Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I’m a new owner or a bolt EV in Québec and i’m unable to plug my car on a super fast charge.

Last week i had issue, i need to plug and unplug 3 times before the car accept to ne authentificate and today nothing. Thé super charge said to unplug and plug, i tried many Time without succeed.

Thé car accept thé 240volt, so i’m sticking at a restaurant for 3h!

Anyone already has this error. ?

Thank

·
Registered
173 Posts
Other than being parked close enough to have a *lot* of slack in the cord (ie, no lateral pulling) or snow/ice in the plug somewhere, nope.

L2 charging is preferred in cold weather as it will actually warm the battery, while L3 doesn't (or much at least).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have noticed that sometimes a DCFC ("fast charger") takes a long time to 'authenticate' the connection. You should wait for the attempted connection to 'fail' (for the station to TELL you the connection failed) before unplugging and trying again. I figured this out at one annoying station, when after several 'failed' attempts I was looking at my phone trying to find the closest charger and the connection finally succeeded : I had not been waiting long enough for the authentication/handshake. (I had been 'giving up' after 30 seconds or so and unplugging/re-plugging - on the final attempt, the extra time I spent looking at the smart-phone was enough time for the charger to OK my car ...)

Google translate actually did a decent job translating this! I did have to fix a few words ...

J'ai remarqué que parfois un DCFC ("fast charger") prend beaucoup de temps pour "authentifier" la connexion. Vous devez attendre que la tentative de connexion échoue (pour que la station vous informe que la connexion a échoué) avant de débrancher et d'essayer à nouveau. J'ai compris cela à une station chiante, quand après plusieurs tentatives "ratées" je regardais mon téléphone, essayant de trouver le chargeur le plus proche, et la connexion a finalement réussi: je n'avais pas attendu assez longtemps pour l'authentification / poignée de main. (Avant, j'avais abandonné après 30 secondes environ et débranché / rebranché - lors de la dernière tentative, le temps supplémentaire que j'ai passé à regarder le smartphone était suffisant pour que le chargeur authentifie ma voiture ...)

{{ En France, 'smartphone' ne se traduit pas. Mais on ne dit pas 'chiens chauds' dans les alpes - donc je ne connais pas le vocabulaire correcte au Quebec. ;) }}

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I out thé car in thé garage, i will try to plug again in 1 hour. Thé L2 is from public area and try 2 L2...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried again and the car accepted thé L2 in public area.

So the cold temp affect the charge ?

The temp outside is -25C

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I tried again and the car accepted thé L2 in public area.

So the cold temp affect the charge ?

The temp outside is -25C
definitely affects the DCFC. L2 might have to do battery conditioning before it will start to charge.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If you are having charge issues, you should go back to the dealer that sold you the vehicle and show them the problem. Also, take pictures of error messages (either on the L2 charge unit, or on the display of the Bolt) to show the dealer. Document EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
definitely affects the DCFC. L2 might have to do battery conditioning before it will start to charge.
c.f. my current thread "Two Firsts" detailing my trip to Columbus OH (160 miles) in 20 degree F. weather. Thank goodness the (free) DCFC (ChargePoint unit) worked fine and charged from a SoC of 15% (40 miles) to 100% (180 miles) in 90 minutes. The DCFC did NOT condition the battery. I did plug in the minute I got there, hoping that the batteries were "warm" from the 3 hour drive, and the DCFC would start, which it did immediately.

Kudos to Easton Gateway for installing multiple Level 2 and DCFC (both SAE/CCS & CHAdeMO) which electricity is paid for by the many shops gaining business (and $$$) from the arrangement.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have had this happen at a couple charges....I just immediately call the number on the station. They can reset it if its crashed or has some other computer problem.

They can also tell you if anyone used is successfully recently, and locations of other DCFC nearby and their recent operational status. I always call if I have a problem. The operators sound bored, so I give them something to do....while they charge me $0.50/kWh.

Last week one EVGo operator told me that a dual Chademo/CCS station had been used repeatedly for Chademo that day, but not for CCS in a while. I asked them to 'flag it', and gave it a down rating on PlugShare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried thé DC fast many times up to 10 at 2 locations in différent cities.

I will call the dealer.

At my job, i have à 240 volt station, work fine! But yesterday i was on a trip of 250 miles in thé dame day at -25 Celsius. Really need thé DC fast, and a guy tried to help me, he had a Nissan leaf and on it’s véhicule work fine.

Also, he said he needs 10 minutes to get 80% of charges (75 miles), i need almost 90-120 min to get 80% (100-125 miles).

·
Registered
5 Posts
CHADdeMO hookup issue

I ran into a problem this weekend. I was in Astoria Oregon and went to the charging station at the Transit Center. they had a level 2 charger, but the DC fast charger had a CHAdeMO plug and of course my Bolt had the SAE combo hookup. The representative at the charging network explained that the CHAdeMO fast chargers were put in a few years back and the Bolt is the only car out with the SAE Combo connection. Is this right?

Is their any adapter that would let me hook up my Bolt to the CHAdeMO charger? Thanks!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I ran into a problem this weekend. I was in Astoria Oregon and went to the charging station at the Transit Center. they had a level 2 charger, but the DC fast charger had a CHAdeMO plug and of course my Bolt had the SAE combo hookup. The representative at the charging network explained that the CHAdeMO fast chargers were put in a few years back and the Bolt is the only car out with the SAE Combo connection. Is this right?

Is their any adapter that would let me hook up my Bolt to the CHAdeMO charger? Thanks!
Cars with CCS:
Chevy Bolt EV
Chevy Spark EV
BMW i3 (BEV & REx)
Ford Focus Electric
Honda Clarity Electric
Hyundai Ioniq Electric
Jaguar I-Pace
VW e-Golf

Cars with CHAdeMO:
Nissan LEAF
Mitsubishi I-MiEV
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
Kia Soul EV

Kia/Hyndai has moved to CCS.

Nissan is pretty much the lone holdout for CHAdeMO. Thay ar ein an "Alliance" with Renault and Mitsubishi. Renault has standardized on CCS, Mitsu is still CHAdeMO. Only othe brand I've heard embracing CHAdeMO is Bollinger with their B1, but that may change before production starts.

No adapter, and indeed the first stations installed were CHAdeMO. Virtually everything being installed now is either dual handle or CCS only.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts