Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I envy all of you that are having fun driving your great Bolts, I have been sitting on the sidelines.
I haven't purchased a new car since 1990 (1991 Ford Explorer), and won't start now, as compelling as the Bolt is.
All our vehicles since then have been used. This
includes a 2013 Volt acquired in 2014. It's just a personal financial principal; Typically higher 1st year depreciation,
lower sales tax, lower registration, etc. Additionally, EV's depreciate much faster - IMO due entirely to the ignorance
of the general buying public. Moreover, I am not a candidate for the Fed tax credit, and we don't live in California or
other States with EV incentives.

After a full year of production, I am finally seeing some pre-owned Bolt's coming to market. There are currently 32 listed on cars.com and 46 on autotrader.com. Most pre-owned Bolts are listed on both sites. Of these, it seems GM has dealer auctioned close to 20+ very early "fleet Bolts", that various dealers now have for sale. Some of these dealers have many more of these "Fleet Bolts" than they advertise on cars or autotrader. All "fleet Bolts" have less than 10,000 miles. Some have as few as 4,000 miles. One has 867 miles. The vast majority of these Bolts were originally registered in Michigan in October and November of 2016. Some in December 2016, and a couple in Jan. 2017.

The lowest advertised price for a LT is $27,500, and $30,500 for a Premier. All with remaining factory warranty. Unfortunately, the chargeable options unique to the Bolt (DC fast charging, etc.) are not listed in the online ads. So one has to call the dealer and hunt down the options.

I was able to locate one of these "fleet Bolts" with the options I want: LT, Fast Charge, Comfort & Convenience, Driver Confidence, Paint upgrade, cargo net. (I didn't want the cargo net). 5,730 miles. Registered 12/16. The current negotiation is a sale price of $26,100.

My concern is the "GM Fleet" thing. Many of these Bolt's were registered more than a Month or more before they began delivering the first cars to dealers. Are these the first few dozen Bolts to come off the line? Also, as I recall from reading post here, early Bolt's had more problems than those manufactured after Spring 2017? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Every car, new or used, depreciates more in the first year you own it than in any one subsequent year. If you buy new in the first year of production, this decrease in value has been reported as high as 30-50%. Your figures show less than this for the Bolt. If you have been watching, and reading, for a year now, and are not convinced that, for you, it is a good buy, then it probably isn’t. Every car has problems and you will consider each of these as an affirmation of a poor decision. I would stay with your used ICE or PHEV and not look back.

·
Registered
979 Posts
OP, are you in Michigan or thereabouts ? Before taking the leap on one of those early Bolts - - have the dealer tell you the precise history, prior ownership and prior use of the vehicle.

Could be an early saleable unit built just after pilot. Used by GM for the press announcement/test fleet, the Engineering fleet, the Girl Guides... who knows what. Then the dealer picked it up at GM dealer auction, or bought it straight off GM at a dealer-only used formula price.

I'd shy away from those early ones even if dealer said they've been brought up to current specs. Unless you're a mechanic who can take the vehicle away for an independent evaluation. I wouldn't want a vehicle that's been autocrossed or otherwise torture tested by lots of different drivers.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Used price might hold

I would stay with your used ICE or PHEV and not look back.
Actually, keep looking back. The deals might become better, as you pass the used fleet machines. Its still not clear whether or not Bolt EVs will be a steal on the used market. My experience in ownership, similar to many others, is favorable, so it may be the used price will hold.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My concern is the "GM Fleet" thing. Many of these Bolt's were registered more than a Month or more before they began delivering the first cars to dealers. Are these the first few dozen Bolts to come off the line? Also, as I recall from reading post here, early Bolt's had more problems than those manufactured after Spring 2017? Any advice would be appreciated.
Nothing wrong with the approach you propose to vehicle acquisition. To your concern regarding early Bolts, more problems. All cars have more problems at the start of production. I would reason that we are only aware of two general issues. 1) very few early Battery packs had cell issues, those cars identified by OnStar remote diagnostics and the packs were replaced, so no concern. 2) Firmware / software issues. getting the latest firmware resolves this.

I would not be too concerned about how the car was treated for the first few months, unless it was in an accident. Rapid acceleration, hard braking, fast cornering, just not too concerned about the potential for slightly greater wear.

Ask the dealer to show you the service history and get comfortable that any body shop work was only for a scratch or ding and then make the deal. Enjoy your savings and your new ride!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OP, are you in Michigan or thereabouts ? Before taking the leap on one of those early Bolts - - have the dealer tell you the precise history, prior ownership and prior use of the vehicle.
Ask the dealer to show you the service history and get comfortable that any body shop work was only for a scratch or ding and then make the deal. Enjoy your savings and your new ride!
We're in Nevada. Getting service history/records is a good idea. Considering the origin, One can not tell if the 6,000 miles the car has on it were put on casually over 10 Months, or in 3 days on a test track in Saginaw...and the car was left sitting in a lot for 9 Months. Perhaps it was used by a GM Executives' husband who just drove it to the grocery store once a week? The service records may expose how it was used.

If you buy new in the first year of production, this decrease in value has been reported as high as 30-50%.
Actually, keep looking back. The deals might become better, as you pass the used fleet machines.
I've been down the used car road a number of times over the years. Typically (as with other used vehicles), I would expect about 200 or so used Bolts to be on the market after the first full year of production based on the total that have been sold so far; approaching 30,000 units. If not for the GM Fleet bolts, there are only about 20-30 used Bolts on the market nationwide. This pretty much says that almost ALL Bolt owners are extremely satisfied with their cars.

And unlike Tesla, which until a couple of years ago offered a Resale Value Guarantee which artificially boosted the resale values of Tesla vehicles (and masked the true number of used Tesla's coming on the market), GM seems to be letting the value of the Bolt speak for itself in the open market. I also can't help but to notice these used Fleet Bolts are being offered not in the high-demand EV States in the West, but places like Missouri, Alabama, and Florida. I think this is by design.

If the "Fleet Bolts'" service records are in order, I will likely pull the trigger now. So far, the rate of organic pre-owned Bolts on the market is almost non-existent.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
One can not tell if the 6,000 miles the car has on it were put on casually over 10 Months, or in 3 days on a test track in Saginaw...
make sure you get one from the test track. has the top speed limit removed. assuming 80% charge in one hour means you drive 190 miles than charge an hour. 6000/190 means 32 hours of charging in 72 hours. thus the average speed of one of these test track Bolts is 6000/(72-32)= 150 mph!

Just kidding. Best part of an all electric is they offer unprecedented wear characteristics (the lack of). There's no way to over rev a motor, drop a clutch, etc... Wonder if one could do a reverse drop?

I'm with you on buying used. My Bolt is actually the first new car I've ever bought for myself. All my cars through the years have been used. I did look at used Tesla's once, but the prices were artificially propped up. I was just tired of waiting to get an electric car. Purely emotional. But I also feel that I'm helping the market by buying one. I'll vote with my dollar.

·
Registered
979 Posts
So far, the rate of organic pre-owned Bolts on the market is almost non-existent.
Organic. LOL. Mine has never seen a car wash (weekly hand washed) and has been dried only with real Canadian Quebec sheepskin chamois. Never had any aftermarket do-dads, original carpets were stored and replaced by Weathertechs. Seldom seen rain, won't ever see snow. One driver only, totally babied.:eek:. Red Premier w/both packages. 4,500 miles.

I have to keep it until April/18, 12 months from new. If I can source a new 2018 model Bolt EV and get an HST trade in credit we can do a cross-border deal into Michigan for around $28k USD ?

EDIT: PS: DC fast charging is standard equipment in Canada as is the tire inflator kit. More great value for a truly organic specimen !

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
All our vehicles . . . have been used. . . . It's just a personal financial principal; Typically higher 1st year depreciation, lower sales tax, lower registration
For true, agree completely; we bought used cars for many years. No one should ever buy a new car; it's just financially unsound. But then so is getting married, having children, taking vacations and having hobbies.

jack vines

1 - 9 of 9 Posts