Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one activate Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Seat via myChevrolet app’s preconditioning function ?

My experience so far:
- I seem to be able to chose the heat/fan setting I want: just leave the vehicle set at the temp & fan speed & air distribution you want, when you power the vehicle off. Mine seems to remember those same settings and activates same during the next preconditioning cycle. Great.
- One day the rear defroster came on in precondition, without warning. That’s only happened once so far. I don’t need rear defroster anyway but still don’t understand why it happened,
- I can’t get preconditioning to activate the heated wheel and heated seat which I’d really like… tried having those pieces of equipment turned on when I powered off the vehicle, but they still won’t turn on for next preconditioning cycle,
- On the Settings-Vehicle menu, I’ve got the “remote start heated seat” turned to On, and under Climate & Air Quality I’ve got auto heated seats On. But it doesn’t come on during Preconditioning

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
676 Posts
The steering wheel does not warm up with preheat, unlike the Volt. I wonder if this is an issue that Chevy might fix if one complained?

I have concluded that the seats actually do pre-heat (note the AUTO light showing), but only to the lowest setting. The seats aren't actually cold when I sit on them after pre-heating, but certainly not Hot, the way I'd prefer.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the seats actually do pre-heat (note the AUTO light showing), but only to the lowest setting.
I'm quite sure my driver seat doesn't precondition heat at all. Stone cold leatherette on the rear end even after 20 minutes preconditioning. Don't know why. Perhaps a problem with my particular vehicle.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I could be mistaken about the seats, but in 40-degree weather they don't seem as cold as I'd expect unless they were warmed a bit.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The 2018 Bolt will be getting automatic steering wheel heating.

The auto seat heaters do work. However, they rely on detecting what the ambient cabin temperature is. If the cabin is not sufficiently cold, they may not heat up sufficiently. Page 58 and 59 in the Owner’s manual describes how things are supposed to work.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Garage temp this morning was 32F / 0C. After 15 minutes preconditioning the driver heated seat was working ! Not particularly warm, but working nonetheless. Once I sat on it the warmth seemed to increase without my touching anything.

Yesterday the heated seat didn't precondition when ambient temp was about 42F / 5C. So I'd guess with my vehicle the outside temp needs to be around the freezing point or below, in order for the remote start heated seat feature to activate. Also unlike yesterday, today the rear defroster was on, perhaps the startup criteria for that one is about the same as the heated seat.

Iam concerned that my heated seat is not turning off. Preheated a few days and now the seat seems on all the time.
Try going: Settings + Climate and Air Quality + Auto Heated Seats. Turn that feature Off.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Update: Garage temp this morning was 32F / 0C. After 15 minutes preconditioning the driver heated seat was working ! Not particularly warm, but working nonetheless. Once I sat on it the warmth seemed to increase without my touching anything.
That corresponds to something I read several years ago when I got my first heated seats ever. Requires body contact to actually warm up to acceptable levels.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
^ probably due to the fact that the heating wires have almost zero mass so they get to temp almost instantly without a body occupying the seat. Unfortunately, there is no stored heat in the no-mass heating wires, so they cool almost instantly on sitting on them and it takes a few min for them to heat up again.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Agreed with Rob and Photon based on my experience. Seat heaters draw a relatively low amount of power (perhaps an average of 50w) and spread it out over a large surface. Without the body acting as a blanket for the seat, the heat escapes quickly.

I haven't experienced the Bolt seat heaters yet, but if they are anything like the excellent ones on my Prius, they should begin delivering decent heat in 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I haven't experienced the Bolt seat heaters yet, but if they are anything like the excellent ones on my Prius, they should begin delivering decent heat in 30 seconds or so.
In the Bolt I'm experiencing 1-2 minutes to decent heat after power up from cold-leatherette-seat-in-parking-lot in ambient temp of 32F / windchill 26F.

What a pansy, eh ? In my first car ('64 MGB) in the winter I used to have to park on a hill, spray ether down the carburetor, jump in and start coasting down the hill, turn ignition on & pop the clutch in 2nd gear. Most of the time I'd get 'er going that way. Then I'd have to rub a little hole in the frosted windshield in order to see if I was still on the road. How times change.:p

PS: the Auto heated seat setting works really well, the colder it gets outside the warmer the auto heated seat gets. I'm now getting over the 30% range reduction which is going to be the case over the next few months !

·
Registered
83 Posts
What a pansy, eh ? In my first car ('64 MGB) in the winter I used to have to park on a hill, spray ether down the carburetor, jump in and start coasting down the hill, turn ignition on & pop the clutch in 2nd gear. Most of the time I'd get 'er going that way. Then I'd have to rub a little hole in the frosted windshield in order to see if I was still on the road. How times change.:p

That was hilarious!, had an '84 Chevette with similar options er - features :)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
^ Lol.... I had a MG Midget back in the day.... I didn't even bother using it during the winter ;)
I think there was actually less air blowing on the driver with the top down vs. having it up with the windows closed...
Had a TR7 too, I was a glutton for punishment back then I guess!

Reactions: DiodeBill and drrjv

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
In 1975, while doing a 6 month chest surgery rotation in Bristol (actually Frenchay) England, I drove a stick shift 4 cylinder Triumph Vitesse. When the starter motor conked out, I had to park on a downhill, so I could let her coast a bit, and pop the clutch. Did this for about two weeks before I could garner the cash to buy another used vehicle! Thank goodness I could walk to the hospital for emergency calls!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts