Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the forum:
Six parking spaces at a crowed Whole Foods parking lot and three charging stations. One empty space which I pull into and begin to charge. I then notice that while all other 5 cars are electric, NONE of them were actually charging. They were all using the spaces and shopping because they were conveniently located and available.

Cool or not?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not. What happens when someone stops in who is in dire need of a charge? If you're not charging, find a spot like everyone else.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I feel like it would be nice to have a set of business-card-sized notes on hand which say "Please do not use an EV charging space unless you are charging your EV" that I could stick on the windshield of offenders.

Of course the down side is that it might cause more EV owners to just plug in so that they could use the space (even though they don't need a charge), and that would reduce the availability of free charging cables to use even if they did reach to a space you could park in.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
No, it's a douche bag maneuver, but it's predictable. How many people parking in handicapped spaces really need that space?? Maybe 30%? It's a special reserved space up close to the front of the store, of course people will abuse that.

If they want to discourage this behavior, they should locate the charging stations as far from the front of the store as possible. Which would you rather have? An open spot, ready to charge then a hike to the store, or a full row of douche bags?

·
Registered
862 Posts
In Oregon, an EV parked but not charging is subject to a ticket of up to $250 (no different than an ICE in the same spot).

HB2625

Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:
SECTION 1. (1) As used in this section, “alternative fuel vehicle” has the meaning given
that term in ORS 469B.100, except that “alternative fuel vehicle” includes vehicles registered
in any jurisdiction.
(2) A person commits the offense of unlawful parking in a space reserved for alternative
fuel vehicle refueling if:
(a) The person parks a vehicle in any parking space that is on premises open to the
public;
(b) The parking space is marked or signed as reserved for alternative fuel vehicle refueling;
and
(c) The vehicle in the parking space is not engaged in the refueling process.
(3) The offense of unlawful parking in a space reserved for alternative fuel vehicle refueling
is a Class D traffic violation.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
In Oregon, an EV parked but not charging is subject to a ticket of up to $250 (no different than an ICE in the same spot).

HB2625

Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:
SECTION 1. (1) As used in this section, “alternative fuel vehicle” has the meaning given
that term in ORS 469B.100, except that “alternative fuel vehicle” includes vehicles registered
in any jurisdiction.
(2) A person commits the offense of unlawful parking in a space reserved for alternative
fuel vehicle refueling if:
(a) The person parks a vehicle in any parking space that is on premises open to the
public;
(b) The parking space is marked or signed as reserved for alternative fuel vehicle refueling;
and
(c) The vehicle in the parking space is not engaged in the refueling process.
(3) The offense of unlawful parking in a space reserved for alternative fuel vehicle refueling
is a Class D traffic violation.
How do they enforce this? Cheating filth shows up, grabs the plug off the machine, plugs it in, but never pays and never turns the machine on. At a glance it looks like charging in progress. Up close it looks like a charging session that has expired.

People love to cheat the system, but what they really don't realize, or they don't care is they are really cheating follow citizens.

·
Registered
862 Posts
How do they enforce this? Cheating filth shows up, grabs the plug off the machine, plugs it in, but never pays and never turns the machine on. At a glance it looks like charging in progress. Up close it looks like a charging session that has expired.

People love to cheat the system, but what they really don't realize, or they don't care is they are really cheating follow citizens.
They don't (even for ICE's). Parking enforcement generally doesn't have a clue and is not even aware of the law.

And the law is pretty vague. "engaged in the fueling process" is not defined.

Are you "engaged in the fueling process" if still plugged in after your charge is finished? If so, is there a grace period? Can you remain parked there indefinitely after charging?

What about EVSE's with 2 spots per nozzle? Obviously only one can charge at a time.

Better than nothing, and I do leave notes on ICE's (keep them in my glove box)

A Friendly Reminder
Effective January 1, 2016 Oregon House Bill 2625 makes it an offense to unlawful park in a space reserved for alternative fuel vehicle refueling. A violation carries a fine of up to $250. This note was left by a private citizen as a courtesy to make offenders aware before they receive an expensive citation.

Please - don't block EV Charging Stations!
I have left one on an EV not plugged in/charging with a hand written note explaining that they are not "reserved EV parking", but reserved for charging your EV.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
From what I understand, they can't really relocate the charging stations farther away from the store because that's more wiring they have to do to connect the charger wit the main building.

I know of a very vindictive way of getting back at people parking where they shouldn't or not even charging at all. You know those glossy flyers ppl stick on your windshields, the kind that's a pain to get rid of once it's wet? Print small ones out with a friendly reminder, slap it on the windshield and wet it down with some water. Happened to me once and it was a pain to scrape off.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
From what I understand, they can't really relocate the charging stations farther away from the store because that's more wiring they have to do to connect the charger wit the main building.

I know of a very vindictive way of getting back at people parking where they shouldn't or not even charging at all. You know those glossy flyers ppl stick on your windshields, the kind that's a pain to get rid of once it's wet? Print small ones out with a friendly reminder, slap it on the windshield and wet it down with some water. Happened to me once and it was a pain to scrape off.
Or ziptie a shopping cart to their door handle.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts

That's true. Nobody is going to want to pay for all the extra wire.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's true. Nobody is going to want to pay for all the extra wire.
But they could put the charging stations along the side or behind the building. Then the only people who want to park there will be those who want to use them.

With them out front, it reinforces the image (not necessarily correct) that EV drivers feel privileged. Most of them drive around prominately sporting those carpool lane stickers.

Ed

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
We went to a Whole Foods last summer looking for a specialty item, figured I'd plug in the Volt while I was there... wrong!
Out of the three charge station spots... two were ICE'd and the third was occupied by a regular, not Plug-In Prius.

It's frustrating when people act like alpha hotel's.

I honestly will not go anywhere with the Bolt that would make me rely on public charging at this point.

·
Registered
373 Posts
But they could put the charging stations along the side or behind the building. Then the only people who want to park there will be those who want to use them.

With them out front, it reinforces the image (not necessarily correct) that EV drivers feel privileged. Most of them drive around prominately sporting those carpool lane stickers.

Ed
While I don't mind having the stickers on my car, most of the discussion on this (and other forums) demonstrates that EV drivers would rather not have the stickers at all, and wouldn't mount them if they could get away without them. I have yet to encounter someone who dangles them in other motorists faces.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Ed
While I don't mind having the stickers on my car, most of the discussion on this (and other forums) demonstrates that EV drivers would rather not have the stickers at all, and wouldn't mount them if they could get away without them. I have yet to encounter someone who dangles them in other motorists faces.
My point was how EV drivers are perceived by non-EV drivers. Not how *we* actually act or feel.

For example, the driver of a new Tesla P90D (still without plates) at my gym who parks straddling two spaces very close to the entrance certainly doesn't feel privileged. He just doesn't want to get his doors dinged. But others might have a different perception.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
My point was how EV drivers are perceived by non-EV drivers. Not how *we* actually act or feel.

For example, the driver of a new Tesla P90D (still without plates) at my gym who parks straddling two spaces very close to the entrance certainly doesn't feel privileged. He just doesn't want to get his doors dinged. But others might have a different perception.
Good way to get keyed, that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
...the driver of a new Tesla P90D (still without plates) at my gym who parks straddling two spaces very close to the entrance certainly doesn't feel privileged. He just doesn't want to get his doors dinged. But others might have a different perception.
So that gives him the right to occupy two spaces for his one vehicle?
He's certainly not helping disburse the image of Tesla owners being elitist is he?

If it walks like a duck......

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
So that gives him the right to occupy two spaces for his one vehicle?
He's certainly not helping disburse the image of Tesla owners being elitist is he?

If it walks like a duck......
Well come on! It's not just some Chevy beater car! Show some respect!;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well come on! It's not just some Chevy beater car! Show some respect!;)

I see that behavior from all sorts of vehicle owners, not just EVs. Usually associated with a high buck car, but not always. I've seen Honda Civics parked diagonally, and I think if they could take 3 spaces to protect their ride, they would. I don't think this behavior is particularly EV in nature.

Now, sitting in the HOV lane doing 5 under the speed limit to nurse your battery to the next destination is.

What makes it execrable is that the EV spaces/chargers are in short supply. If the Bolt and the T3 are successful, I expect that infrastructure for destination/opportunistic charging is going to lag, and frustrations around these conflicts will rise to the point where planning on getting a charge anywhere but your house will be a poor idea until the infrastructure catches up

1 - 20 of 65 Posts