Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days after delivery I was sitting in the car and looking at the main screen and noticed what appeared to be some sort of shadow on it, Upon closer inspection, I found that it had one of those cling plastic films that come on most high tech products these days. So, I carefully removed it.

However....

There still seems to be ANOTHER one of them applied to the screen. I am hesitant to remove that one, as it may be there for a reason. Anybody have this happen to them? Or did the dealer remove both films before delivery?

Best way to tell is to look at the upper right corner of the screen. You will (or won't!) see the line outlining the "pull tab" for the film...

It works fine as is, but I'm just curious...

·
Registered
786 Posts
That first film is a "shipping protection" as we can find on many devices that have a LCD, OLED, or glass screen. But keep the other film on it as it may be the actual touch screen or digitizer! I have taken apart broken tablets and some had damaged digitizers, yet the LCD is operational. So don't go overboard and remove that layer, or else you have to pay for a complete replacement plus the labor to do so.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I did think it odd that there would be TWO protective bits, and that's why I didn't try to lift the second one. Wonder why they put the little cut out "tab" up in the corner if it's a part that's supposed to stay put? Just too curious, I guess. On to the next discovery!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Wait... if there's a tab on the other one.. I think i'd think it's another protective layer... photo please. If it were actually the screen, there wouldn't be a tab on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try to get a photo. Angle has to be just right to see the tab.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Two photos. Lighting not perfect but the outline of the film is visible. Sure looks like that's a tab for pulling it off! Won't touch (yet) though!

Did the dealer just forget to remove it? And if so, why were there TWO layers?

What I should do is swing by a dealer and peek at the screen(s) on the lot to see. I'll put that on the (almost endless) things to do list! :)

Attachments

·
Banned
350 Posts
My bet is that having two layers was a manufacturing goof, and that the stuff should probably be left in place as a screen-protector to defer the inevitable accumulation of scratches.
Ask Chevy Customer Service, though, to get a definitive answer.
(And please let us know what you find out)

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I removed the top thin piece of plastic. I have not yet removed the bottom thicker piece. It is curious that both of them have a tab. I can see a tab being there to facilitate removal of the protective screen, but not placement, as it is probably put there during the manufacturing of the display prior to installation into the car. I don't recall any of my other vehicles have a protective plastic screen on them. The displays in theory are engineered to withstand the rigors of dirt and dust that might scratch it during the normal use of the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Removed the thicker plastic cover that had the tab in your photo and it still works fine. Leave it on if you like to have that extra protection.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yea... that does look very removable just because of the obvious tabbing on it. Have you tried to lift a corner...? My curiosity would lead me to rip that off haha!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went online for a "chat" with chevrolet.com this morning. They have no clue, and recommended that I see my dealer... Since there was no such film on either my Volt or my ELR, my inclination is to peel the darn thing off. There is a 1/16th inch gap all around the perimeter, and then the obvious "pull tab" in the upper right. Maybe before I do it I will carve out some time and go see the dealer so they can hem and haw and try to figure out why it's there. I'll bet if I could have a look for the SOP for the dealer prep on that vehicle, it would have appropriate instructions. So the mystery remains (for now)...

However I might just take ShermBolt's advice and peel the thing off after work tonight! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Removed the thicker plastic cover that had the tab in your photo and it still works fine. Leave it on if you like to have that extra protection.
Did removing the second layer improve visibility when there is glare from the sun? That's my biggest complaint about any of these display: glare from the sun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure about "anti glare" but it makes it harder to see the screen when I am wearing my polarized (prescription) sunglasses. But the same was true with the ELR which had no film on it. My license plates came, so today after work I'm gonna put 'em on and I think I will yank that film off the same time. Every time I look at the screen, all I seem to see is that tab saying "pull me". :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last night I pulled off the second layer of film. it's NOT supposed to be there, I'm sure. It was shiny and the screen underneath is matte and non glare (as was my Volt and my ELR screen) so I think what happened was the dealer missed a step in the Pre-Delivery prep phase. So that's settled for me now. Whew! Thanks for the advice and comments !

As for vanity plates, not on this car. Gave up on that a few years ago when I went on a "frugality" campaign. 0:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
For a clearer picture, you could try snapping the shot through a polarized lens. I noticed the film while wearing my polarized sunglasses. I haven't removed it yet, because it's not really bothering anything yet, and the touch screen still works.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts