Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody put a protective film / clear bra on their Bolt to protect it? I washed/waxed this weekend and saw some small nicks... made me sad. :crying:

If you've done I'd love to hear about your experience and if you'd do it again! Brand? Price? DIY?

·
Registered
624 Posts
i'd imagine most window tinting places could do it.

alternatively - plastidip! i've thought about doing this when i go to tahoe in the winter, but i haven't actually done it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We did the clear plastic film on the nose of our Toyota Sienna when we bought it back in '04. That was the best looking part of the vehicle paint for years and years. Now, 13 years old, that plastic is cracked all over the place, but I suspect it would be easy to replace.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We did the clear plastic film on the nose of our Toyota Sienna when we bought it back in '04. That was the best looking part of the vehicle paint for years and years. Now, 13 years old, that plastic is cracked all over the place, but I suspect it would be easy to replace.
I like the idea of the peace of mind it would give me to know my paint is being protected. And I imagine the quality in plastics has gotten a lot better in 13 years ;-)

I'll have to decide if I can forego the money... maybe I can just skip a car payment :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like the idea of the peace of mind it would give me to know my paint is being protected. And I imagine the quality in plastics has gotten a lot better in 13 years ;-)

I'll have to decide if I can forego the money... maybe I can just skip a car payment :D
But just think of all the gas money you're saving! That will more than pay for your paint protection. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was quoted $700 to do the front and back below the tailgate. On the fence if I am going to do it. I too have a couple of little chips but need to investigate how long this lasts especially in AZ heat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SteveCaz,
You are on the right track so far to further prevent small nicks in your paint. As calpolyarc mentioned, the technology and quality of films have come a long way in 13 years. Some of the films that are manufactured today usually come with 10 year warranties and are designed to prevent yellowing. In some cases these films can be self-healing to small rock impacts and surface scratches that will heal with the heat from the sun. Having a quality installer is very important too.
In regards to SteveCaz’s question, heat is not an issue for some films on the market. Just make sure to do research on the film you are wanting and to make sure the installer has a good reputation. Hope all this information helps. Let me know if we can answer any more questions for you.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I was quoted $700 to do the front and back below the tailgate. On the fence if I am going to do it. I too have a couple of little chips but need to investigate how long this lasts especially in AZ heat.
Before you do it, get some quotes on just repainting the front and rear bumpers. Last time I looked into it, just getting the bumpers repainted after a number of years was equally cost effective and I skipped the clear films. It also turns out that over the years as the car ages you tend to care less and less about the little stone nicks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:)I grew up in the era when most everyone with a new car had clear plastic protective seat covers installed. They looked terrible, were hot and sticky in the summer, and the opposite in the winter. The same was true with a lot of living room furniture. Not say that protective film is the same. I've had plenty of vehicles in my life, but I never considered it. With the exception of a few dings on the front, never needed it. My Bolt is a lease and I'll care for it as it was my own. Window tint yes, protective film no.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just getting the bumpers repainted after a number of years was equally cost effective and I skipped the clear films. It also turns out that over the years as the car ages you tend to care less and less about the little stone nicks.
Good point DaV8or... I'm super gung ho about it now because the car is new and we haven't had a new car in 13 years. The Bolt isn't even mine... my wife drives it.

The same was true with a lot of living room furniture.
Haha, one of the only things I remember about my grandma in NYC is that she had plastic on all of her furniture... and I mean ALL of her furniture!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts