doing the battery replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also received a letter on Jan 10, 2022 for my 2017 Bolt. Replacement scheduled for Jan 20. Dealer said they take about a week to get in, but he wanted to add a few days to be sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
2017 Bolt LT built 5/17 58k miles occasional use below 70 miles always charged to 100%
12/22/21 - recall flipped to 881
12/27/21 called dealer to order battery
1/8/22 -received snail mail to get 883 update
1/9/22 - received snail mail from GM that battery is available and to call dealer
1/10/22 - got a call from dealer that battery arrived and scheduled for 1/20/22 replacement
Dealer will have a rental waiting when I drop off on the 20th and said it will take 2 days to replace battery if I drop off car first thing in the morning (8am). Never advised about don't charge 24 hours before scheduled date or below 90%SOC. I tried to give the service advisor a hint or jog his memory in case he forgot by asking if there's anything I should do to the car before I drop it off but he gave me an annoyed/dismissive look so I figured it's not my job to educate them if they don't know about ordering a coolant hose, using vac and fill, or choosing the correct software to remove 90% charge limit. If it takes them longer I don't care I have a rental car to use.

2017 Bolt Premier unknown build date 60k miles rarely below 70 miles half time on HTR and half the time 100%
12/22/21- flipped to 881
12/29/21 - called different dealer to order battery
1/8/22 - letter mail from GM advising to get the update
12/29/21 - called different dealer to order battery
1/9/22/- letter mail from GM that battery is available and to call dealer
Still no call from second dealer if battery arrived or not

·
Registered
8 Posts
2017 Bolt Premier built 6/17.

Purchased used in September 2019 from Carvana with 61000 miles on it. Since then it's been my daily driver to/from work, around town, etc. It's charged at home up to the HTR cap. I've taken it on ~8 trips that required use of L3 charging. Generally, those stops occurred with less than 10% capacity remaining (twice after GM guidance to not deplete below 70 miles). Aside from those trips, it would rarely get below 50%.

2022-01-11 - Got the letter informing me my car has been assigned to the 881 recall group
2022-01-11 - Called dealer to schedule the appointment. Was told they are doing one per week on Mondays because they only have one tech certified to perform the replacement. On the schedule for 2022-02-21.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,624 Posts
....2022-01-11 - Called dealer to schedule the appointment. Was told they are doing one per week on Mondays because they only have one tech certified to perform the replacement. On the schedule for 2022-02-21.
Dang, is this the only dealer in the area?
Maybe another one has more experience and can do more than 'one per week'. It's not a long job.... :rolleyes:

801 - 820 of 920 Posts