Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the info, this is really helpful.

So I have found some DCFC on I95 Near Richmond, one is at a Hilton the other at a Hampton, do you know if anyone can turn up and use these, or do they only allow guests to use them?

Thanks for all the advice.
let me introduce you to plug-share - it's a crowdsourced app that provides a pretty good map of all the chargers in a given area - by inspecting plug-share you can determine how available a charger typically is - since the data is crowd sources it's not 100% accurate so always take the data with a grain of salt -but it's mostly accurate - and if you find it to be inaccurate you can update entries with your experiences to help improve the situation for others…

https://www.plugshare.com

they also have a very helpful app which I recommend you keep on your phone and/or tablet - for hte serious EV road trip warrior I recommend buying a used tablet and putting all the "useful" EV apps on that tablet and just leaving it in the car for road trips - you can charge it via the car's USB ports or 12 volt adapters and it can get internet from the Bolt's WiFi hotspot - you will be dangerous if you have a connected internet device in the car with a useful set of EV charging apps ;)

the FastDC charger at the Hilton is listed on plug-share as:

1. being run by green lots - a typically public charging network for which you need a free membership to access their chargers - they only charge you when you use their network
2. listed as "un-restricted" - which typically means anyone can use it
3. has a plug-score rating of "10.0" which is the highest rating which means you can almost 100% depend on it being in working condition
4. it has 7/24 availability
5. the most recent comment indicating a working charger is from Oct. 21, 2017 - so that's a good sign that the charger was recently used and functional.

here is the set of filters you can use with plug share

I've included 3 filter shots

1. pure Bolt EV with no "extra" charging gear other than the provided L1 charger in car
2. Bolt EV with a portable NEMA 14-50 EVSE in car
3. Bolt EV with a portable EVSE and a Tesla to J-1772 adapter pig tail

based on the filter plug-share will not show chargers your EV can not use…the best case scenario to maximize charging options is:

1. have memberships (typically free) in all the major EV charging networks (Chargepoint, EVGo, Greenlots, Blink + others)
2. have a good in car portable EVSE (L1 & L2 if possible)
3. an extension cord for L1 charger use
4. a Tesla to J-1772 adapter so that you can use L2 Tesla Destination chargers (not superchargers)
5. a device with internet that has various and useful EV charging applications (including plug share) in car

use the appropriate filter based on what you plan to bring with you in the car while traveling.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Code:
Congratulations on considering making a big move to all EV on a one car family!

I LOVE my Bolt EV! I have to admit California makes driving one so much easier.

You will not experience the same battery loss, as GM has engineered maintenance into its design as shown by the experience of Spark EV drivers' experiences.
Thanks! The one car is not really by choice, I am blind and not allowed to drive (Except NC which some how has basically no vision requirements I use to live there and passed the eyesight test, mostly for fun).

Our family all live in range of the Bolt (just) there is one destination in NC that is 365 Miles from our house which would be the biggest head ache but a couple of hours of inconvenience is worth the EV benefits!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.