Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Post when you are Notified to have your Battery Replaced

147K views 1K replies 264 participants last post by  Lin L 
#1 · (Edited)
Post when you are Notified to have your Battery/Modules are scheduled to be replaced. NOTE: Member Boltage has created Spreadsheet and IS for the mopst part keeping Track ...THANK YOU!

We should start seeing GM / Dealers calling the first Bolts in to be repaired within 10 days or so

EDIT: Inserted @boltage table from post below.
NameModel YearBattery OriginBuild DateHigh Risk UseDate Notified Remedy AvailableDate RemediedNotes
@knoepler2019KR10/2018Sometimes charge to 100%August 2021, delayed to October 8, 2021Originally selected for pilot program of module replacement (pilot program cancelled). On hold awaiting repurchase offer. Dealer received new battery October 14, 2021.
@LKing2019KR11/2018Yes, commonly charged 100%, discharged below 30%.August 19, 2021, delayedRepurchased by GM September 16, 2021.
@SodePop201911/2018Yes, often below 30%August 21, 2021, delayed to October 8, 2021October 15, 2021 (scheduled)
@Hank Grady2019Yes, charged to 100% before recalls, but rarely discharged below 70 miles.October 14, 2021October 18, 2021 (scheduled)
@jms10512019KR09/2018Used to charge to 100% regularly.October 15, 2021Dealer said that it would order the battery but it would take three months.
Facebook C.L.C.2017KROctober 12, 2021Car at dealer since August 2021 waiting for battery module replacement.
Facebook A.S.M.2019KR09/2018Yes, 100% charging, deep discharging daily commuteOctober 12, 2021October 19, 2021 (scheduled)Repurchase denied in April 2021
Reddit u/iNGneer2019October 12, 2021Swap denied earlier in 2021
Facebook C.C.October 13, 2021Nearby dealer said that they did not want to do the recall work because car was not bought there (bought used from non-Chevrolet dealer).
Facebook M.W.October 14, 2021Found that most dealers in area are not equipped to do the recall repair, and that one that may does not have loaner cars due to shortage.
Facebook R.T.2019Occasional 100% charging, "never less than 20%".October 12, 2021October 25, 2021 (scheduled)
Facebook R.W.2019October 15, 2021October 19, 2021 (scheduled)
Facebook L.D.2019KR10/2018October 8, 2021October 19, 2021 (scheduled)
Facebook C.W.B.October 15, 2021Call from GM, who will call a local dealer to schedule remedy.
Facebook P.L.2019October 14, 2021Call from GM, offered to do 3-way call with local dealer who was too busy to schedule.
Facebook K.M.2019October 16, 2021Call from GM which left message.
Facebook T.K.2019October 16, 2021Checked myChevrolet.
Facebook B.L.2018October 16, 2021Call from GM.
Facebook C.O.2017October 12-16, 2021Call from GM. Car at dealer since August 2021 waiting for battery module replacement.
Perhaps also a table of "not yet":

NameModel YearBattery OriginBuild DateHigh Risk UseDate Checked Remedy Not Yet AvailableNotes
@AZBILL2017KR01/2017October 8, 2021
@Bolt2019201912/2018October 8, 2021
@GJETSON2017KR12/2016October 8, 2021
@micantony2019US03/2019October 8, 2021
@micantonyparental unit2019KROctober 8, 2021
@SteveCaz2017KROctober 8, 2021
@OneEV2017KRYesOctober 8, 2021
@p7wang2019RarelyOctober 8, 2021
@Nuts n Bolt2020US07/2020RarelyOctober 8, 2021
@quirkySquirt2017KR08/2017October 8, 2021
@GuyDudeman2019NoOctober 8, 2021
@boltage2017KR12/2016Occasionally (not now)October 12, 2021
@CyberBill2019KR10/2018Unknown (not now)October 11, 2021Recent salvage purchase, unknown driving / charging history, former rental car. Concierge said "in the next group" and "in the next 45 to 60 days".
@rlhammon2019KR10/2018YesOctober 12, 2021
@Rthardison2019KR10/2018UnknownOctober 12, 2021Recently purchased used, possibly was a rideshare car.
@Digi201911/2018October 13, 2021
@AdrianC2021USOctober 14, 2021

See less See more
#2 ·
BIG update. GM released the repair bulletins for battery replacements today. Since there are two different recall numbers (one for the 17-19s and one for 20-22s), I was wondering if the repair procedures would differ in regards to diagnosis/replacement/ software, etc.

BOTH bulletins include the exact same repair times and part #s. Neither bulletin offers any alternative for replacing individual modules. As far as I am concerned, this is the last piece of evidence I needed to indicate that EVERY Bolt is getting a whole new battery, rather than modules.

#88 ·
BIG update. GM released the repair bulletins for battery replacements today. Since there are two different recall numbers (one for the 17-19s and one for 20-22s), I was wondering if the repair procedures would differ in regards to diagnosis/replacement/ software, etc.

BOTH bulletins include the exact same repair times and part #s. Neither bulletin offers any alternative for replacing individual modules. As far as I am concerned, this is the last piece of evidence I needed to indicate that EVERY Bolt is getting a whole new battery, rather than modules.
Owning a 2020, this is the best news I’ve heard.
Previously I’d read that 2020 and newer Bolts, already on newer chemistry pouch cells, would get spot repair based on bad modules detected in their battery packs. Only as good as detection and much greater complexity work for module replacement and battery rebalancing. Sounded like a nightmare going somewhere to happen. Hope they stick to whole battery manufacture and replacement. Keeps key skills focused on what they do best.
Many Thanks for the info!!!

#9 ·
I don't have a link, just a few screenshots. If I can get a link later, I will post it. The first is for the older models, and the second is the newer models.
View attachment 38161

View attachment 38162
Thanks for posting. So, per the excerpt below and the number at the top of your screenshot, these are the "final service bulletins" that GM told dealers at the end of last month would be released "mid-October or sooner." They only apply to the small subset of highest priority vehicles. Nobody else is eligible until GM advises dealers at a future date.

"the high priority subset of VINs will be closed in N212343880 (17-19MY) and N212345940 (20-22MY) and moved into N212343881 and N212345941, respectively. . . . . All other VINs will remain in “Incomplete-Remedy Not Available" status in N212343880 (17-19MY) and N212345940 (20-22MY) and will not be eligible for the final remedy until GM informs dealers at a future date. We expect the final remedy bulletins to be released mid-October or sooner."

One lingering question is whether this is also the final remedy for all those not currently eligible.

SunBolt

#6 · (Edited)
So GM left themselves the option of battery or module swaps in the first documents, but took the better part of valor, and decided to just swap packs for everybody. I'm happy. The Bolt is just getting nicely broken in and everything works. OK, after 4 years it's time to replace the rear wiper blade, it's streaking a little bit.

Edit: according to a Chevy tech posting on facebook today, everybody will get a battery pack swap.

#11 ·
Nothing solid date wise here, I am not a Bolt owner, but I was in touch with a salesman about buying one just before they expanded the recall. I had an email from him this week stating "i am being told the bolts are going to have the parts to fix the issue they were having ; the sold ones get fixed first, but it is looking like beginning of November!". I most of the new Bolts on their lot have sold signs, probably 6-8 of them.

I guess this is the word from GM to the dealers.

