Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my Bolt EV to do food deliveries. It's getting to be winter and I am trying to be as efficient as possible. Anyone have any insight on whether it's better to leave the car powered on when I am making a delivery vs. turning it off when I pull in a driveway to make a delivery and then powering up after? Not sure if it has much of an effect on the battery if I am frequently turning off and turning on again throughout a work shift.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
@ndk welcome to the forum. great question. having the heater run for long periods will cut down on your range. your miles per kWh efficiency number will be low. but, if you don't have to worry about the distance you travel between charges, then it really doesn't matter. can't imagine the battery having any issues with staying on or the power being cycled. number of cycles on the relays might be the only wear item, but no telling how many cycles those can take. Assuming a lot. Personally, I try not to power cycle any of my electronics repeatedly. If anything, the added heat stress of the components. I'd do what you did before you got your EV. I keep my Bolt running all the time, almost like the people with diesels. But with an EV there's not all the fumes.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
... just make sure you lock the door and get back to the car before an hour - or it will self unlock.

If you have the batmobile or the Cyber Truck, check out 1:45. :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I use my Bolt EV to do food deliveries. It's getting to be winter and I am trying to be as efficient as possible. Anyone have any insight on whether it's better to leave the car powered on when I am making a delivery vs. turning it off when I pull in a driveway to make a delivery and then powering up after? Not sure if it has much of an effect on the battery if I am frequently turning off and turning on again throughout a work shift.
Don't think it'll make much of difference at all. Just do whatever is most convenient for you.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
It's unclear what your question is because you don't clarify what you mean by "better".

From an efficiency standpoint, it's always best to turn something off that isn't being used. For instance, it's more efficient to turn the heat to the house off when you leave, even if it's for a short period of time.

UPS turns their truck off to deliver a package 30ft to my door. It takes them 20 seconds, but UPS has figured out that it's cheaper to turn the truck off during that time and add wear and tear to the starter and all that, than to idle the truck.

You didn't say how long you're away from the vehicle, what the weather conditions are, etc. Maybe you don't like getting into a cold car, in which case you might be happier leaving it on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you leave the car turned on, you (and anyone nearby) have to listen to the loud obnoxious "open door" chime while the driver door is open.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I would definitely leave it on, if you hope to make quick deliveries. The computers take a bit of time to reboot. If you use the backup camera, it won't be back up. and the grid lines will definitely not be back up in time. Some folks on here have problems with computer glitches, which may be do with their not waiting for them to boot up. Leave the car on. Leave the fob in your pocket. Get out, close the door, use the door button to lock and unlock the door. easy peasy. I do it all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! Honestly the most annoying thing about leaving it on during a delivery (typically 1-5 mins) is the triple-beep the Bolt does when I leave it on but exit the car with the food (with my key in my pocket).

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Thanks all! Honestly the most annoying thing about leaving it on during a delivery (typically 1-5 mins) is the triple-beep the Bolt does when I leave it on but exit the car with the food (with my key in my pocket).
Go to the center screen. Go into settings...the gear symbol, go into vehicle, turn off lock horn. In your case you may want to turn of the locks lights as well, so as not to draw attention to your car. While you are in vehicle settings you may as well turn down the door chime too. You can't turn it down very far, but it is somewhat less annoying.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Thanks!
I use my Bolt for delivering mail. When I start my route it gets turned on and doesn't get turned off for 2-4 hours as a general rule. In that time I'll only travel 25-100 kms and I'm seldom out of the car for more than a few minutes at a time. I also don't use anything more than the heated seat and steering wheel unless I need the window defogger on or it gets below freezing. Like your computer at home (or smart phone, etc), I don't think that rebooting the car 40 times a day does it any favours. It's also a delay each time while the car boots up and my low patience level has me putting it into drive and taking off before that process completes quite often. Unless I need the full HVAC system on I don't think that I pay too much of a penalty for keeping it running. But on those few days it really is noticeable.

As an aside, I really wish the car would allow the doors to be locked with the handle button when it's running. I quite dislike digging around for my key fob to lock the doors when I'm going to be more than a few steps from it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That feature can be turned off through the settings menu. I forget which setting it was but it's easy enough to find on the screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go to the center screen. Go into settings...the gear symbol, go into vehicle, turn off lock horn. In your case you may want to turn of the locks lights as well, so as not to draw attention to your car. While you are in vehicle settings you may as well turn down the door chime too. You can't turn it down very far, but it is somewhat less annoying.
Thank you! Could not figure out where to disable that lock horn!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts