Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Someone said they need the front plate for red light cameras. Here by vote of the people, we have outlawed red light cameras. The system Tucson had contracted for provided only still pictures and often resulted in a ticket for people who started a left turn on green and then got trapped in the intersection for a condition beyond their control. All there was for the court was the picture of them in the intersection with the red light = guilty. So by initiative they were removed. They also outlawed speed cameras. FYI the company that provided the system was also located in Arizona.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
16 Posts
Red light cameras or speed cameras or toll cameras use the rear plates, lots of people would opt out of the front plate If they had a chance And some will prohibit the dealer from drilling the front bumper During PDI. I don’t see why it’s a big deal not to have a front plate, plate scanners will pick up anything.
Alonso it looks like California is or was testing a digital plate a couple of years back

·
Registered
198 Posts
Someone said they need the front plate for red light cameras. Here by vote of the people, we have outlawed red light cameras. The system Tucson had contracted for provided only still pictures and often resulted in a ticket for people who started a left turn on green and then got trapped in the intersection for a condition beyond their control. All there was for the court was the picture of them in the intersection with the red light = guilty. So by initiative they were removed. They also outlawed speed cameras. FYI the company that provided the system was also located in Arizona.
While they were used for red light cameras, they are used more here for tolling. While there has been a huge push for toll tags to pay bridge tolls as they remove toll takers and make tolling automated, for people who don't get the toll tags, front photos are taken and invoices are sent to the registered vehicle owners.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
front photos are taken and invoices are sent to the registered vehicle owners.
While driving in Colorado, being from out of state (car only has a rear plate), accidentally got on a toll road. Only drove on it till the next exit. A month later, got a bill. So Colorado has figured out how to get the photo of the rear of the car.

·
Registered
357 Posts
While they were used for red light cameras, they are used more here for tolling. While there has been a huge push for toll tags to pay bridge tolls as they remove toll takers and make tolling automated, for people who don't get the toll tags, front photos are taken and invoices are sent to the registered vehicle owners.
After COVID-19, the local bridges stopped having toll collectors. Signs announced that a bill will be mailed for the tolls.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Interesting... from what I understand, a "proper" red light camera would either record video or take multiple photos showing the red light running vehicle behind the line while the light was red and beyond the line slightly later during the same red light phase.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Unfortunately the ones in Tucson did not have video or multi photos. That would have solved the issue. FYI Ohio just joined 19 other states that do not require a front plate. See link.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My state (New Mexico) is one of those. It's actually fun to see what people put on their car for the front plate. Sport teams is very popular. I had a hand painted road runner that I got from a craft fair on one of my cars. For the Bolt, I was able to stop the dealer from installing the plate holder so have nothing. Many cars just have the dealer's advertisement on the front. Think my wife's car sports that one. Some people actually put another state's license plate on to signify where they came from. If there's a law against posting what ever you want, then it definitely is not enforced.
I live in Santa Fe and purchased the car in-state. There is no front license plate holder (fortunately).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Unfortunately the ones in Tucson did not have video or multi photos. That would have solved the issue. FYI Ohio just joined 19 other states that do not require a front plate. See link.
Yep. As an Ohio resident, I'm pleased with this. Our Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon was a PA car, and never had a front bracket installed. As we intend to restore it fully, I had no intention of drilling holes in the bumper to affix a universally doesn't fit anything front plate mount. My Chevy Colorado has a brush guard with winch plate and winch. The plate mount is totally obscured by the setup, forcing me to comply by wedging the license plate between the roller plate and winch plate. It looked horribe, and I couldn't get the janky arrangement properly removed quickly enough. The 2012 Leaf is currently still sporting it's front plate, as is my Partner's Subaru Crosstrek. My 2004 Saturn ION Redline, and Bolt both have a "Bad Wolf" plate in the theme of Dr. Who on the front in their front plate brackets. I hate front plates. The police only used them as a means of adding to tickets when pulling someone over to make their ticket quotas. All 50 states should ditch the front plate.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts