Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got stranded the other night at a restaurant. Car would start up fine, but couldn't go out of Park. OnStar folks talked me through a reboot, no help - had to get towed to the dealer. Car had gone into a fail-safe mode. Root cause appears to be the park release button, which has two switches. If you don't press the button firmly and in the middle, you can activate only one of the switches. If this happens enough, the car decides one of the switches is broken and therefore goes into a fail-safe mode. I assume there will be a tech bulletin eventually that either fixes the button/switch interaction or the software logic for monitoring the switches. Meanwhile, press that button firmly and in the middle!
Was happy to see that the Service folks are reimbursing me for my Lyft rides while the car was out of commission.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Just as a side note, I have gotten to reset the fail safe of several vehicles and straight truck buy unhooking the 12v battery for 5 min. Probable not with it their but if your in dire straights it's worth a try. May not work but Jen again it may.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's very odd... I don't understand why there would be two buttons placed on either side if they need to be pushed at the same time, why not put them on a single button under the button cover? That's weird... but thanks for the heads up.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I assume this electric parking brake system is the same one they use on all kinds of ICE powered cars and not unique to the Bolt. They've been doing them awhile now, so I would have thought this would all be sorted out.

I'm always suspicious of electric automatic anythings. I prefer the manual parking brake, but these days I knew I was likely to get one of these electric gizmos no matter which car I bought. I really hope this is an isolated incident.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: the transmission service light came on again, so I high-tailed it back to the dealer before it got stuck in park again. Same error codes as before. This time they decided the button/switches weren't working properly and replaced the shift lever. Fingers crossed....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bolt EV does not shift out of Park

Got stranded the other night at a restaurant. Car would start up fine, but couldn't go out of Park. OnStar folks talked me through a reboot, no help - had to get towed to the dealer. Car had gone into a fail-safe mode. Root cause appears to be the park release button, which has two switches. If you don't press the button firmly and in the middle, you can activate only one of the switches. If this happens enough, the car decides one of the switches is broken and therefore goes into a fail-safe mode. I assume there will be a tech bulletin eventually that either fixes the button/switch interaction or the software logic for monitoring the switches. Meanwhile, press that button firmly and in the middle!
Was happy to see that the Service folks are reimbursing me for my Lyft rides while the car was out of commission.
I have a similar issue on my Bolt bought less than a month ago. I could not shift the car out of the Parking gear into R or D or L. There was also a Service - Transmission message on the center panel with a service required light on. I tried after an hour and was able to move the car but the service light is still on. Taking it to a dealer now.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts