Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Being that the Volt and Bolt share the same battery I would think its close to the same software.
Unfortunately they are not the same. Maybe chemistry, but the design of the pack is different. Major take backs are the cooling where the Volt is prismatic cells or something that includes coolant flowing right next to cells while the Bolt has a cooling plate that circulates coolant and heatsink-like protrusions that draw heat away from the individual battery cells.

Second major difference is the discharge behavior and associated battery buffers (top and bottom). Bolt's battery was not meant to drain to 100% multiple times a day. Volt's battery was designed to handle multiple 100% to 0% dumps everyday since it had an ICE backup.

So extrapolating from the above Gen 1 Volt to the Bolt will be problematic.

I took the bolt to zero lol. After the 20 km warning it stops showing the range and the reduced propulsion dose last for a while I would say at least 30 km. The car starts to slow down I was driving about 60 km an hour you can coast for about 200 meters on a flat surface , I managed to park in a parking lot about 4 km from my house. I called gm roadside assistance and was towed for free to my house they used a flat bed and basically put it right into my garage. I plugged it in and almost forgot it happened till this post. I ran out of battery because on my trip back I used cruise control which to my amazement sucked used more power then I did when I was driving manually I just got lazy was so comfortable after big Sunday meal I guess part of me also wanted to see what happened.

I ran out of battery because on my trip back I used cruise control which to my amazement sucked used more power then I did when I was driving manually
If you're driving in gently rolling countryside then it's more efficient to let the car speed up on the downhills so that you have momentum to coast up the other side. If you're on cruise control then you waste energy because the regen going into the battery on the downhills is never fully recovered by the power needed on the uphills.

But on level ground I'd be pretty surprised if you could beat the cruise control for efficiency.

I ran out of battery because on my trip back I used cruise control which to my amazement sucked used more power then I did when I was driving manually
That's pretty typical of ICE vehicles, the cruise control will make pretty aggressive changes to the throttle as it tries to maintain a constant speed. If you're driving manually you can let the car slow down or speed up a bit on hills or temporary headwinds which is going to be more efficient. I've actually gotten out of the habit of using cruise control entirely because of this and have never tried to use it in my Bolt.

It should be possible for car companies to make an eco minded cruise control software that moderated throttle changes and do a good job efficiency wise. Won't make a bit of difference for MPGe or official range estimates though so there's little incentive for the companies to make the investment.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.