Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there , Im new on here and its my first time that I ever participated on a trend, I just bought a Bolt yesterday , and drove it around for 150 km my battery indicator showed that I had remaining 142 km balance . At 8PM i plugged the car into a 110V wall plug and left the car all night , today morning at 9AM , exactly 13 hours later I come out to my car and the indicator shows that I have 162 km left. I went straight to the dealer and the sales person told me that he had no experience with this issue. They let me plug into the SuperCharger and within 30 minuits I was able to get 200 km charge on the car . It allowed me to get around for the day.
Am I doing something wrong? Does the 110V plug work or is this normal? The weather in Montreal yesterday was -5 C and the car was parked outdoors.

Please help do I have a lemon? or is there some setting I need to activate?

John

·
Registered
67 Posts
The 120V (Level 1) is quite slow. If driving 150 km a day is normal for you, then you will need to install a much faster Level 2 charger in your home. With a Level 2 charger you can recharge your battery to full overnight, even from a nearly empty state.

The 142 km when you parked last night was an estimate based on temperature, your driving style, and use of the climate controls, which can use up a lot of power. The overnight charge would have topped you up to a certain extent (definitely not full). The 162 km range in the morning was also just an estimate. You probably got more than 20 km worth of charge into your battery overnight, but the colder morning temperature would have reduced your estimated range.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
if you just plugged it in, it defaulted to 8 amps. outdoors with the cold weather it used the less than 1000 watts just to keep the battery conditioned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what is a realistic range that the Bolt can do on the 120V (level 1) charger after 12 hours of charging. If my only alternative is to install a 220V (level 2) charger I will order one.

·
Registered
862 Posts
So what is a realistic range that the Bolt can do on the 120V (level 1) charger after 12 hours of charging. If my only alternative is to install a 220V (level 2) charger I will order one.
The Bolt defaults to an 8 amp setting when using 120V, and that will get you up to about 5 km per hour of charging. Parked outside in sub zero temps you will see much less than that. If you have it plugged into a dedicated outlet with nothing else on the circuit, you can bump it to 12 A and get 7-8 km (under ideal conditions).

There are several good reasons to use a 240V EVSE. Faster charging is the most obvious, but GM recommends keeping the car plugged into a 240V when temps are below 0 degrees. It will also allow you to precondition and get the car warm using house power instead of the battery.

It is a common misconception that charging is measured in miles or kilometers. That display is an estimate of the range you will get if you drive under similar conditions and at similar speeds to recent trips. It will also adjust the expected range down if the battery is colder (sitting overnight at -5 will do that).

The battery charge level looks like a fuel gauge, and that is a better indication of how much charge you are getting.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
ignoring some losses:

120V level 1 "charger" (in quotes as technically not a charger per se) at 8 amp setting is 120*8 = 0.96 kW, let's assume 238 miles per full 60kWhr battery. That would take this "charger" 60kWhr/0.96 kW 62.6 hours to charge the battery or gain 238 miles in 62.5 hours. That's 3.8 miles per hour (mph).

setting the car software to allow 12 amps on the same level 1 "charger", doing the same math, 120*12 = 1.44 kW takes 42 hours to charge or you gain 5.7 miles per hour.

So, the best you can do in 12 hours at 120V is 46 to 68 miles added.

The full level 2 "charger" at 240V and 32 amps yields 240*32 = 7.68 kW. The math says it would be fully charged in 7.8 hours. But considering tapering and efficiencies, it is advertised to take 9.5 hours.

Many of us have plugged our level 1 "charger" into 240V to double our charge rate. 240*12 = 2.88 kW. 21 hours to fully charge or approximately 11 mph. So best case in 12 hours of charging is 132 miles in 12 hours. Again, I'm ignoring some losses so my numbers are on the optimistic side.

Sorry, all my numbers are in miles as I'm in the US.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just make sure to think everything through...where to put the plug, how long the charger cord should be and all the other stuff...good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts