Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Used to see people driving around without a front plate all the time. Then when all the cities went gung ho with red light cameras they started cracking down on it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm thinking of getting one of these, and don't think I'd have any trouble with law enforcement around here with it. Does anyone have more info to share before I order?

·
Registered
165 Posts
$67. And my state has needlessly changed the plate number at least once on my 9.5 year-old Equinox! Anything to collect some extra money, I guess...

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm a little fascinated by the fact that some states/provinces in North America legally allow you to drive your car without a front license plate. It was a bit of a culture shock when I lived there way back. I wonder if such places allow you to place whatever you want in the location that a license plate is generally supposed to be attached?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I wonder if such places allow you to place whatever you want in the location that a license plate is generally supposed to be attached?
My state (New Mexico) is one of those. It's actually fun to see what people put on their car for the front plate. Sport teams is very popular. I had a hand painted road runner that I got from a craft fair on one of my cars. For the Bolt, I was able to stop the dealer from installing the plate holder so have nothing. Many cars just have the dealer's advertisement on the front. Think my wife's car sports that one. Some people actually put another state's license plate on to signify where they came from. If there's a law against posting what ever you want, then it definitely is not enforced.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Funny homemade licence plate story, I was on a trip to NYC with Maine plates, it had the plates stripped off one afternoon, so I called the Maine state police to report it. They told me to write my plate number on a piece of cardboard and fix it to the back of the vehicle and drive it home. The NYPD was NOT pleased, and did their usual threatening/ intimidating thing, but in the end they didn't throw me in jail and impound the vehicle, which is a good day in Brooklyn. I drove it through 5 states with zero problems.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The plate is just a piece of metal that proves you paid the fees. They don’t want to encourage using simulated plates because people already use fake plates. If they wrote you a ticket, it would just be reversed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm a little fascinated by the fact that some states/provinces in North America legally allow you to drive your car without a front license plate. It was a bit of a culture shock when I lived there way back. I wonder if such places allow you to place whatever you want in the location that a license plate is generally supposed to be attached?
I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but I believe that half or more of the 50 states don't issue a front plate (I live in Arizona, which is one of them). Many years ago when I was stationed at Ft. Meade, Maryland at the National Security Agency, a very eager young MP went around the 100+ acres of parking lot at NSA writing tickets for every vehicle not displaying a front plate. After dozens of howls of protest from the service members whose states didn't issue them a front plate, the MP's supervisor had to apologize and set his eager young troop straight on it. :) I seem to recall the number was something like 800 tickets he'd written.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Like ButchAZ I live in Arizona. Only one plate and you can keep it on your car forever. I often see old plates with no "paint" on the numbers. Just a shinny plate with raised numbers. FYI, the new AZ plates are not stamped. They just have some type of material that shows the numbers. Maybe they will last longer. Also if you get a drivers license at the age of 21, it is good until you are 65. Think about how the picture versus driver looks. :eek:

When I was in Washington with little bright sun, the readability of the plates lasted forever, but they made me buy a new one every few years.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used to live in MA (up until age 30). They’re a 2-plate state because, well ... it’s just consistent with their M.O.: they screw you every way they can up there!

But actually, I think they’re right on this one (if only by accident): every vehicle should have two plates on it ... for obvious reasons, and I’m shocked that some states go with only one. Very curious as to how these decisions are made because they make no sense at all.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but I believe that half or more of the 50 states don't issue a front plate (I live in Arizona, which is one of them). Many years ago when I was stationed at Ft. Meade, Maryland at the National Security Agency, a very eager young MP went around the 100+ acres of parking lot at NSA writing tickets for every vehicle not displaying a front plate. After dozens of howls of protest from the service members whose states didn't issue them a front plate, the MP's supervisor had to apologize and set his eager young troop straight on it. :) I seem to recall the number was something like 800 tickets he'd written.
It’s only 9 states. There’s a list on the internet somewhere. Michigan dropped the front plate in the early 80s to save money. 50% less plates needed.

I was in New York State and got stopped at a mandatory checkpoint where the trooper was checking for front plates and window tags. He went to the back of the car, saw it was from a state that did not do front plates nor window tags (the tag was on the plate) and waved me by.

And yes, we get to put anything on the front. Decorative, custom, or just plain advertising on that front plate bracket (if equipped).

·
Registered
374 Posts
I used to live in MA (up until age 30). They’re a 2-plate state because, well ... it’s just consistent with their M.O.: they screw you every way they can up there!

But actually, I think they’re right on this one (if only by accident): every vehicle should have two plates on it ... for obvious reasons, and I’m shocked that some states go with only one. Very curious as to how these decisions are made because they make no sense at all.
We have homes in both MA and AZ. Two plates on our MA cars, one on our AZ cars. No one seems perturbed in AZ that their autos have only a rear plate. Don't think it's a big deal.

For the record, I like these "stick on" plates. Neat idea.

Rich

·
Registered
165 Posts
We have homes in both MA and AZ. Two plates on our MA cars, one on our AZ cars. No one seems perturbed in AZ that their autos have only a rear plate. Don't think it's a big deal.
Well, they're not thinking about it in the right light, then. They're probably thinking ... "this is easier, I don't have to damage my front bumper cover, it looks better ...", but then someone hits them and takes off, or abducts a child, or steals a car ... you should have two plates to increase your chances of catching these people.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The website for this product says it’s legal but it is not in the state of Wisconsin. You have to display the state issued plates, front and back though the lack of front plates is seldomly enforced but helps in OWI enforcement by providing an easy reason to make a stop and make contact. Anyone looking to buy this should check with their state DMV and also check with their highway patrol or state traffic law enforcement agency .... get a written response.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts