Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I noticed that all the chargers are Electrify America. Good choice as in my opinion they are the most reliable. Be sure to get the Electrify America app. It will save you money and is more reliable than using a credit card. PhilBo used abetterrouteplanner. I prefer plugshare as it is much easier to use. One more thing to consider is---what is the plan if one of the chargers does not work? Are there more L3 chargers nearby? The map would tell you.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Warren: FWIW I can't take credit for planning the trip. I simply posted the screen results from XJ12's ABRP's link which was not working for some members but was working fine for me. XJ12 deserves the kudos for planning the trip for zebraitis.

·
Registered
614 Posts
After playing around with ABRP I found it to be un-useful. When I plan a trip I use a combination of PlugShare and Google Maps, which I find to be easy, clear and intuitive.
I use all three. ABRP often doesn't take the best route to a station, but plugshare doesn't give any info on how far you can drive on the charge you have... ABRP takes into account elevation changes as well as additional weight in your vehicle etc, Plugshare just displays a range circle that you select.

Keith

PS: ABRP has improved a lot since it first appeared, if it has been a while since you tried it give it another shot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ha ha. I made about 75% of that trip last July, going from Boulder, CO to Galveston, TX to deliver my first Bolt to be shipped to Finland for my son. Roughly 1200 miles in 2+ days. Post #9 shows the exact same charging stations that we used down to TX. ABRP was essentially perfect, especially for tracking SOC between stations. Highly accurate. Definitely use the EA Pass+ plan for lower charge rates and no connect fee. They will let you drop back to the regular plan after your trip without penalty.

All of the cautions previously mentioned are valid for cross-country trips. I pre-checked all stations a few days before the trip and found one location completely offline. EA confirmed it and I did a little fill-up elsewhere, but no great surprises. Since EA was just getting many stations up and running during last summer, I had many stops that required trying several of the chargers in order to get one to properly connect and keep charging. EA help staff were great (I think I called at almost every stop, so they got familiar with me!).

I recall that we were the only EV at these stops, so lots of chargers were available. I really hated the parking layouts that EA commonly used with the stations directly in front of the car, with high parking curbs that hit the lower air dam. Even rolling up with the front tires against the stop, the darn super stiff charge cables barely reached the charging port and put a lot of side strain on the plastic port. Several of the EA stations (I remember Hays, KS) have a much better layout with pull-thru "gas pump" style access. You can probably see my red Bolt in a lot of those stations in PlugShare.

I learned a lot about efficient trip planning by doing what-if variations in ABRP on driving speed, max and min charge targets, etc. There are a lot of variables that can be adjusted in the menu, although it can be a little hidden in some viewing modes. At least in my case, the fastest trip (and cheapest) had more charging stops associated with driving down to lower SOC's, then charging only up to 60-70% to avoid the slower and expensive full top-off strategy. As I said, it worked perfectly. One human component to an efficient trip that I learned: it's surprisingly easy to overstay your planned charge duration by hitting the restroom, grabbing a coffee/coke or a bite to eat, then finding you've overshot the intended charge point.

I found it an enjoyable excursion. I hope that you do, too. Of course, everybody has a different idea of road trip fun vs. stress! BTW, you will love the first stop at the I-70 diner

·
Registered
372 Posts
You guys don't have EVGo stations out there? They always seem to be up and available. The one EA charger I came across, a Level 2 AC connection, was non functional and the EA guy I phoned couldn't get it working. He was able to direct me to a nearby EVgo L3 charger, tho.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You guys don't have EVGo stations out there? They always seem to be up and available. The one EA charger I came across, a Level 2 AC connection, was non functional and the EA guy I phoned couldn't get it working. He was able to direct me to a nearby EVgo L3 charger, tho.
Well, there are some, but not on the major highways - mostly just in the major cities. One piece of good news is that Oklahoma is building out a network of 200 kW chargers throughout the state. These are popping up all over, including in the panhandle. We are still waiting for Colorado to build the 33 150 kW stations (2 dual chargers each) built with dieselgate money and promised for completion in Fall 2019-Spring 2020 but now delayed until "Summer 2020." You can go east from Denver reasonably successfully and west up to Grand Junction before you hit the first of several 250+ mile gap in chargers with lots of mountain-climbing in between. Utah, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, Montana, Idaho and New Mexico signed on with Colorado to build out fast charging on all interstates back in 2017. Still waiting for the first one to open. Turns out that only Colorado has actually let out a contract with Charge Point. The other states are still "considering their acquisition strategy".

·
Registered
133 Posts
The one EA charger I came across, a Level 2 AC connection, was non functional and the EA guy I phoned couldn't get it working. He was able to direct me to a nearby EVgo L3 charger, tho.
I didn't think the EA locations had L2 EVSEs? I thought that was one of the complaints about them from some people???

21 - 30 of 30 Posts