#12 ·
Just received this email this morning:

James,​
We are grateful for your patience as we work to advance solutions for your Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV. Our team is diligently working on solutions to address key concerns we know you are having during this time.​
Initial replacement battery modules for Bolt EVs and Bolt EUVs have begun shipping to certain Chevrolet EV dealers. If your battery was manufactured during specific build timeframes where we believe battery defects appear to be clustered, you will be among the first to be scheduled for repair. Once your replacement battery modules are available, you will receive a communication from us asking you to contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to schedule a service appointment. Once service is complete, your battery will be covered by an 8‑year/100,000-mile limited parts warranty.1​
The battery module repair will take approximately two days to complete, and we will provide courtesy or rental vehicle transportation to you during the replacement procedure. Your dealer will have more details regarding transportation options. The service will be performed by Chevrolet dealer technicians who are specially trained in EV service and who have received detailed instructions on completing these hardware repairs.​
We are also on track to begin roll out of a new advanced diagnostic software by mid-November. Once your software is available, you will receive a communication from us asking you to contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer to schedule a service appointment to have the software installed. The diagnostic will be designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a damaged battery in Bolt EV and EUVs by: monitoring the battery performance; alerting customers of any anomalies; and prioritizing damaged batteries for replacement. It is our intent that further diagnostic software will allow customers to return to a 100% state of charge once all diagnostic processes are complete.​
In the meantime, please look out for follow-up communications with an update on your vehicle. For any additional questions visit www.chevy.com/boltevrecall or contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge at 1-833-EVCHEVY (available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. – midnight ET; Saturday and Sunday, from noon – 9 p.m. ET) or contact your preferred Chevrolet EV dealer.​
We sincerely appreciate your patience and loyalty as we continue our journey to an all-electric future.​
Steve Hill
Steve Hill
Vice President, Chevrolet​

#17 ·
I also received that email this morning. It's the first official communication I've had from GM about the issue, and I've had my car for almost two months. But at least they're finally saying something to '22 owners.

Reactions: OneEV and GJETSON
#20 ·
I did go into their site and register my email address. Not sure if that ends up setting a tag somewhere that changes who gets what and when. I do similar things with data for work and you never know what drives it unless you did it !! If anyone needs that URL, I can find it.

#28 ·
I called my dealer this morning because of that email and also that I noticed my recall now said "incomplete", whereas before it showed "incomplete/remedy not available". Service dept told me that they were actually having a zoom meeting about this and they'd call me back. She just called me now and said they ordered a new battery for me. It will arrive in about 7-10 days. Then she's going to call to schedule the appointment right away, as she said it's very large and they'd not want it sitting too long in storage. It will then take probably take a couple days to finish the install, and she said they'd have a temp car ready for me. Wow. This happened fast!

#31 ·
Perhaps it may be of interest to others if you and others whose status changed from "incomplete remedy not yet available" to "incomplete" (meaning that parts are or will soon be available for your car to schedule the remedy) could mention the following:
  • Model year and build date (build date is on sticker on bottom of B-pillar visible with driver's door open).
  • Battery origin if model year 2019.
  • Over the car's history, how common was charging to higher than 90%.
  • Over the car's history, how common was discharging to below 30%.

#30 ·
I'm in the burbs. Might be a drive for you, but I'd recommend Ray Chevrolet in Fox Lake. They've always been good to me. They have a certified EV tech too. How good this person is....I don't know. But I will be finding out soon enough. I'm getting my battery replaced here in a couple weeks.

#35 ·
We have a 2019 model year Bolt with a US built battery (03/19 build date)
and my Parental unit has a 2019 model year with a Korean built battery (dont have the build date, will update).

as of now, both cars show the same:

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

#45 ·
Got email today around 6am Pacific. My 2017 (built 8/2017) status for recall N212343880: Incomplete. Remedy not available.

#48 ·
As I've mentioned on other threads, my 2019 LT's build date was 10/18. I've generally been charging twice a week from around 80 miles to full or 90%. Yesterday I received the email and, an hour later, a phone call from "Robert" with a Saginaw MI phone number, who seemed to know everything about my case including my dealer and the fact that my buyback request has been approved and that I've been waiting to find out how much GM will pay. He said that he'd try to find out about the status of my buyback case and get back to me early next week. I'll update this thread when he does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.