Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You actually believe that? Really? The taxpayers of your state should subsidize your vehicle purchase and as for polluting as much I honestly, sincerely, am not so convinced that the environmental impact of the manufacturing of the batteries and subsequent landfilling of them is 'all that environmental'. But I don't know, beyond the recycling program isn't established yet. That is well documented, even on this site.
Yes, I really do believe that EVs are better for the environment than ICE vehicles.

Also, the voters in my state, through their elected representatives, feel that it is important to reduce our state’s dependence on fossil fuels. Rebates for EV purchases are one program that will help do that, and environmental issues generally enjoy wide support in my state.

Here’s a recent article on this topic from that lefty rag, Forbes:

Are Electric Vehicles Really Better For The Environment?

·
Registered
899 Posts
You actually believe that? Really? The taxpayers of your state should subsidize your vehicle purchase and as for polluting as much I honestly, sincerely, am not so convinced that the environmental impact of the manufacturing of the batteries and subsequent landfilling of them is 'all that environmental'. But I don't know, beyond the recycling program isn't established yet. That is well documented, even on this site.
Careful, the screechers will be on you soon for talking like this!

I know there isn't an established recycling chain yet, but show me an instance of someone throwing a used battery worth $5,000 on the low end, upwards of $10,000 more commonly into a landfill? Right now, we are into the "second use" phase of batteries... when batteries are so whooped they are no longer useful in stationary storage we will start thinking about a recycling chain... that is 15 to 20 years away.

On the Subsidies issue, rich people get tax incentives... it is just the way things are done. Does it encourage EV adaption among the environmentally conscious affluent people? Yes. Does it help less wealthy environmental conscious people? YES! It helps in two ways.

#1 it makes the air cleaner which benefits everyone.
#2 it encourages richy rich to trade in his used Leaf that he got for $36,000 (that he only bought in the first place for the street cred and $7,500 tax shelter) and kick it down to the used market where average income people can pick it up for under $10,000

So, over all the tax breaks on EV's help everyone... now, on the other half of your point... I would prefer it if states that were not on the edge of bankruptcy were the ones doing it.

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
789 Posts
just turned in my 2017 Bolt early, dealer paid remaining three lease payments, leased a 2020 with bigger battery, faster cold weather charging, and lower payment. The $8,500 +$1,500 lease loyalty is still available for purchase until at least March 2nd, but the lease incentive dropped from $8,500 to $6,500 at the end of last month. Was tough call weather to purchase the 2020 or lease again but I decided on the lease. It was very sad to see the 2017 go, it has been such a great vehicle, wife would be driving it if the residual was not so ridiculously high

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It was very sad to see the 2017 go, it has been such a great vehicle, wife would be driving it if the residual was not so ridiculously high
Just one of the mysteries of the tax code. If past BMW i3 experience is any guide, your Bolt will go through the auction, be grabbed by a flipper and for sale on line for $3k-5k less than the residual you'd had to pay to keep it.

One explanation is it forced you to lease a new 2020. Maybe that was the plan all along.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
just turned in my 2017 Bolt early, dealer paid remaining three lease payments, leased a 2020 with bigger battery, faster cold weather charging, and lower payment. The $8,500 +$1,500 lease loyalty is still available for purchase until at least March 2nd, but the lease incentive dropped from $8,500 to $6,500 at the end of last month. Was tough call weather to purchase the 2020 or lease again but I decided on the lease. It was very sad to see the 2017 go, it has been such a great vehicle, wife would be driving it if the residual was not so ridiculously high
I’m pretty sure the lease cash on an LT is $6,750, not $6,500.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Careful, the screechers will be on you soon for talking like this!

