Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pressed "PARK" on the shifter while still rolling forward a couple of times, by mistake, and both times it sounded like the ABS kicked on and the car came to a stop, I was probably traveling less than 1-2 miles per hour. It's a pretty startling sound and not one I'd like to hear a third time.

Does anyone have knowledge of what is actually happening to the vehicle when I've done this? Is it the ABS really kicking on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't know as I've never made that mistake.

I did make the mistake once of pressing Park when I was sitting in a driveway completely stopped but being held in place by the traction motor in "L" mode. The car made an evil noise that sounded almost like grinding gears and that was the last time I ever did it.

Now I'm pretty anal about how I stop the car:
1. Come to a stop, foot on the brake
2. Pull parking brake switch
3. Release brake
4. Press Park

I want to make sure that the parking brake is holding the car in place before I press Park. I presume that the car has a parking pawl similar to how an automatic transmission does and those generally aren't very strong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I did make the mistake once of pressing Park when I was sitting in a driveway completely stopped but being held in place by the traction motor in "L" mode. The car made an evil noise that sounded almost like grinding gears and that was the last time I ever did it.
That's exactly what it sounded like and that's what happened the 2nd time my car made the sound. In L mode, I thought I was stopped and was barely rolling (creeping would be more like it) "PARK" button and then the "evil noise"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it kind of boggles my mind that you can engage park while the care is moving... it's all software, just put a check in there.
Above a certain speed, the PARK button won't work:

"The vehicle will not shift into P (Park) if it is moving too fast. Stop the vehicle and shift into P (Park)." p. 207

I wonder what that speed is, I doubt anyone wants to test that out

·
Registered
121 Posts
I heard it twice. I suspect it's an artificially-generated sound to warn you to be more careful next time. Way louder than it would have been if I had made the same mistake in an ICE.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

I've made that mistake a few times too. Sounded exactly like grinding gears like when you first learn to drive manual.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've never put an ICE car in 'Park' whilst moving in 40 years of driving.
I don't plan to try it with this car. Just sayin'. :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I've never put an ICE car in 'Park' whilst moving in 40 years of driving.
I don't plan to try it with this car. Just sayin'. :)
Bet you've never driven an ICE vehicle with a gear selector like the Bolt's either. With a regular autotragic gear selector you have to manually move the gear selector all the way to one end to get to park, with the Bolt all it takes is the inadvertent pressing of a button. I know that more than once I've absent mindedly pressed the "Park" button instead of the gear selector button when trying to put the car in "D" or Reverse, granted the car wasn't moving at the time.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've made that mistake a few times too. Sounded exactly like grinding gears like when you first learn to drive manual.
I just made that mistake twice, by accident. The noise scared me so much, that now my hand automatically steers away from the gear stick at all times.
I wonder why they'd allow it... I mean, the button is just there, any accidental brush can trigger it. You'd think with all the technology, the car would prevent it form activating it while in motion...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Above a certain speed, the PARK button won't work:

"The vehicle will not shift into P (Park) if it is moving too fast. Stop the vehicle and shift into P (Park)." p. 207

I wonder what that speed is, I doubt anyone wants to test that out
That speed should be anything greater than zero. Perhaps there's a reason to allow it to enter park while moving, even if ever so slightly?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
One sleepy morning while driving to the hospital in my Nissan Murano, I wanted to downshift approaching a red light. I mistakenly shifted into reverse! The car simply ignored my request and considered me to be in a second “neutral” position, as if to say “you cannot shift into reverse while moving forward at > 2-3 mph.” I don’t think my Bolt would even let me move the lever to that “R” position.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is a bit concerning, why can’t GM copy toyota and place the “park” button away from the gear selector like in the Prius.
Thanks for the heads up everyone, I’ll keep this in mind when I get my Bolt.

·
Registered
501 Posts
raitchison said:
... I know that more than once I've absent mindedly pressed the "Park" button instead of the gear selector button when trying to put the car in "D" or Reverse, granted the car wasn't moving at the time.
Fascinating. So far, not once. Good luck!

·
Registered
635 Posts
You are not hearing any ABS. You are hearing the parking park in the gearbox ratcheting into position until the gears finally grab it.

The car is moving, but so slowly, it can't detect it. That's why you can do it.

Don't do it.

It may be better to always set the parking brake fist, then set park, then ignition off and it won't happen again.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I haven't done it while rolling at a good clip, but I have mistakenly pushed the P button while stopping in my driveway when stopping at the bottom to get the mail.

What I feel happens, the electric parking brake engages and then the car go's into Park or at least in my case it does because I stop on a kind of steep incline.

I think the transmission would try to protect itself by stopping the wheels before going into Park.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It may be better to always set the parking brake fist, then set park, then ignition off and it won't happen again.
You don't need to set Park separately - turning the car off sets the Park mode. Watch the shifter indicator while pressing the Power button to turn off.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.