Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the owner of both a Clipper Creek EVSE and a Keurig coffee maker, I've encountered the "power fault" issue described in this Volt forum post:

My LCS-25 EVSE was working fine for 3 weeks and then, like clockwork, it started to PF around 8/830 am every weekday morning (Volt would start its "blipping" horn thing). I called Clipper and the support guy had an interesting theory: Without telling him what I had in the house, he basically said the EVSE is *extremely* sensitive to noise on the ground / neutral bar for the whole house. He literally called out two appliances known to throw off the EVSE...I can't remember the first one, but the second was Keurig coffee makers. It sounded completely ridiculous, but the timing made sense since that's when I make my coffee.

In our case, our Keurig generates enough noise in our home's electrical system such that the Crystal Creek EVSE power faulted each and every time we made a cup of coffee.

After some tinkering, I was able to solve the problem by plugging the Keurig into a surge protector, and adding a ferrite core to the Keurig's power cord, as shown in the attached photo. In the two weeks since applying these fixes, we've not seen a single power fault.

The ferrite core I used can be ordered from Amazon (search for Ferrite Core 1/2 Cord Noise Suppressor), and costs a less than six dollars. The core has a hinge, so you can open it up to run the power cord through it. The surge protector I used is the standard type used to protect home electronics.

Your mileage may vary. In our house, the Keurig is about as far away from the garage as one can possibly get, so it's possible we only needed a small reduction in noise generated by the Keurig to solve the problem. But hopefully, others out there can benefit from this solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Nice find... and fix!

Try old school percolator coffee... it won't fault your EVSE and it tastes better than drip coffee :D

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Presto-02822-Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Percolator/dp/B002LVUIK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514069637&sr=8-1&keywords=six+cup+percolator[/ame]

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Nice find... and fix!

Try old school percolator coffee... it won't fault your EVSE and it tastes better than drip coffee :D

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-02822-Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Percolator/dp/B002LVUIK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514069637&sr=8-1&keywords=six+cup+percolator

Try old school Italian espresso-maker coffee... it won't fault your EVSE and it tastes better than drip coffee : [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-6-Cup-Stovetop-Espresso-Maker/dp/B000CNY6UK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1514070026[/ame]

;)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My dryer is the culprit for my issue. One morning at 5 am my wife turned on the dryer and it power faulted my clipper creek unit. A few weeks later I turned on the dryer at midnight when my car was charging and once again it power faulted my unit. I should get an electrician to check this out. Bizarre about the coffee maker, but it is a common problem...

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I guess I am lucky. Our garage is separate from the house. It has its own 240 volt panel. The charger is on my old welder circuit, switched from 90 amp to 40 amp breaker. When I ran it on the OEM portable EVSE from two 120 volt outlets, to get 240 volts, it faulted the first time. That turned out to be from one of the interior outlets being wired together with an exterior GFI receptacle. i switched to a different receptacle, and had no more problems. Don't know what the code is now, but back when our garage was built, only bathroom, and outdoor receptacles needed the finicky GFI breakers.

For coffee, we have been making cold brew for years. It is simpler, better tasting, and can be kept in the fridge for weeks without getting rancid. Just steep you favor in a two quart jar for 8-48 hours, filter and put it in the fridge. Heat in the microwave by the cup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! I have the same identical problem with my 2017 Chevy Volt. I tried the surge suppressor and it didn't seem to help. I'll see if I've got a ferrite core in the toolbox, if not I'll order the one you indicate.

Sooooo mysterious! Did you figure this out yourself? ClipperCreek suggested the Keurig might be the culprit when I emailed them. I wonder if I would have made this unlikely connection otherwise.

Thanks for posting the picture of your solution.

Charles Hall
Raleigh NC

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sooooo mysterious! Did you figure this out yourself? ClipperCreek suggested the Keurig might be the culprit when I emailed them. I wonder if I would have made this unlikely connection otherwise.
No, after our ClipperCreek faulted for the first time, I ran a Google search for ClipperCreek power fault problems, which turned up a Volt forum post from a few years back that identified a Keurig machine as the source of that poster's issue. A light bulb went off when I read that, because I normally leave for work before my wife gets up in the morning, but the morning my ClipperCreek faulted for the first time, my wife had gotten up just before I headed out --and the first thing she ALWAYS does in the morning is make coffee, whereas I wait until I get to work to have my first cup. With that hint, it took about 30 seconds of experimentation to prove unequivocally that running our Keurig caused our ClipperCreek to fault --every single time.

As an FYI, the ferrite core helped, but did not completely resolve the problem on its own. The combo of the surge protector and the core is what finally did the trick. Hope it works out for you as well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Another solution may be a UPS (uninterruptible power supply). These devices isolate the load from the wall outlet, and are commonly used with computers. They do consume some energy, the batteries don't last forever and most are bulky and heavy.

I have been drip brewing a fresh cup of coffee every morning for the past forty years using a simple Melitta coffee filter and holder. Percolated coffee is horrible. I grind the coffee from whole beans every morning, and the cone filters cost pennies at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I love my percolated coffee. But then, I make 'espresso', and I use this :

·
Registered
612 Posts
Bah Keurig. I bought refillable K-cups off Ebay for the hotel Keurig when we went to a wedding in SF. Discovered the 'Commercial 130' version of Keurig has fangs that will destroy the refillable cups, while it won't let the lid close enough to start brewing.
On a hunch I had also brought a small French Press and 1-cup electric kettle that worked fine. Gave one of my few 'neutral' ratings to the ebay seller because he did refund, without comment, immediately. He knew ....

Keurig coffee in a non-recyclable cartridge seems to me 180 degrees opposite of where progress should go.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I got one of those cheap compacts like the hotels use. For single service quick coffee they do fine... agree K-cups seem backwards.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Weird. I would have guessed the Keurig should be a purely resistive load.

Keurig can make pretty good hot water, but that's about it. I run it without any cartridge and add my own hot chocolate powder. The Swiss Miss cartridges are weak and disgusting. Why do I let this thing take up counter space, I don't know.

So why does Clipper Creek really trigger? Is it on the same circuit and detects too much of a voltage drop?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts