Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..
I had a random thought after driving my wife's car with a power liftgate... what if I just made one for the Bolt like the Tesla guys did for their 3's?
I can buy the liftgate control module for lets say an SRX or escade, and the motorized struts no problem. (I didnt see anything about sensors on the SRX, the escalade has them though) *If I purchased the struts and module from the same model, theyd be plug and play.

Power, ground, motorized struts.. what else has to be ran to the module. Electric Latch maybe?

Anyway.. if anyone has any experience with this type of thing, please feel free to talk me into, or out of attempting this.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The Bolt has the lightest, easiest opening hatch I've ever experienced.

OTOH, the GM power hatch modules are far from trouble-free. There's the external pressure switch which fails every couple of years, the inside push-button which will require running the wires front to back and a fused 12-volt power source front-to-back.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I guess anything can be done but you'd probably need the liftgate hardware plus a power pull-down latch since the hatch is designed to be slammed shut. Personally, I'm glad it doesn't have it because one of my pet peeves is standing and waiting for a power liftgate to open. I can open mine, throw something in the back, and have it shut before a power liftgate would even finish opening all the way.

Mike

·
Registered
265 Posts
I guess anything can be done but you'd probably need the liftgate hardware plus a power pull-down latch since the hatch is designed to be slammed shut. Personally, I'm glad it doesn't have it because one of my pet peeves is standing and waiting for a power liftgate to open. I can open mine, throw something in the back, and have it shut before a power liftgate would even finish opening all the way.

Mike
I would be much happier with just an interior switch to pop it open.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
401 Posts
I wouldn't say this is my wheelhouse, but it's related to "my area of expertise." It's possible it could be done "relatively" easily, but then again, it's more likely to be essentially impossible, with the structural design and space constraints of the hatch and body prohibiting placement of the linear actuator, where it would need to be, to be able to apply sufficient pressure and have the proper range of motion. More than half the time I shut my hatch, I press it closed, to minimize noise. Without the "typical" shutting method using momentum to successfully engage the primary latch, it does take a fair amount of force.

IMO, this is pretty much a foolish project unless you have the components in your possession, paid for in full, non refundable, and don't care about likely wasting a whole lot of time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't say this is my wheelhouse, but it's related to "my area of expertise." It's possible it could be done "relatively" easily, but then again, it's more likely to be essentially impossible, with the structural design and space constraints of the hatch and body prohibiting placement of the linear actuator, where it would need to be, to be able to apply sufficient pressure and have the proper range of motion. More than half the time I shut my hatch, I press it closed, to minimize noise. Without the "typical" shutting method using momentum to successfully engage the primary latch, it does take a fair amount of force.

IMO, this is pretty much a foolish project unless you have the components in your possession, paid for in full, non refundable, and don't care about likely wasting a whole lot of time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
But what about those of us who are too short to reach the cup in order to close the hatchback? There's no power liftgate option and no 3/4 height adjustment. I can't even find an aftermarket strap that is spec-ed to work with the Bolt. That's the only thing keeping me from buying a Bolt. I can't believe there's no solution and from what I've read, it will be the same for the EUV. Anyone?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would be much happier with just an interior switch to pop it open.
Dang, I was under the impression the Bolt had the interior switch. That was going to be one of my major selling points in convincing my wife we need to trade our Prius Prime for a Bolt!

😔

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
But what about those of us who are too short to reach the cup in order to close the hatchback? There's no power liftgate option and no 3/4 height adjustment. I can't even find an aftermarket strap that is spec-ed to work with the Bolt.
It seems to me that you could drill a hole somewhere and attach some sort of strap to the door that would work. If nothing else, craft a length of wood with a hook of some sort that you can leave in the back to reach up and pull the hatch down by hooking it into the grab handle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It seems to me that you could drill a hole somewhere and attach some sort of strap to the door that would work. If nothing else, craft a length of wood with a hook of some sort that you can leave in the back to reach up and pull the hatch down by hooking it into the grab handle.
From what I've read and dealership has told me, there is no aftermarket strap for the Bolt and installation would mean drilling into the metal, so not doable. This lack of ability to adjust height of opening seems characteristic of hatchbacks. I appreciate your suggestions very much but don't want to spend that much money and rely on a DYI fix that may not work over time. Disappointing that this could keep me from the Bolt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
But what about those of us who are too short to reach the cup in order to close the hatchback? There's no power liftgate option and no 3/4 height adjustment. I can't even find an aftermarket strap that is spec-ed to work with the Bolt. That's the only thing keeping me from buying a Bolt. I can't believe there's no solution and from what I've read, it will be the same for the EUV. Anyone?
Add a hitch and leave a step accessory in it?

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
From what I've read and dealership has told me, there is no aftermarket strap for the Bolt and I appreciate your suggestions very much but don't want to spend that much money and rely on a DYI fix that may not work over time. Disappointing that this could keep me from the Bolt.
A simple length of 1x2" wood with a vinyl-covered hook to use to reach up and pull the hatch down by its grab handle would be cheap, require no modification to the car, and could be left in the back for use as needed.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
475 Posts
From what I've read and dealership has told me, there is no aftermarket strap for the Bolt and installation would mean drilling into the metal, so not doable. This lack of ability to adjust height of opening seems characteristic of hatchbacks. I appreciate your suggestions very much but don't want to spend that much money and rely on a DYI fix that may not work over time. Disappointing that this could keep me from the Bolt.
This made me go look at my liftgate (2020 Bolt LT). It looks like the handle is attached with some type of fastener:

So it might be possible to attach a strap designed for another vehicle if it has an attachment point the right size:

On the other side of the liftgate handle is a plastic cover that gives access to the tail light electrical harness:

Inside that area is some sheet metal that appears to be recessed from the outside surface of the vehicle. So yes, putting a strap on this side may require drilling into sheet metal, but still wouldn't go through to the outside of the vehicle.

So it seems possible, even if there isn't an aftermarket strap kit already available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A simple length of 1x2" wood with a vinyl-covered hook to use to reach up and pull the hatch down by its grab handle would be cheap, require no modification to the car, and could be left in the back for use as needed.
Thank you. It's a good suggestion.
This made me go look at my liftgate (2020 Bolt LT). It looks like the handle is attached with some type of fastener:
View attachment 34814

So it might be possible to attach a strap designed for another vehicle if it has an attachment point the right size:

On the other side of the liftgate handle is a plastic cover that gives access to the tail light electrical harness:
View attachment 34815

Inside that area is some sheet metal that appears to be recessed from the outside surface of the vehicle. So yes, putting a strap on this side may require drilling into sheet metal, but still wouldn't go through to the outside of the vehicle.

So it seems possible, even if there isn't an aftermarket strap kit already available.
Thank you so much for your response and the pics. They are so helpful. I've been told by the sales staff at my local dealerships (one salesperson said he talked with an engineer at Chevy) that a strap attachment was not possible, but now I will visit the Service Department managers at those dealerships with your comments and pics, to see what they say. I will definitely post again if I learn anything encouraging along these lines.Thank you again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts