Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
The difference is that you had two working remotes. The instructions are different when you only have 1 and trying to add the second one. I think others have said when you have two working remotes and adding to it works fine
Yes, but the instructions for when you have only one remote include waiting for something like an hour between some of the steps. This is to prevent someone like a valet from cloning your key. If you don't wait for the required time then I can easily imagine the car would go into theft lockdown on the assumption that whoever is trying to set up the new remote is not authorized.

Note that in on Canadian Bolts you can't program a new fob unless you have two authorized fobs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank you for sharing this unfortunate experience. I'm in the exact situation. Were you able to figure this out? I can still start the Bolt even with the theft deterrent warning and lockpad icon lit but it is concerning that the negative indicators will not go away.

Anyone know how long you can go with this lockpad icon before I can no longer power the Bolt? Anyone else have had success getting rid of the theft deterrent error? I would hate to visit the local dealership and pay $ just to have it reset. I tried disconnecting the negative cable for 15 min, that did nothing. :( Thanks for any help this community can offer.
If you don't have a second remote that can program, hold down the power key for 12 seconds to temporarily exit out of programming mode. After that, you can start the car again, but the car will prompt for it again. I'd suggest getting a second remote.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Getting a key fob to forget the car is another story. It must be factory reset by an automotive locksmith that has the proper key fob maintenance programmer. I haven't been able to find such a person (after 4 tries, being told that they can't do Bolts).

In short:
Make sure you really lose your key fob (no phone number or address with it).
Only buy new or factory reset key fobs on the internet.
It looks like searching for the FCC ID for the remote (HYQ4AA) and "unlock" yields some results for online locksmiths that may be able to reset it. It does look like there are some aftermarket remotes compatible with that, but they might need some programming. I found a new transmitter for $72 shipped, but I've ordered an aftermarket remote and a programmer to experiment with the Bolt, since those are around $20.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you don't have a second remote that can program, hold down the power key for 12 seconds to temporarily exit out of programming mode. After that, you can start the car again, but the car will prompt for it again. I'd suggest getting a second remote.
I found that my AGM was completely depleted when I tried to start the vehicle today. While I'd ordinarily use a small handheld jump starter to turn on the battery long enough to engage the HV system, the one I'm using runs for less than 12 seconds. As far as I can tell, the programming mode can run down the LV battery. I ended up having to pick up some jumper cables to another EV to get through the 12 second override and open up the HV contactor (start the car) to recharge the AGM via the DC-DC converter.

I'd strongly suggest making sure that you have two programmable remotes before starting this process because it's somewhat of a hassle when the process has not been completed, this thing included. I'm still waiting for another remote to show up in the mail, so I've put my AGM on a battery minder in the meantime to avoid this from happening again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It looks like searching for the FCC ID for the remote (HYQ4AA) and "unlock" yields some results for online locksmiths that may be able to reset it. It does look like there are some aftermarket remotes compatible with that, but they might need some programming. I found a new transmitter for $72 shipped, but I've ordered an aftermarket remote and a programmer to experiment with the Bolt, since those are around $20.
Turns out that these aftermarket remotes have to be prepared to program with the Bolt, so the one I got didn't do the trick (stuck waiting for second remote), and the programmer for it got delayed.

My understanding of it at this point is you'd want it to be pre-programmed if you end up going this route or have a programmer that you know is compatible with it on-hand. It looks like an Xhorse vvdi mini and an Xhorse smart key may work using the 315MHz Buick key setting, but it'll probably be a few weeks before it shows up in the mail to test.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I got my new Bolt I purchased thee from the place in the website below (yes, I'm neurotic...). One for my wife, one for me, and one hidden in the rear trunk area, with the battery removed. The OEM keys never leave our home.

I do that will any car that has such a type of key, which seems to be all these days (except Tesla anyway).

Rich

Oh, I also had the little "key" part ground to match the OEM one. Did that at a local ACE.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts