Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new Bolt, really enjoying it.
I am not going anywhere far today because I am under the weather so I unplugged the car this morning (even though it is -20C outside). I’ll plug it again at night.
Tried to use the app starter to condition vehicle a bit since I might go out to the pharmacy soon.
I got the message on this picture I attached.
It was beyond midnight last night when I did that to test the app.
I guess I am confusing conditioning the cabin of the car with the automated battery conditioning due to the cold? I thought I was doing both but I guess not. Saw a spike on energy being used when the car was plugged at 6am.
Anyway just wondering if this message means the car is ready to go and that I can only start the vehicle remotely once a day.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I think what the message is saying, is that this condition has occurred per Bolt owner's manual page 40:

"A maximum of two remote starts,
or a single start with an extension,
are allowed between ignition cycles
using POWER O."

As a separate topic I'd have left the vehicle plugged in. That way it uses wall power to keep the battery warm (perhaps 40F). Granted it uses some kw's potentially during the daytime when power rates are the highest. That is, if the EVSE or the car is set to consume power at all times. As opposed to setting it for lowest hydro rate 7pm to 7am.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think what the message is saying, is that this condition has occurred per Bolt owner's manual page 40:

"A maximum of two remote starts,
or a single start with an extension,
are allowed between ignition cycles
using POWER O."

As a separate topic I'd have left the vehicle plugged in. That way it uses wall power to keep the battery warm (perhaps 40F). Granted it uses some kw's potentially during the daytime when power rates are the highest. That is, if the EVSE or the car is set to consume power at all times. As opposed to setting it for lowest hydro rate 7pm to 7am.
Thank you for reassuring me. My intention was to reflect a typical day. The car remains unplugged at work (actually conditions at work are better because we have heated underground parking). So the conditions at home are actually reflected more on reality. Specially if i find myself a job parking on the street all day at those temperatures.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Most of us (if not all of us) use the term conditioning to refer to how the battery warms itself, and we cannot "start" it or "stop" it from happening. Preconditioning refers to heating (or cooling) the cabin by turning the EV on (usually from a distance, usually using the myChevrolet app, with preset climate control settings) but sometimes from the key fob itself. Each of these activities use energy, which, if plugged in, uses "wall" energy, and NOT battery energy. I have "preconditioned" my Bolt in the garage (50 degrees)from upstairs in the house, whether it is plugged in or not, IF my estimated range exceeds my daily needs by a suitable margin. For a long trip, I always precondition while plugged in. Often, I can get by with seat & steering wheel heat only and use blowing air only to defog the windscreen. (A recent 170 mile trip, started with a 180 mile range showing, in 26 degree weather, was done this way very successfully and, by slowing down, allowed me to arrive with more than 10 miles remaining.) For everyday commuting, you do not have to be too compulsive about being plugged in.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm not sure of this, do you think its more efficient to keep the car plugged in?

A slow steady warming on the power grid, rather than on the cars battery, might be a better and cheaper way to condition the battery.

I keep mine inside at night in an unheated garage, I plug it in later in the evening.

I charge the car every other day.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'm not sure of this, do you think its more efficient to keep the car plugged in?

A slow steady warming on the power grid, rather than on the cars battery, might be a better and cheaper way to condition the battery.

I keep mine inside at night in an unheated garage, I plug it in later in the evening.

I charge the car every other day.
Would be interesting to know, what's the "breakeven" point in number of hours for your Bolt sitting in the cold : between 1.) unplugged: big power draw on the battery upon powering up the vehicle as the battery gets itself "conditioned", versus 2.) plugged in with a series of small draws (perhaps 4 per day with a USA Bolt, or 6 per day with a Canadian Bolt) as EVSE is used to keep batt around 40F avoiding such a big power draw upon power-up of vehicle.

I recently left my Bolt idle and plugged in for 18 consecutive coldest days this winter. Cost me about $12 bucks for just batt conditioning over that time frame. A lot of it during peak cost/kwh daytime hours. Can't complain about the 12 bucks (even though that represented about 3 nite time fillups to hilltop). As I avoided the possibility of my battery turning into a useless iceberg.

·
Registered
676 Posts
"Remote start" is probably the most misleading description possible for what the Bolt actually does.

It doesn't "start" anything except climate control for the car interior.

It is not the same as remote start on an ICE car, where it would actually start the engine to generate heat.

It's about as sensible as naming the keyfob "RKE" as in the Bolt manual.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of us (if not all of us) use the term conditioning to refer to how the battery warms itself, and we cannot "start" it or "stop" it from happening. Preconditioning refers to heating (or cooling) the cabin by turning the EV on (usually from a distance, usually using the myChevrolet app, with preset climate control settings) but sometimes from the key fob itself. Each of these activities use energy, which, if plugged in, uses "wall" energy, and NOT battery energy. I have "preconditioned" my Bolt in the garage (50 degrees)from upstairs in the house, whether it is plugged in or not, IF my estimated range exceeds my daily needs by a suitable margin. For a long trip, I always precondition while plugged in. Often, I can get by with seat & steering wheel heat only and use blowing air only to defog the windscreen. (A recent 170 mile trip, started with a 180 mile range showing, in 26 degree weather, was done this way very successfully and, by slowing down, allowed me to arrive with more than 10 miles remaining.) For everyday commuting, you do not have to be too compulsive about being plugged in.
Thank you so much! I was getting the terms mixed up. Now I know.
Conditioning - battery warms or cools itself
preconditioning - heating or cooling the cabin.

I thought I was manually activating both at the same time. LOL silly me

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
Thank you so much! I was getting the terms mixed up. Now I know.
Conditioning - battery warms or cools itself
preconditioning - heating or cooling the cabin.

I thought I was manually activating both at the same time.
You might be activating them both, but only the cabin conditioning is up to you. In my experience, the Bolt will warm the battery, when plugged in, after it drops to some internal temperature, which is probably higher than the temperature at which it does this when not plugged in. However, it sometimes starts to warm the battery, if plugged in, as soon as you hit the preconditioning button. For example: When unplugged, the battery heater may start when the battery core hits 40F. When plugged in, it may start when the battery hits 50F. When you have it plugged in and precondition, it may start if below 60F.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Would be interesting to know, what's the "breakeven" point in number of hours for your Bolt sitting in the cold : between 1.) unplugged: big power draw on the battery upon powering up the vehicle as the battery gets itself "conditioned", versus 2.) plugged in with a series of small draws (perhaps 4 per day with a USA Bolt, or 6 per day with a Canadian Bolt) as EVSE is used to keep batt around 40F avoiding such a big power draw upon power-up of vehicle.

I recently left my Bolt idle and plugged in for 18 consecutive coldest days this winter. Cost me about $12 bucks for just batt conditioning over that time frame. A lot of it during peak cost/kwh daytime hours. Can't complain about the 12 bucks (even though that represented about 3 nite time fillups to hilltop). As I avoided the possibility of my battery turning into a useless iceberg.
Even tho I’m “down south” in NC, we’ve had some cold weather (several sub freezing days in a row) and I noticed (from my JuiceBox logs) that this is about 2 kWh every 4 hours when really cold, stretching to once every 8 to 12 hours when above 40F, and very rarely when 50F or more. I figure this is a “cost of doing business” with an EV...

·
Registered
858 Posts

How is it that you figure the Bolt would be a ICEBRICK ? I assume you mean a brick as in Dead?

I didn't know that this car would be Dead if not plugged in .
When you say "idle" do you mean turned On ?
I have left my car sitting for a few days at 5 F outside and no issues, not plugged in.

Also where is it stated that the EVSE keeps the battery at 40 F ? I can't find that for some reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts