Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
UPDATE: dealer called me earlier today and said the new battery pack has arrived already. It was ordered Friday 10/8, so that 7-10 day estimate only took 5. I am bringing my vehicle in tomorrow evening. They said I should hopefully have it back Friday night. I'll keep you all posted.
Make a note ..will they rest Miles to Zero ?

Car has xxxxx miles ...but battery zero ..suppose an asterick when selling it

·
Registered
5,713 Posts

Unlikely, do you reset an ICE to zero when it had engine replaced? There's more to the EV than battery.

I guess a seller is free to lie and misrepresent even without new batteries.

Reactions: LarryO and OneEV

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

No, but you, GM, and Chevrolet dealers should all have records of when (date and mileage) the battery was replaced for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
That's strange. Your vehicle should be in the priority group I would think. I have the same year and build date.

EDIT: nevermind. My build date is 11/18.
So far, the limited reports have shown the following pattern:
  • First remedy group includes some (but not all) 2019 cars with build dates in September, October, November 2018.
  • First remedy group includes at least some cars other than the above that were waiting at dealers for batteries or modules for previously required repairs.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
165 Posts
UPDATE: dealer called me earlier today and said the new battery pack has arrived already. It was ordered Friday 10/8, so that 7-10 day estimate only took 5. I am bringing my vehicle in tomorrow evening. They said I should hopefully have it back Friday night. I'll keep you all posted.
So Congrads
this is the first one I have heard about

·
Registered
94 Posts

Good point. I will record the miles before in case they do. Either way, it's a moot point. There are a lot of other components besides the battery that still have wear and tear. Plus, I keep my cars a very long time. So 10 or so years from now I'll probably forget the battery was even replaced. I'm getting old. LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
BIG update. GM released the repair bulletins for battery replacements today. Since there are two different recall numbers (one for the 17-19s and one for 20-22s), I was wondering if the repair procedures would differ in regards to diagnosis/replacement/ software, etc.

BOTH bulletins include the exact same repair times and part #s. Neither bulletin offers any alternative for replacing individual modules. As far as I am concerned, this is the last piece of evidence I needed to indicate that EVERY Bolt is getting a whole new battery, rather than modules.
Owning a 2020, this is the best news I’ve heard.
Previously I’d read that 2020 and newer Bolts, already on newer chemistry pouch cells, would get spot repair based on bad modules detected in their battery packs. Only as good as detection and much greater complexity work for module replacement and battery rebalancing. Sounded like a nightmare going somewhere to happen. Hope they stick to whole battery manufacture and replacement. Keeps key skills focused on what they do best.
Many Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
So, showing up late would be bad...
But showing up early is also bad...
I was thinking more of proper process validation, which is a lengthy process and may have saved all this trouble if done right to begin with. Rushing a fix without a very thorough FMECA and process review could result in new problems.

As far as being first for install vs later... Techs will carefully follow steps at first but may make errors due to unfamiliarity. Later errors will be because they thought they knew the process but missed something. Later still, there will be errors due to shortcuts taken (we don't really need to do that step) and just trying to go too fast. Errors from distraction can always occur, from being interrupted in a normal shop environment. Most of these errors are far less likely in a devoted assembly line. But I wouldn't be overly worried about complete assembly replacement.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got one built in 11/18 that gets driven all day and has lots of charges to 95% and discharges to 5%. Did other highest risk owners get both an email last week and a snail mail recall letter this week?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Good point. I will record the miles before in case they do. Either way, it's a moot point. There are a lot of other components besides the battery that still have wear and tear. Plus, I keep my cars a very long time. So 10 or so years from now I'll probably forget the battery was even replaced. I'm getting old. LOL
Based on the repair procedures (see links below), to avoid delay, ensure the following before bringing the car to the dealer for the remedy:
  • Avoid charging within 24 hours of bringing the car to the dealer. Otherwise, the car needs to be parked outside until 24 hours after the last charging event before the dealer technicians will work on it.
  • Bring the car to the dealer with the state-of-charge below 90%. Otherwise, the car needs to have some of the charge bled off to reduce the state-of-charge in the soon-to-be-removed battery to below 90%.
  • Do not leave loose heavy objects in the car.

It is likely that these requirements are to reduce the chance of a spontaneous fire in a car in the dealer's shop, or in a removed battery that is being shipped back.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Based on the repair procedures (see links below), to avoid delay, ensure the following before bringing the car to the dealer for the remedy:
  • Avoid charging within 24 hours of bringing the car to the dealer. Otherwise, the car needs to be parked outside until 24 hours after the last charging event before the dealer technicians will work on it.
  • Bring the car to the dealer with the state-of-charge below 90%. Otherwise, the car needs to have some of the charge bled off to reduce the state-of-charge in the soon-to-be-removed battery to below 90%.

It is likely that these requirements are to reduce the chance of a spontaneous fire in a car in the dealer's shop, or in a removed battery that is being shipped back.

Hm... so does this sound like "Don't park in your garage until 24h past charging completion"?

Reactions: AdrianC and GJETSON

·
Registered
916 Posts
My 2019 was built in nov 2018….I should hear soon I guess.

Reactions: Rthardison

·
Registered
50 Posts
Owning a 2020, this is the best news I’ve heard.
Previously I’d read that 2020 and newer Bolts, already on newer chemistry pouch cells, would get spot repair based on bad modules detected in their battery packs. Only as good as detection and much greater complexity work for module replacement and battery rebalancing. Sounded like a nightmare going somewhere to happen. Hope they stick to whole battery manufacture and replacement. Keeps key skills focused on what they do best.
Many Thanks for the info!!!
I am still hearing that 2020 and newer are just going to get certain modules replaced......not whole battery.....
which I can see GM doing..... the minimum to get by...... least cost.....
I have zero confidence my 2021 will be fixed correctly, so I am getting a buy back....
am I happy about this? NO, I really like this car otherwise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
  • Do not leave loose heavy objects in the car.

My service rep at the dealer told me that I needed to bring the vehicle in at 50% charge or less. She said I could get away close to 60%, but not any greater than that. This is the only requirement she said I needed to follow before bringing it in. I am bringing it in tomorrow with less than 50%.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got one built in 11/18 that gets driven all day and has lots of charges to 95% and discharges to 5%. Did other highest risk owners get both an email last week and a snail mail recall letter this week?
Both notifications, yes. My battery is already at the dealer and I'm getting it installed later this week. Check the recall status on your VIN. I would think you'd be in the same higher priority group, as mine is the same build date. And I also charge to 90% and discharge very low. A lot of times in the orange.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
My service rep at the dealer told me that I needed to bring the vehicle in at 50% charge or less. She said I could get away close to 60%, but not any greater than that. This is the only requirement she said I needed to follow before bringing it in. I am bringing it in tomorrow with less than 50%.
Don't know why they said that. See page 3 of the 2 docs at Post when you are Notified to have your Battery Replaced. As outlined in the docs, if you charge it at all within 24 hours of bringing it, it will delay them working on your car.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I am still hearing that 2020 and newer are just going to get certain modules replaced......not whole battery.....
which I can see GM doing..... the minimum to get by...... least cost.....
I have zero confidence my 2021 will be fixed correctly, so I am getting a buy back....
am I happy about this? NO, I really like this car otherwise.
I think this might be the same document cwerdna is referencing in his posts, but this is the actual dealer repair bulleting from the NHTSA website. Very clearly a full battery replacement.

81 - 100 of 169 Posts