Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dealer called yesterday and told me that my 2018 premier has arrived at the dealership and will be ready for pickup on this Thursday.

What are the things I should check / ask about when I go to pick-up the car.

I’m reading the 300+ page manual and that’s a lot of information to take in.

What are some of the most useful personalizations that folks have done in the settings? I understand it really depends on everyone’s specific needs but still would like to know.

In the meantime I’ve ordered Bridgestone Blizzak WS6 205/65R16 winter tires with a 16” cruze wheels from Costco.

Will that tire/wheel combo work on the bolt?

Thanks

Darsh

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Transporting cars this time of year can be challenging, I'd bring a magnifying glass and go over every inch of the exterior looking for scratches, dings, etc.. that happened as a result of transport.
Don't go at night... make sure it's bright daylight conditions for the inspection.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
This was posted not too long ago :

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/294538-post25.html ->
Just a few quick thoughts if you are buying and driving off the lot:
Make sure the Bolt is fully charged before you take it off lot (mine had 50 mi range and a 20 mile ride home).
Plan your route in detail and buy any converters needed. You may be fine with many J-1772 destination chargers (like at hotels or some retail shopping centers), but a converter from a Tesla destination charger to J-1772 could be very helpful as well.
The other semi-common converter would be the NEMA 14-50, which would be found at travel trailer campgrounds.
Do not rely on the standard 110V EVSE cord that comes with the Bolt though. It took me 2 1/2 days to fully charge my Bolt at home.
Side discussion, there are lots of dedicated charging units for your home. I had an electrician install a 240V 14-50 plug (and I bought a charging cord to match), just because that is one of the more common travel charging options.

With this follow-up about 12V batteries (CHECK that it isn't horribly undercharged!) :

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/294874-post27.html ->
Also : Bring a voltmeter and check that the voltage on the 12V battery is *at least* 12.4V (a fully charged 12V battery should be over 12.6V). If it isn't, complain to the dealer. If it is 12.3V or below, have it noted in the paperwork (the actual voltage). If it is 12.0V or below, request a new battery.

There have been quite a few reports of bad 12V batteries (the guess is due to them sitting on dealer lots for weeks or months without being driven or charged). This causes *weird* 'electronics' problems (including "can't shift into gear" or "car won't turn on") since the car's computer chips need electricity from the 12V battery in order to operate).

Borrow (or buy) a smart trickle-charger (one that will adjust/stop charge based on voltage, so that you can leave it plugged in for days) and fully charge your 12V battery overnight once you get home (and once a month thereafter)

Edit:
There have been multiple (many, many) posts that the EVSE delivered with the vehicle will work just fine at 240V, delivering about 2.8 kW (240x12). One simply needs a 'pigtail' adaptor (one side with the NEMA 5-15 socket that matches the plug on the EVSE, and the other side with a NEMA plug matching whatever 240V socket is in the wall). An overnight (12 hour) charge at 240V with the stock EVSE will put about 30 kWh into your battery (a half-charge, more or less). This can be quite useful if you already have a 240V socket in your garage, or take trips to visit people who do.

Reactions: Darsh

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transporting cars this time of year can be challenging, I'd bring a magnifying glass and go over every inch of the exterior looking for scratches, dings, etc.. that happened as a result of transport.
Don't go at night... make sure it's bright daylight conditions for the inspection.
Yes, I'm planning to go in the morning and inspect carefully.

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great advice to go during the day time to inspect before pick up . ... Don't be in a rush.
Make sure the dealer charges the battery to full. Not sure how far away your dealer is but needing to stop to charge is a bit nerve racking and not that fun for a first time drive.

Join and down load charging APP(S) & charger map apps ... do it now sign up for the pay as needed (several companies give you lots of options) When you get your car try to go to a charger and just familiarize yourself with the procedure.

If you don't already have a level 2 charger installed at home . look into it and if you can do it . even if you think 110 charging will work it does take a long time.

For vehicle settings (& if you charge at home) set you location and charge settings. Setting those to TIME of charge and rate price ONCE you have changed you electric rate charge program will give you the most cost effective charging.

Plan on some time and research looking into available rebates, if you haven't done that already. Not sure what you Canadians get ... but for us US folks your fed rebate will be 2018 taxes, but state and energy supplier are programs you can apply for as soon as you have a vin.

Congrats and good luck

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
So my dealer called yesterday and told me that my 2018 premier has arrived at the dealership and will be ready for pickup on this Thursday.

What are the things I should check / ask about when I go to pick-up the car.
Call the dealer to check (i.e., insist) that the battery will be fully charged when you take delivery. Then call back the day before, and verify that the battery has been charged (this will remind your dealer to do it, since they probably won't have remembered to charge it).

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Call the dealer to check (i.e., insist) that the battery will be fully charged when you take delivery. Then call back the day before, and verify that the battery has been charged (this will remind your dealer to do it, since they probably won't have remembered to charge it).
BOTH batteries, HVB & 12-volt!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for great tips. Will definitely call tomorrow and the day before I go. I have a multi-meter that I'll bring to check the 12v battery as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can only go by my purchase experience (12/11):
- I echo the daytime. I had to leave my car at the dealer to buff out several dull spots in the paint.
- Look under the car. I had damage to the tray under the front of the car. Another dealer trip.
- The front left part of the dash - Make sure the dash is assembled correctly. On mine it appeared one of the tabs that holds the corner in was broken, the panel was popped out. My car has been to the dealer twice for this issue. The next trip they tell me they need to remove the doors to remove the entire dash unit to adjust a support. Should be fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts