·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have used ProClip Mounts on my past 4 cars and I can vouch for the quality and stability of the mounts. That being said, I found the devices holder that they are providing to the very bad, on top of being very expensive. Most of the devices holder will not accommodate cases, or will do so with very specific cases. Also the friction-style grab DO scratch the phone.

So my advice is to use the Proclip Car mount mount but then to create a custom device holder, using a ball mount and a generic clamp style phone mount. Attached is an example:

Ball mount: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AYLYWA[/ame]
Phone Mount: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5PS1PG[/ame] Or [ame]https://www.amazon.com/BE-Universal-Smartphones-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B01KM1J38G[/ame]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I never needed my mobile phone mount after upgrading to cars with Android Auto. I just connect my phone and leave in the center console area where the USB plugs are. What else would you use your phone for aside from maps, music, and calls?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I never needed my mobile phone mount after upgrading to cars with Android Auto. I just connect my phone and leave in the center console area where the USB plugs are. What else would you use your phone for aside from maps, music, and calls?
I really like Android Auto, but I'm a little annoyed that I can't access my non-AA apps while I have the phone plugged in. That's particularly important when I need to charge and I want to check the status of chargers so I know which one to go to...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Same here, I do not need a high mounted phone mount this time with the Bolt and Android Auto. I did create a pouch for the phone though.

I really like Android Auto, but I'm a little annoyed that I can't access my non-AA apps while I have the phone plugged in. That's particularly important when I need to charge and I want to check the status of chargers so I know which one to go to...
This works for me:
- While plugged and locked in Android Auto. unlock your phone (see the Android Auto logo)
- Press the recently used app button, that should take you to the app thumbnail carousel
- While on the app thumbnail carousel, press the Home button.
- Voila, Android Auto is still working, you can use your phone.

Launching some Android auto app may trigger the phone to relock, but not for all apps, I am able to interact with the phone version of Pocket Cast while its playing on Android Auto for instance.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
This works for me:
- While plugged and locked in Android Auto. unlock your phone (see the Android Auto logo)...
That's a little problematic for me because I keep the phone in the charging slot with a very short USB connecting cable. I really like the cable because even without the phone the cable keeps its shape with the phone end right hanging next to the phone's USB jack, which makes it super easy to connect and disconnect. But the downside is that I can't remove the phone from the slot without disconnecting the cable.

What I'd love to see (and perhaps we'll see this in a future version of Android Auto) is the ability to interact with non-AA apps when the vehicle is stopped.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm thinking about mounting an iPad Mini 4 and hope the ProClip is strong enough to hold it. I'll use the iPad Mini for Waze and my iPhone for CarPlay (can't have Waze screen on with CarPlay running Maps or Music (or any other non-CarPlay App.)

With the iPhone and CarPlay, the phone App matches the App on the dashboard screen. So if your in the Map or Music App and pick up the phone and go into another App, the Dashboard Screen goes back to the Chevy default screen. If you go back to the CarPlay App - eg Maps or Music, the Dashboard screen will also go back to the CarPlay screen.

Is that also how Android works too?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts