Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

How long before a solution to the battery issue.

• Less than 6 months

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • More than 6 months

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • More than 1 year

Votes: 70 63.6%
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
What counts as a "solution"? GM installing their first verifiably defect free battery into a vehicle? 10% of vehicles being fixed? Half? Is just having a solid, executable plan enough?

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,293 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier, 2020 Bolt Premier
134 Posts
Recall over.
I'm not sure what over even means. If it means every Bolt has a new safe battery then the answer is never, as some people just won't bring the car in to have it done. If it means every Bolt who's owner wants the new battery then I'd guess 2-3 years.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Recall over.
There has never been a recall of 140,000 vehicles that was completed on every single vehicle. None. So that isn't really a fair criteria. Perhaps "when there are enough parts available that any owner can call their dealer to make and appointment" would be acceptable to you? And if that is the case, there is only one option, and that is over a year. Perhaps make it "1-2 years" and add an option for "2+ years".

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
Safety recalls are not limited by time or mileage. For example, the original software "final remedy" service bulletin explicitly stated (page 10):
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
So "completely over" will happen when the last Bolt that never received the recall is junked. That could be well over a decade.

I think a more reasonable metric is when GM is no longer the bottleneck for the recall service - ie any owner who wants to get a battery replacement, can get one scheduled and completed. So I should be able to call up my dealership, and they should be able to tell me, "We'll order the battery pack / modules and they'll get here next Wednesday - bring in your Bolt on Thursday."

By that standard, assuming a reasonable percentage of owners want to get their new batteries installed immediately, I would say about a year before GM catches up to the backlog.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
C'mon now, give me something a little more quantifiable. ;)
A better measure is that all customers with recalled cars have gotten the actual remedy (all battery modules in their cars are known good) or can easily get it at their convenience.

Note that the number of "customers with recalled cars" can be reduced by repurchases or swaps; this could speed up the progress toward that state. (GM can remedy repurchased cars at its convenience without customers anxiously waiting for them.)

·
Registered
218 Posts
What's sad is that they themselves don't even have confidence there is even a fix yet (according to that exec comment). Until they start installing these 'new' batteries, it's later and later and honestly, this whole process has been giving me a headache.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A better measure is that all customers with recalled cars have gotten the actual remedy (all battery modules in their cars are known good) or can easily get it at their convenience.

Note that the number of "customers with recalled cars" can be reduced by repurchases or swaps; this could speed up the progress toward that state. (GM can remedy repurchased cars at its convenience without customers anxiously waiting for them.)
All right go with that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's also tough for them that the bolt has no following products. No other products will be using bolt cells. They have to remanufacture batteries for a product that is end of life cycle. This is expensive with little return on the investment. If it was 10k cars affected they could just take them all back. 140k is different.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The question seems to be predicated on how long it would take for the recall to be done - but this does not necessarily entail JUST replacing the packs (which I concede can take foreverrr). What if GM announces by October that they're buying everything back? Then the recall would be done - cars are literally recalled - and hopefully everyone is happy.

Of course the chances of THAT happening are fairly slim, if we go by how they've futzed around with this recall since last year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Being that there is not any current production of the needed parts to fix the 140,000 affected vehicles, it seems likely to be a long term recall. GM is in a really bad spot on this one.
Keep hearing the number 140 K units ... was that not the no. for pre.'20 w/non U.S. batteries ? plus 73 K '20 - '22 cars for a total of 213 K needing replacement batteries ? Substantial diff , no ?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts