Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I love my 2017 Bolt - best car ever

When I got it I was pumped to see Qi Wireless phone charging as I was planning on getting an iPhoneX which I just did.

Then I put it into the charging pocket yesterday and nothing. Did some research - the manual clearly says it supports the QI charging standard, but after looking around including on Apple's website the 2017 and earlier GMs are not truly QI compliant despite their claim and it is apparently a H/W issue so they will not charge the iPhoneX. I think GM needs to make this right as it is clearly a flaw that needs fixing. We need to get onto GM about this as this is a big disappointment for me and no doubt many others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish they would fix this issue. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I thought it would be nice to drop in my phone as a passenger. Since I would need to have my car plugged into the USB anyway to get Carplay to work, it's not hurting me, but when I'm the passenger it would be nice to top off my phone in the pocket.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Qi Charger is kind of redundant, considering you have to plug in to use Apple CarPlay

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Qi Charger is kind of redundant, considering you have to plug in to use Apple CarPlay
It appears that wireless CarPlay is available on cars that support it. So, that’s another feature, along with Apple-compatible Qi charging, that they need to add to the Bolt, which would eliminate the need for the lightning cable.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It apparently works with the Samsung Galaxy series. However, I keep mine in an Otter Box protector which does NOT fit! I won't go through the trouble to "unbox" every time I want to charge, so use a cord (even though I do not use Android Auto and/or Google Maps).

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
It appears that wireless CarPlay is available on cars that support it. So, that’s another feature, along with Apple-compatible Qi charging, that they need to add to the Bolt, which would eliminate the need for the lightning cable.
The only cars that I’m aware of that support wireless CarPlay are certain BMW models. If there are other manufacturers supporting it, I’d love to see a list of the models that have it.

Reactions: drrjv

·
Registered
624 Posts
GM is blaming apple for it not working. i had a chat with their customer service:

Agent Antonio says: Thank you for your patience. I understand you are having concern with the wireless charging feature. The wireless charging feature do support smartphones with the QI technology, however, not all of these smartphones (w/QI technology) will be compatible.
Agent Antonio says: Here is a link that will provide a list of compatible devices for the wireless charging feature:
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/static/pageImages/learnAbout/articles/documents/GM_Wireless_Charging_Compatible_Device.pdf
Customer says: so you"re saying the bolt isn"t actually qi compliant?
Agent Antonio says: It is. Again, not all smartphones will be compatible for the wireless charging feature
Customer says: but isn"t that the point of a standard? so that all things that are standard-complian will be compatible?
Agent Antonio says: It also states in the manual to visit our website for device compatibility. Page 110 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Owners Manual.
Agent Antonio says: Not necessarily. It all depends how the phone is designed.
Agent Antonio says: We offer our technical requirements to all phone manufacturers, and hope that they adhere to them. However, we in no way have control over this.
Customer says: i have 3 different chargers that all charge my phone just fine, but not the bolt. so the issue seems to be with GM"s implementation
so somehow it's apple's fault that the phone doesn't charge, but it will charge on the 2018 bolt? yeah right. i think the 2018 will have an actually compliant Qi charger, and that's why it will work.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
which came first, the 2017 Bolt or the iPhone 7/X? no way GM would have known. Apple hadn't supported wireless charging before. My two year phone works just fine.

posted this before: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/222498-post28.html

"GMC’s Wireless Charging is compatible with PMA 1.0, WPC 1.0 or WPC 1.1 charging standards, meaning it can work with many Powermat and Qi charging accessories."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I think I will give Apple the edge on this stuff. I have already tried my iPhoneX on older QI chargers at Starbucks etc and they worked fine. How come it now works in 2018 GM cars - they fixed something.

·
Registered
624 Posts
which came first, the 2017 Bolt or the iPhone 7/X? no way GM would have known. Apple hadn't supported wireless charging before. My two year phone works just fine.

posted this before: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/222498-post28.html

"GMC’s Wireless Charging is compatible with PMA 1.0, WPC 1.0 or WPC 1.1 charging standards, meaning it can work with many Powermat and Qi charging accessories."
that's the point of standards - they guarantee compatibility.

from the Qi website:

Qi specifications are numbered with three digits: X.Y.Z. For example 1.0.3

X is called the major revision number. Specifications with the same major revision number are backward and forward compatible.

The current version of the Qi specification has version number 1.2.3

that means that any device that meets the Qi standard should be compatible with any charger that meets the Qi standard, because the major number is always going to be 1. the fact that the bolt won't charge the iphone implies that it does not fully meet the Qi standard.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
It apparently works with the Samsung Galaxy series. However, I keep mine in an Otter Box protector which does NOT fit!
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 in an Otter "Commuter" case. The case has a pretty heavy rubber bumper all the way around the edges and a metal or perhaps strong plastic backplate to hold everything together. It fits into the Bolt's charging slot - tightly, but it does fit. It's gotten a tad easier to insert and pull out over the past month that I've had the car.

I was first concerned about the charging slot pushing on the buttons along the edge of the phone, but the tightness in the charging slot isn't due to the phone's width but rather its thickness. So none of the buttons have ever been accidentally pushed as I've inserted and removed it from the slot.

As far as I can tell the phone in its Otter case won't wirelessly charge in the slot, but it's a non-issue for me since I hook up the USB connection in order to use Android Auto and that charges the phone. Quite quickly too, I might add, even when the phone is on and projecting Android Auto onto the car's screen.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I was first concerned about the charging slot pushing on the buttons along the edge of the phone, but the tightness in the charging slot isn't due to the phone's width but rather its thickness. So none of the buttons have ever been accidentally pushed as I've inserted and removed it from the slot.
I'm not so lucky, my phone is tight and just barely fits in width. I have many photos of the side of the passenger seat that I have to delete all the time. If it's night, it starts using the flash. It usually quits taking pictures once I get it fully seated into the slot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Regarding issues with phones fitting in the charging pocket, has anyone tried removing the rubber insert? That should give the phone with case more room.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Regarding issues with phones fitting in the charging pocket, has anyone tried removing the rubber insert? That should give the phone with case more room.
Yea the rubber pops out easy. I put a little bit of foam padding at the bottom and my 7 plus with case fits in the hole now just fine.

·
Registered
739 Posts
So, it looks like wireless charging cases work for iPhone 5, 6, 7. Will they work for the iPhone X. Anyone know?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone inquired at their local Chevy dealer to see if they could install the 2018 Qi charging parts in our 2017 Bolts? Not sure what it entails, but maybe even a handy person could swap out the parts if they use the same connector? Of course labor at the dealership might be an issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts