Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Potential Bolt Owner with questions

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Marriott574 
I don't see a response about kayaks. I too have kayaks and I have not bought the rack for them yet. You have two options (and both would work). First, you can put a hitch on the car and get a light duty trailer. This would allow you to haul kayaks or whatever easily. Lot's of conversations on this forum about hitches, tow payloads.. but it would easily accommodate a pair of kayaks.

I am looking at roof racks currently. Thule makes a set of aero bars that fit the Bolt. I can't seem to find the part numbers, but I remember distinctly that I saw the entire set for $509. That includes bars, pillars, and special foot/mounts. I have an LT so I need the mounts that fit into the door jambs. If you have a Premier, then you can get the mounts that mate to the existing rails. Currently, there do not appear to be Chevy-produced cross bars, so I suspect that the Thule set for the Premier and for the LT is basically the same (although the foot mounts are different). I don't remember the total weight limit for the Thule set, but it should be able to handle 100lbs. Even if Chevy produces cross bars for the Premier rails, they will have a lower payload limit (usually around 75lbs).

Note that the price above does not include the cost of the actual kayak mounts (J-bars, cradles, etc), only the bars and method of mounting.

The Bolt is a great EV (and it is my second after a 2015 Leaf). The range is great.. more than sufficient for 99% of what people do with cars. With a couple charging accounts, you can extend your trips to hundreds of miles comfortably. It's a car that happens to be powered by electricity.

I have no space for a trailer so I would get some bars, but this is not an issue as we don't go far with them. I am also looking at the LT as i don't see the benefit justifying the cost of the Premier. Just weighing up the different packages. There seems to be a lot of inventory left on dealers lots around here, so I am hoping for a year end bargain! The one I want is the LT + DCFC + Driver confidence and the convince package. The lowest I have seen so far is $33,500 for this, not sure how much lower they can go, just wished VA still had state incentives, CA have some sweet rebates/credits available.
I paid about $35000 for an LT with same configuration in FL. I do believe that they have shut down manufacturing of 2017 models to start producing 2018 ones. So your best bets may be end of Oct or Nov. I agree with you on the LT vs Premier. I'd have liked to get a Premier but in a non-CARB state, there just isn't thousands of dollars of incentives to offset the $5K increased cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.