Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Launch edition
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Qmerit install was done. Very clean. Zero cost to us. When we plug in now the car and the app still say Level 1 charging. I thought the car would automatically negotiate the higher rate. Can't seem to find a setting. What am I missing?
Font Circle Terrestrial plant Darkness Science

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier Launch Edition
505 Posts
I wouldn't trust the phone app. It's very buggy.
What does your car say when plugged in?
It will also tell you how long charging should take. If it's still saying that it takes hours to add 10% then you have an issue.
Otherwise the issue is with the app.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Launch edition
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't trust the phone app. It's very buggy.
What does your car say when plugged in?
It will also tell you how long charging should take. If it's still saying that it takes hours to add 10% then you have an issue.
Otherwise the issue is with the app.
As stated above, the car and the app are both saying Level 1. I get that the app may be wrong but the car says level one and shows full charge by 0800 tomorrow. That's too long for Level 2.

·
Registered
364 Posts
As stated above, the car and the app are both saying Level 1. I get that the app may be wrong but the car says level one and shows full charge by 0800 tomorrow. That's too long for Level 2.
While charging after about 90% my Leaf begins a trickle charge, which can sometimes account for 1/2 of the total charging time, it does still seem like 8:00am is longer than it should be. Have you tried plugging it in after it drops below at least 80% to see if the charging speeds aren't related to the trickle charge for it being so close to 100%?

The video below says something about needing the Level 2 charging cable as well. Are you using a Level 2 cable or the level 1?

·
Registered
Ordered 23 EUV Prem RedLine, 19 Audi Q7, 08 Mustang GT Vert.
116 Posts
I guess I'd start basic. Did the app/car ever show level2? What exactly was installed? 2 pole breaker? What type of outlet? Do you have a multi-meter to check voltage at outlet to be sure you have 240v? What EVSE are you using?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I dont have a car yet but after looking at your App screen shot i had an idea. Reset your home location, it looks like the car has settings for your location set as level 1, maybe that limitation is fixed when you set up your charging settings initially. Just an idea.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier Launch Edition
505 Posts
It sounds as if the wires weren't connected properly to the outlet. The car's on board charger should talk to the EVSE and would know if it's getting 120V or 240V and would request the correct amount of power to send. The only settings on the instrument panel on Level 2 are charge time and SOC level.
I'm doubtful there's anything wrong with the on board charger or your free dual power EVSE.
It's almost as if he's only connected one hot wire to the receptacle.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premium
30 Posts
It sounds as if the wires weren't connected properly to the outlet. The car's on board charger should talk to the EVSE and would know if it's getting 120V or 240V and would request the correct amount of power to send. The only settings on the instrument panel on Level 2 are charge time and SOC level.
I'm doubtful there's anything wrong with the on board charger or your free dual power EVSE.
It's almost as if he's only connected one hot wire to the receptacle.
As an electrician, this is the only answer that really makes sense. Neither the car's charger nor the brick on the EVSE know what adapter is connected to the EVSE brick or what kind of outlet it's plugged into. All they know is that there is either a neutral and a 120V leg connected to it or that there are two hot legs at 240V. If the electrician didn't properly connect both hot legs, then only one is connected and it's 120V. So that's what the car uses, no matter what kind of outlet it's plugged into.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’m starting to feel more confident that it’s a setting in the app you took a screen shot of. Look at the arrow to the right of CHARGE LIMIT (LEVEL 1). Push it and I bet the magic will happen.

·
Administrator
4,916 Posts
I’m starting to feel more confident that it’s a setting in the app you took a screen shot of. Look at the arrow to the right of CHARGE LIMIT (LEVEL 1). Push it and I bet the magic will happen.
No such setting. 240V is auto-detected and will always negotiate the highest possible Amps according to the J1772 duty cycle.

As others have asked, what is the EVSE that is being used?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your EUV should have come with an EVSE that has both a NEMA 14-50 and 5-15 attachments. Which attachment are you using and on what type of a plug? As others have stated I think we need a little more information to help you.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
240 VAC is two wires that act against each other. Missing one will equal 0 VAC. 120VAC is one hot going to one neutral.

At first I considered home and away but L2 won't care about that so that can't be right.

L1 and L2 is a handshake between evse and car. If the evse is at 16A or above the charge rate ought to be L2.

In reality you should go in car and start it to see the regen amount.

·
Registered
667 Posts
A VOM set to AC voltage can safely read the voltage between the two 14-50 blades.
The mounted box should show 230 to 240 volts. If not, then the wiring error that has been
discussed is true, and this is not wired as 240, rather as 120.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts