Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am planning on buying a Bolt as soon as they are available in Illinois. I apologize if this has been discussed already but I haven't seen anyone talk about preconditioning the cabin heat / ac while plugged in to a regular 110 v outlet.

I don't have official access to an outlet at work, but in the lot where I park I know there is an outlet. So my question is can I precondition while plugged in to a regular 110 v outlet? I live where winters can be cold and snowy, and hot and muggy in the summer.
The car will be in the lot for 8 hrs, and obviously I want to precondition the cabin. And also, worst case scenario would I be able to precondition unplugged? Does anyone have experience with one or both scinerios?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Excellent question! I'm in Canada and I'm still waiting for delivery of my Bolt. I'm in the same boat with access to a 110 outlet at work and would like to know as well. In addition to the OP's question, will a 110 outlet also activate the battery warming/cooling as well?

·
Banned
350 Posts
You can preheat with 120v, but it will cost charge from the battery, as the heater uses more juice than the 120v EVSE can provide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, you can remote start without being plugged in, either with the app or key remote. It will activate the heat/cooling based on previous settings. Of course, turning the car on will reduce your range if you are not plugged in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, that was what I was thinking, buy nice to know for sure.
How do you guys use the preconditioning? Do you use the app, and does it work like a regular car where it allows a 10 minute "run time" and shuts off?
Or can it stay preconditioning the cabin indefinitely?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, that was what I was thinking, buy nice to know for sure.
How do you guys use the preconditioning? Do you use the app, and does it work like a regular car where it allows a 10 minute "run time" and shuts off?
Or can it stay preconditioning the cabin indefinitely?
The 'my chevrolet' app has a 'key fob' section.....that has a 'precondition' button. Press it and it'll ask for the 4 digit pin to start the preconditioning. In my experience, it take about 8 or 10 minutes for it to get the car up to 75F in my garage here in MI. It's an awesome feature to take advantage of while its plugged into the house.

Dayle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts