Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only noticed this in the last few weeks. Sometimes (and I can't figure out the pattern), the outer ring of the speedometer seems to echo the color of the regen bar. That is to say that it's green under regen., and shades of yellow when power is being consumed. When the car is stopped, it's grey. If it was this way all the time, I wouldn't question it, but there are times (in the same drive) when it's just green regardless of what I do, or how I drive.

The manual states (pp. 115, when discussing the "efficiency gauge") that the outer ring may also change color to match the color of the efficiency gauge depending on the display layout", but it seems random, and not related to what that display would show. Any thoughts on why it acts this way?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
You'll get green when the car is being driven efficiently and yellow when not (like during acceleration or going above 70). I use the Modern Enhanced gauge layout...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll get green when the car is being driven efficiently and yellow when not (like during acceleration or going above 70). I use the Modern Enhanced gauge layout...
That would make sense, but that's not what I'm experiencing in a consistent way. In my tests yesterday, initially the ring would not turn yellow when accelerating onto the highway. After 15 minutes of driving (the battery pack had gone down to 85% or so FWIW), it started acting that way for the remainder of that trip.

I too use Modern Enhanced.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The only mention of it turning yellow from the owner's manual says:

If the ball turns yellow and
travels above the center of the
gauge, acceleration is too
aggressive to optimize efficiency.
Driving fast also uses more energy
than driving slowly.
There's no mention of battery percentage before it takes effect. Not sure if it's a feature of a bug.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I never even noticed that color ring until I read this thread, so yesterday I made a point of observing it's behavior. As best I can tell, it's a trend meter. It seems to display motive power usage over a period of time. If you momentarily jam on the gas, it won't necessarily turn yellow, but if you are continuous in using a lot of throttle, it will go yellow.

I think it's tied to the center of the mileage estimate. I believe that as long as you keep the ring green most of the time, you will make your center mileage estimate. It's pretty much a redundant display to the left yellow/green trend bars. It's an alternate way of gauging your performance.

I suppose the designers might have thought it would be easier to read at a glance then the other performance bars, but like I said I didn't even really notice it. I guess I've been too fixated on the other displays.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only mention of it turning yellow from the owner's manual says:

There's no mention of battery percentage before it takes effect. Not sure if it's a feature of a bug.
So, I did a little more testing last night, and now think the battery level is a red herring, merely coincidental. What does seem solid is that the ring (for me) does not register change until I hit a speed of 65 MPH. At that point, when under load (not regen) it gradually changes from green to yellow, being full yellow at about 70. If I back off the throttle, it will go to green, even though my speed is still above 65.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts