Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new legislation was proposed earlier this month and if passed, people commuting in electric cars can get up to $250 per month in benefits. It's called the Electric Vehicle Credit Act, allowing employers to give those who drive to work in an electric car the same pre-tax transportation benefits that people using traditional modes of transportation are already getting. If that happens, it'll basically offset the Bolt charging costs and make it free to drive every month (depending on how much you drive).

There's more info about it on electrek.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Your thread title is a misleading.

The bill does not actually allow for an employer to pay an employee $250/m tax free to charge.

If they provide (or pay for) charging at or near the workplace, they can list it as non-taxable income on the employees W-2. It cannot be used to reimburse costs to charge at home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Additional tax incentives maybe wishful thinking!

Many market signal suggests - GM has held back on full release because:
1. Not know and or backing the relaxing of the CAFA/emission standards.
2. The elimination of the tax rebates.
3. Loosing $9K.

Good product, not currently profitable - Doesn't help GM bottom line the next few quarters.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts

3. Loosing $9K.

Good product, not currently profitable - Doesn't help GM bottom line the next few quarters.
Do you have any idea how much it costs to develop and bring to market and all new car? Not just a new model on an existing platform, but an all new everything? For ICE cars, I've heard hundreds of millions. I think BEVs are a little cheaper though because of the simple drive train, but all that battery development ain't cheap either.

How would pulling the plug on the Bolt help their bottom line now?? Hundreds of millions down the drain. No, at this point they need to get as many out as fast as possible to recoup as much of their investment as they can before tax credits go away. They are going away for sure because the legislation is written that way. Congress and Trump don't need to repeal it, it will die on it's own by design.

As many have pointed out, the relaxing of the CAFE standards don't really matter because California will still do what they want and all the car companies of the world will have to fall in line if they want to continue to sell in one of the world's most important car markets. Trump and his mob can do what they want, but California will be staying on it's current path and he can't do anything about it. In addition, the rest of the world is still pushing towards electrification, most notably China.

GM is not giving up on the Bolt. They need it and the tech that comes with it for the future. The whole "losing $9000 on each car" thing is just Wall Street analysts doing what they do. Trying to play fortune teller to the sheep. Of course GM is going lose money on each Bolt for the foreseeable future. You can't spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a new car and then hope to make all that money back in one year. Particularly not if you only sell 30,000 of them.

Bottom line, holding back Bolt production does them no favors at this point. Everything gets cheaper when you build in large quantities, not small.

·
Registered
862 Posts

3. Loosing $9K.

1. GM has not "held back" on the full release. They are delivering (as promised) vehicles by the end of 2016

2. Elimination of the tax rebates would be passed by Congress. Possible, but not a sure thing (I doubt that Trump will get a "rubber stamp" on everything he wants - his support from the Republican Party is best described as "marginal").

3. Losing $9K is pure speculation by an unnamed source that has been picked up an represented as fact by anti EV and anti GM news sites. I suspect the "source familiar with the matter" is Bob Lutz. He has consistently made unsubstantiated (and even false) claims about the profitability of EV's and hybrids. Just because you read it on the internet does not make it true (particularly from "unnamed" sources).

And profitable? I haven't seen any figures from GM (or any reliable source) that shows either a profit or a loss. Could they be "losing" money? Possibly - the Prius certainly did in the short term.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure GM will make their money back over time, maybe in emissions credits and they can put it towards developing their more profitable fuel models. The Bolt batteries can be used elsewhere too, maybe in future hybrids? I'm sure they have a plan to at least recoup what they spent on the Bolt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
He has consistently made unsubstantiated (and even false) claims about the profitability of EV's and hybrids. Just because you read it on the internet does not make it true (particularly from "unnamed" sources).
Reminds me of this famous quote by Abe Lincoln.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts