Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can shift into L easily enough with two pulls down from P. But I am unable to shift from L to D. Pushing up once doesn't work. I have to push up twice to get to N -- and then pull down once to get to D. Am I missing something in the car's instructions . . . or is there a problem with the shifting? Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, I never would have guessed! Thank you. (But how did you learn this? I can't see any directions for this maneuver in the manual for my 2020 Bolt LT.)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am glad you learnt it now.

Where is it?
Two places.

1. RTFM
2. There was a colorful tag on the shifter explaining all procedures.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
1. RTFM
I agree, but it's worth pointing out that purchasers of used vehicles probably never saw (2) and some of them might not even have seen (1).

·
787 Posts
I am glad you learnt it now.

Where is it?
Two places.

1. RTFM
Never saw #2 when I bought new. This was actually one of the few "EV" features the dealer sales rep knew about when I test drove it. I learned from him...and I think I had seen it briefly in some YouTube videos when I was researching the Bolt.

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
Never saw #2 when I bought new. This was actually one of the few "EV" features the dealer sales rep knew about when I test drove it. I learned from him...and I think I had seen it briefly in some YouTube videos when I was researching the Bolt.
Our salesperson about died when I shifted into L at 70 mph. They didn't have a clue how EVs work.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Several of us regen fans have problem shifting out of L. LOL

Reactions: jaymac and GJETSON

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
We bought a brand new Bolt in July of 2017, and there was no such tag on the shifter, or anywhere in the car.
Mine was attached to the shifter knob. The salesman probably removed it from your vehicle for a previous test drive and never bothered to replace it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
🙂 Thanks so much for the reminder about that plastic tab. It must be at the bottom of a stack of documents in the glove compartment!

·
Registered
6,260 Posts
My new 2017 Premier didn't have a colorful tag but this booklet was in the glove compartment:

It has similar L -> D instructions on page 6 but it's not as clear as the tag.
I was just about to write that there was no such colorful booklet in our glove compartment. Then I thought I would check in the bulging folder we keep for the Bolt in the filling cabinet. Sure enough, I must have felt that bit of information was worth saving, as I tore out that one page, and kept it.

The manual, which we do keep in the console, under the drop-in tray, has this to say about shifting.

Shifting.png

1 - 17 of 17 Posts