I know there isn't an established recycling chain yet, but show me an instance of someone throwing a used battery worth $5,000 on the low end, upwards of $10,000 more commonly into a landfill? Right now, we are into the "second use" phase of batteries... when batteries are so whooped they are no longer useful in stationary storage we will start thinking about a recycling chain... that is 15 to 20 years away.
I don't know of any. But I also have no idea where a total'ed Bolt's battery would end up in an area that hasn't established the demand. If a Bolt is in a serious accident, it's more likely to be 'totalled' than a comparable ICE IMHO, which we can debate later. But a Bolt totaled is going to the junk yard for salvage. In some markets, I hear stories that there are people buying EV's from salvage or the battery, but if the BOLT and thus it's battery is at a salvage yard that doesn't understand what they have and in a market like mine that lacks the innovation, it's going to sit in a stack of cars for a long long time. That's what I believe, but I have no proof of it. I do know that the local salvage yard that takes in totaled Volts charges a hefty 4 figure environmental impact fee and salvage fee to the insurance company before they take 'it'. I have been to two salvage yards in the last 6 months looking for the magical jack that is Bolt compatible as I undertake my project to add a spare tire and I asked them.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Just one of the mysteries of the tax code. If past BMW i3 experience is any guide, your Bolt will go through the auction, be grabbed by a flipper and for sale on line for $3k-5k less than the residual you'd had to pay to keep it.

One explanation is it forced you to lease a new 2020. Maybe that was the plan all along.

jack vines
That was exactly the plan.

Back in 2017 GM was eligible for a $7500 tax credit for every Bolt they leased, and they used at least some of that money to pump-up the residual.

The dealership has no real incentive to sell you your old Bolt at the residual price, all that money would go straight to GM Financial, who owns the car.

The mystery is why GM Financial isn’t interested in selling the car at a discount off the residual price rather than taking a huge hit at the wholesale market.

Maybe someone who understands the reasoning behind the firm “no negotiation” policy can explain GM‘s motivation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, I really do believe that EVs are better for the environment than ICE vehicles.

Also, the voters in my state, through their elected representatives, feel that it is important to reduce our state’s dependence on fossil fuels. Rebates for EV purchases are one program that will help do that, and environmental issues generally enjoy wide support in my state.

Here’s a recent article on this topic from that lefty rag, Forbes:

Are Electric Vehicles Really Better For The Environment?
In my state, the representatives vote to increase taxes to fund projects that they want. The people were given the chance to have a non-binding advisory vote and they rejected the representatives’ ideas. I think people vote their pockets whereas the representatives just take from the pockets.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have been to two salvage yards in the last 6 months looking for the magical jack that is Bolt compatible as I undertake my project to add a spare tire and I asked them.
A bit off topic, but I made my own jack pads for the Bolt using some heavy tapered rubber feet and an oak wood block. Works great, cost next to nothing. You do need a trolley jack that‘s fairly low profile, the Bolt isn’t very high off the ground. I can p.m. you details if you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 3-year lease on my 2017 Bolt Premier (with most upgrades) is up in two months. I'm trying to decide between getting a 2020 Bolt (maybe lease, maybe buy) or buying my 2017. My car has 25K miles on it and is in very good shape. I'm posting to see if any of you have purchased your 2017 Bolt (same model) at lease-end, and how much did you have to pay for it? I tried calling GM Financial to get a quote, but hung up after half an hour on hold. I'm reluctant to contact a sales person to get a quote, because once I do, I am afraid I'll be bugged repeatedly. Any experience you can share as far as your purchase price (or other issues) would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Do yourself a favor, if you're going to finance, do it at a Credit Union. Ours (Redwood CU) is offering 2.99% loans up to 60 months on a new vehicle. Used car and longer term rates are a little higher.

Our 2017 Bolt Lease is up in September. We're getting a Tesla Model Y to replace it.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Do yourself a favor, if you're going to finance, do it at a Credit Union. Ours (Redwood CU) is offering 2.99% loans up to 60 months on a new vehicle. Used car and longer term rates are a little higher.

Our 2017 Bolt Lease is up in September. We're getting a Tesla Model Y to replace it.
GM Financial is offering 0% loans for up to 72 months on a new Bolt.

That sounds great, but the catch is the customer cash offer is reduced to $5,000 from $8,500, a hefty loss of $3,500.

On a 60 month loan at 3% you’ll pay a lot less in interest than $3,500, so taking the $8,500 cash offer and financing elsewhere appears to be the best deal.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts