Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 25 years ago I did the unthinkable and bought a foreign car. Imagine growing
up during WW2 and ever thinking about buying a German or Japanese car! Prior to that every American car I bought since the first in the late 1950s worked like this: Buy the car, drive it for a week or two, take it back with a long list of problems and have them fixed. I don't remember anything like this happening after buying foreign. In September I switched back to American and bought the fantastic Bolt. Today a little over a month later after lowering the drivers seat to the bottom, it will not pump back up to the level my wife needs. The passenger side still works. Please tell me this is very very unusual!

·
Registered
624 Posts
i haven't noticed such a failure, but i never adjust my seat. take it back to the dealer, that's why they have a warranty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
About 25 years ago I did the unthinkable and bought a foreign car. Imagine growing
up during WW2 and ever thinking about buying a German or Japanese car! Prior to that every American car I bought since the first in the late 1950s worked like this: Buy the car, drive it for a week or two, take it back with a long list of problems and have them fixed. I don't remember anything like this happening after buying foreign. In September I switched back to American and bought the fantastic Bolt. Today a little over a month later after lowering the drivers seat to the bottom, it will not pump back up to the level my wife needs. The passenger side still works. Please tell me this is very very unusual!
I would take it back to the dealer if the seats do not pump back up, should be an easy fix but still a minor inconvenience to you. Overall, not a big deal and I can safely say unusual.

As for the quality of american cars, we can all debate until the cows come home about it because you won't get a straight answer nowadays; in general, electric cars "should" be more reliable compared to ICE car. It just comes down to minor things, such as, fit and finish, rattles, trims falling apart, and especially body panels not lining up properly... cough cough, (I'd rather not say the car brand).

So many parts come from everywhere and put together somewhere else, it's hard to say what's really american, Japanese, German, etc. anymore.

I have ordered a Bolt and this will be my very first "American car" branded vehicle; was going to get a LEAF 2.0 but got very concerned about the battery not having liquid thermal management; Living in Canada where it can get very hot and cold can potentially be an issue over time with the battery.

Good luck!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Are you sure you're using the correct lever?
Are you sure you're pulling it far enough to engage it ?
This sounds like operator error to me.
I know of no known issue like this. This is a first around here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Definitely bring it back to the dealer, should fix it. It could be a seat electronic problem, maybe just a little issue with wires inside that pump system.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I am sure it is a mechanical, and not an electronic, pump mechanism. It was actually a little tricky for me at first, and I thought it was broken. But I simply did not realize it was already at its lowest level and would not go down further. It works fine. It was me, not the seat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Your seat issue is unusual. I am sure it will be handled quickly. The Bolt is not made by the "old GM". I too have driven very reliable Japanese products for the last 25 years. For me to pull the trigger on a GM product is a very big deal. Note that as the world becomes more globalized, the cars become more equal. There are a few exceptions but remember that the bolt is so far out of the norm and with so many "firsts" that issues will inevitably pop up. For GM to deliver on this concept is truely astounding, especially given the fiasco of the EV1 in the 1990's. So far, I consider the issues with the car to be very minor.
Furthermore, in the last 5 years or so, I believe the quality of Japanese cars has actually gone down. My last Camry was good...but not great. It stranded me on my second long road trip, took 5 days to get the right parts and cost me over $1000 to repair. These aren't things you normally hear about but they do exist more than you think.
It is too early to see how well the Bolt will perform over time however it is off to an excellent start.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seat problem

Thanks to all for the ideas and encouragement.

I'm reasonably sure that it is not an operator error as both my wife and I tried to use it and then both did the passenger side successfully. Couldn't make an appointment today as a bad storm came through the northeast knocking out electricity (still off), internet, TV and phone. The local Chevy dealer is only 12 miles away but the dealer who sold the Bolt is 50 miles away. I assume that won't be a problem. Will call tomorrow morning.

I assume that this is just a rare problem at the wrong time.

Am still amazed, pleased, and surprised how many great things come with the Bolt.

Made a trip to the gas station in my ICE car (no gasoline allowed in my Bolt!) this afternoon to get fuel for the generator and got a bit of a scare when moving off the accelerator didn't stop the car at a stop sign. Single peddle is such a great idea!

·
Registered
19 Posts
For GM to deliver on this concept is truely astounding, especially given the fiasco of the EV1 in the 1990's. So far, I consider the issues with the car to be very minor.
Furthermore, in the last 5 years or so, I believe the quality of Japanese cars has actually gone down. My last Camry was good...but not great. It stranded me on my second long road trip, took 5 days to get the right parts and cost me over $1000 to repair. These aren't things you normally hear about but they do exist more than you think.
It is too early to see how well the Bolt will perform over time however it is off to an excellent start.
I have the same feelings regarding overall quality of cars and felt the same way about the last Camry I leased and glad that I leased it.
My 2014 Chevy Spark EV was put together in Korea and it was put together very well, no misaligned panels or mechanical problems at all. Just a small software annoyance of chirping horn when it felt like chirping, that all :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Throwing all American Cars (Gas / Electric / Ford / Dodge / Chevy) into one bucket is like saying fast food sucks because you ate Taco Bell. There are good fast food (Five Guys, Chipotle) and there are bad (Taco Bell). In the American car arena, Dodge for the most part is pretty poor in reliability. I tend to see For & GM doing better. Both have weak spots. But GM's EV / Hybrid platform has been pretty solid.

As a whole I would not put American cars up against Japanese (Honda / Toyota / Subaru ) however Nissan has had trouble (even the Leaf w/ air cooled batteries). European tend to be all over the place. Generally better built, but very expensive to maintain; the exception being VW, which is cheaper to buy but expensive to maintain for the long haul.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Try raising the seat height with no one sitting in the seat (if you haven't tried that already)....

·
Registered
102 Posts
I certainly won't generalize to all American made vehicles, but I haven't been impressed with the interior quality of the Bolt. We are, after all, talking about a car that retails at between $34-$42k. Though I understand a generous portion of that is wrapped-up in the battery, hard plastic throughout the entire car just feels cheap. My car is 1 month old, with under 700 miles, and a piece of the dashboard (on the left right next to the side window) has already come loose. I think the car is super well designed on the exterior, but the inside could really use some higher quality materials.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am sure it is a mechanical, and not an electronic, pump mechanism. It was actually a little tricky for me at first, and I thought it was broken. But I simply did not realize it was already at its lowest level and would not go down further. It works fine. It was me, not the seat.
When it is all the way down you should be able to raise it by pulling up on the handle a few times. All of a sudden My Bolt will not do that. An appointment with a local dealer is set for tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Made it to the dealer

The local non Bolt Chevy dealer questioned whether they could work on the Bolt. It took several minutes to find out, but because it had nothing to do with the electric drive, it was decided that working on it was o.k.

It turned out that a bulletin was issued on the 13th of June addressing the problem. Seven models were on the list. It had to do with the "jamming of parts". It can be corrected by hand with no tools. If anyone is interested I can copy the instructions.

I asked the service manager what can be done if it happens regularly? Can the whole mechanism be replaced? He did not know. I'm concerned that my wife will not have the strength to do the job.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two things happened today that are still making me wonder about the quality of American cars:
1. The seat rising system failed again with a bang while I was driving. Using instructions from Chevy I was able to "fix" it, though I doubt my wife will be able to do so.
2. My wife made a trip to her hair dresser and somewhere along the way the front Chevy emblem fell off!

None of the foreign cars we have purchased over the last 25 years have had such problems including our Nissan Leaf. Using email I have requested that Chevy really fix the first problem and the local dealer will replace the emblem on Tuesday.

Bolt, I still love you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bolt, I still love you!
It's good to see you're hanging in there with this driver seat malfunction. I hope after the bad part is replaced your Bolt will be trouble free. After I drove a 2012 Volt trouble free 2 years for 30k miles I became convinced that GM does have its act together and so far my 2 week old Bolt with a thousand miles has been a pure pleasure to drive. It saddens me that I have to cut back on my driving because my lease terms are 15000 miles a year for 3 years and right now I'm driving 24000 miles a year :(

·
Registered
392 Posts
After the Ford crap like peeling paint on my 86 Mustang GT Cobra and their total lack of rresponsibility I vowed never to buy a Ford car again, and quite frankly any american car. Next up was a Lexus LS400, wow, what a car! Been a Toyota man ever since! They sure can make cars, better yet they can also make them in America the same way. My 2004 Tundra which is what I drove just before picking up my Bolt a few weeks ago was built in Kentucky.

So far about 600 mile on my bolt and no issues! :) I love it, who would think a car could be fun again! I just go out to find places to drive to :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts