Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this might be a bit of a dumb question and I apologize in advance, but I've been trained over the years on non-EV vehicles to use low gear in special circumstances such as going up/down steep hills and in the snow. So, it's a bit strange to now be using low gear in an energy efficiency mode on the Bolt. The manual indicates to use low gear in stop and go traffic and snow/mud etc. Are there any downsides to driving in LG all around town and on freeways other than the obvious aggressive deceleration? Through judicious use of the accelerator, the driving is smoother but my inner combustion spirits are calling on me saying 'this isn't natural'. So, while intellectually I am thinking driving in low gear is just fine, the other part of my brain is going 'What are you doing". So, I thought I would ask.
Thanks

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Bolt is one speed, and does not have a low or high gear. Heavier regen does feel like driving in a lower gear to many (like my wife), but the rpm does not change for a given speed. As you noted, L (low) will slow the car more aggressively when lifting off the accelerator pedal, but it is NOT in a different gear.

No harm at all in keeping it in L, just personal preference.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok, this might be a bit of a dumb question and I apologize in advance, but I've been trained over the years on non-EV vehicles to use low gear in special circumstances such as going up/down steep hills and in the snow. So, it's a bit strange to now be using low gear in an energy efficiency mode on the Bolt. The manual indicates to use low gear in stop and go traffic and snow/mud etc. Are there any downsides to driving in LG all around town and on freeways other than the obvious aggressive deceleration? Through judicious use of the accelerator, the driving is smoother but my inner combustion spirits are calling on me saying 'this isn't natural'. So, while intellectually I am thinking driving in low gear is just fine, the other part of my brain is going 'What are you doing". So, I thought I would ask.
Thanks
Rest assured that there will be no issues. I drove my Volt in L only for the past 4 years (approx 150,000 miles) no issues!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
L is not "LOW" gear. As noted the Bolt is a single speed trans. Using L allows you to take advantage of the cars One Pedal Driving feature that no other EV has. It uses aggressive regeneration to slow and stop the car without the requirement of a brake pedal like an ICE and other EV's.

Make sure and remember to use the foot brake when required to properly stop the car if needed to avoid a crash. L is awesome and I use it 100% of the time, even on the freeway.
I never use the foot brake and beat the EPA's range of 238 by about 100 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts