Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have this problem at EVGO stations (only - not happening in ChargePoint only Stations). The Charging stops randomly after 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 minutes into the charging process. If you are not in the car - its a pain to come back & then disconnect & reconnect and then the same thing happens again. Has happened about 4 to 5 times in the last 8 Charges.
(Have tried to complain to EVGO about this - but they don't even wan to understand this - their customer service usually says AFTER I have restarted the Charging process - "Do you want me to reset the machine now?!!"
Anybody else has such issues with the charging process ?
Is this an issue with the car ? (Only happens in EVGO though)

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I'd need to know more about the issues you're encountering, types of chargers, etc. All I can say from my own experience in my Bolt EV is that EVgo has been the most reliable network of any provider on a charger-for-charger basis.

·
Registered
894 Posts
i don’t know your location but in the Northeast, EVGo is among the least reliable charging networks. I’ve had all sorts of issues.

my favorite is the “rogue mouse” charger. Many of the touch screens are beat up from use and exposure. If you watch, you cansee the mouse pointer jumping randomly around the screen. It would also occasionally “click” whereever it was. If it happened to be on the giant “Stop Charging” button, well guess what - your session is done. In my experience, the amount of time it took for this to happen is kind of random. Sometimes it would be seconds after you started. Sometimes it would be 40+ minutes into your 45 minute session. Whenever the stars align, your session ends.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
i don’t know your location but in the Northeast, EVGo is among the least reliable charging networks. I’ve had all sorts of issues.

my favorite is the “rogue mouse” charger. Many of the touch screens are beat up from use and exposure. If you watch, you cansee the mouse pointer jumping randomly around the screen. It would also occasionally “click” whereever it was. If it happened to be on the giant “Stop Charging” button, well guess what - your session is done. In my experience, the amount of time it took for this to happen is kind of random. Sometimes it would be seconds after you started. Sometimes it would be 40+ minutes into your 45 minute session. Whenever the stars align, your session ends.
Had this in St. Louis! One of the EVGo I used there looked like it actually had water inside the touch screen, so the touch screen was useless for the customer to click on anything, but the mouse pointer was jumping all over the place on it's own, and clicking... and yes, it would manage to hit the big red stop button every few minutes and I would have to climb out of the car during a downpour and have to re-start it... as soon as I reached the bare minimum to get to a different station I left that one and reported it to both plugshare and EVGo.

Keith

·
Registered
447 Posts
I seem to have this problem at EVGO stations (only - not happening in ChargePoint only Stations). The Charging stops randomly after 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 minutes into the charging process. If you are not in the car - its a pain to come back & then disconnect & reconnect and then the same thing happens again. Has happened about 4 to 5 times in the last 8 Charges.
(Have tried to complain to EVGO about this - but they don't even wan to understand this - their customer service usually says AFTER I have restarted the Charging process - "Do you want me to reset the machine now?!!"
What does Plugshare say for those locations? Have the addresses and/or Plugshare links?

I had one EVgo charger (part of DrivetheARC) that would stop about a minute into the session. I parked sideways and it didn't help. Finally, while parked sideways, I supported the cable with the post that was there and had a trouble free 45 minute session.

At another location, a fellow Bolt driver (I kinda know him from charging encounters and Plugshare private messages) at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You told me and posted that he had to park sideways and support the cable w/a stick. He did say he was going to have the plug (inlet) checked when he went into for service. Not sure what the outcome of that was. I believe his his a '17 or '18 as he's had a Bolt for considerably longer than me.

Pretty much most of my other sessions on Home Page - DRIVEtheARC EVgo chargers have been ok. Or, if I have trouble w/one DC FC, the other works ok.

I usually check Plugshare to see which one to avoid, if any. At the DTA locations I go to, it's not that unusual if one of the two chargers (if there are two) isn't working properly, either by Plugshare reports or others or myself experiencing it.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
28 Posts
My chief complaint with EVgo is the cost.

On my 2400 mile Labor Day trip, I used two EVgo locations: one was two charges because the first one hit the 45min limit. For me, the EVgo net total was $0.58/kWh, whereas on this trip EA was $0.26/kWh and Chargepoint $0.24/kWh, even with "memberships" for all. At Greenlots, 5 total sessions were all free, but that's because I drove through Iowa coming home (including one free in Indianapolis).

·
Registered
553 Posts
Most of the EVgo chargers I've used automatically cut off at 80% SOC. I think they're set up this way so that people won't "sit" at a charger for a long time, thus preventing others from charging (Although I've never seen one backed up). Anyway, it always lets me start another charge if I want to but I frequently don't because of the slow charge rate after 80%.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My chief complaint with EVgo is the cost.

On my 2400 mile Labor Day trip, I used two EVgo locations: one was two charges because the first one hit the 45min limit. For me, the EVgo net total was $0.58/kWh, whereas on this trip EA was $0.26/kWh and Chargepoint $0.24/kWh, even with "memberships" for all. At Greenlots, 5 total sessions were all free, but that's because I drove through Iowa coming home (including one free in Indianapolis).
What Greenlots was working in Indianapolis?

Paul

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
28 Posts
What Greenlots was working in Indianapolis?

Paul
I'm pretty sure it was an ex-Greenlots location. I remember finding it in some app somewhere before the trip (probably MyChevrolet but I don't remember for sure). When I got there, it was a "push the CCS button to start, no payment needed" situation.

It's BP/Ricker's at 8558 Northwest Blvd, Indy. It's on the exterior wall of the car wash building next to the air and vacuum. On the date I went through, all I had to do was plug in and press the left hand silver button to start a CCS charge - no account/card/payment needed. The screen is near impossible to read since it's so washed out, but it worked.

Actually now that I think of it, I believe I had to press that silver button first before getting access to the cable that's in a weird locked box on the left side of the pedestal. But it did end up working though.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
28 Posts
Most of the EVgo chargers I've used automatically cut off at 80% SOC. I think they're set up this way so that people won't "sit" at a charger for a long time, thus preventing others from charging (Although I've never seen one backed up). Anyway, it always lets me start another charge if I want to but I frequently don't because of the slow charge rate after 80%.
Yes, but the EVgo "Guadalupe" at the Wendy's in Dandridge TN cut me off at the customary 45 minute member limit regardless of SOC. I don't remember what I was at when it stopped, but I hadn't yet reached 80%. I think my car was either that low upon arrival or the charge rate wasn't running fully in order for me to make 80% by 45 minutes.

Those two sessions totalled about $25 overall. Definitely my most expensive charge the whole trip. I will absolutely skip EVgo if there's any L3 option nearby within my charge backup margin.

IMHO we won't reach gasser equity for long trips until L3 is far more saturated and reliability approaches the (nearly effectively) 100% reliability of gas stations. That would enable me to reduce/eliminate backup margins and let me travel to the edges of the 20%-80% best practice we'd like to have. This initial long trip I was being extremely conservative with arrival SOC since I was new at it (and I still am).

CostL3 Dur hh:mmL3 kWh AddedEffective $/kWh

$15.310:4527.00$0.57
$9.870:2912.76$0.77

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
266 Posts
I'd need to know more about the issues you're encountering, types of chargers, etc. All I can say from my own experience in my Bolt EV is that EVgo has been the most reliable network of any provider on a charger-for-charger basis.
Same, I usually seek EVGo chargers out cause I've had by far the most reliable experience with them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I guess it just goes to show that reliability, the most important metric for a charging station is hard to measure. I've had good luck with EVgo. but that might be because they seem to do a good job saying when they are down on Plugshare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same here. What I been doing is leaving my car on and it keeps on charging until the unit stops on it’s time limit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts