Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

How long before a solution to the battery issue.

• Less than 6 months

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • More than 6 months

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • More than 1 year

Votes: 70 63.6%
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
My guess................
we will see many more strains of Covid before we see a end to this debacle.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
So, we are back to never... ;-)
Even if they release new "fixed" batteries, there will be owners who wanted a buyout and didn't get it, or just owners who are unhappy in general. ;-)

People don't like to be happy... ;-)
I'm happy now.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt LT
73 Posts
November 1, 2020 – Langenfeld, Germany
This was arguably the "coldest" one. Interesting to me no deep winter burns so far. Only time my Bolt has ever freaked out on me so far was charging when it was 100+ outside in the direct sun in July. Coolers were maxed for about 10-15 minutes at the end of that HTR charge. Looking forward to winter. :)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
This was arguably the "coldest" one. Interesting to me no deep winter burns so far.
Last winter was also during the interim fix period of the first fire recall, when there was software to limit charging to 94% or an advisory to use hilltop reserve or target charge to 90%. Although this did not stop all fires, it probably significantly reduced the risk. Most fires where state of charge was known occurred at or near 100%, with two exceptions (one at probably around 70%, and one at probably around 14%).

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt LT
73 Posts
Last winter was also during the interim fix period of the first fire recall
Sure, but that doesn’t account for the previous winter or the winter before that etc. The “defects” have always been there. 100% SoC when it’s cold is surely helpful to the overall situation.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,314 Posts
...Only time my Bolt has ever freaked out on me so far was charging when it was 100+ outside in the direct sun in July. Coolers were maxed for about 10-15 minutes at the end of that HTR charge. ..
Just to be clear.. This running of the AC compressor and the cooling fans is normal operation, correct?
The TMS was doing its job.

A lot of the time in not super hot temps, the TMS is running quietly, not maxed.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt LT
73 Posts
Just to be clear.. This running of the AC compressor and the cooling fans is normal operation, correct?
Totally normal as fas as I know. It’s the only time it’s sounded like a jet engine to me aside from the single time I’ve DCFC’ed to 100% when buying my Bolt and road tripping home. I imagine people charging in the south here this all the time and don’t even think about it. At 48N latitude it caught my attention haha.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Last winter was also during the interim fix period of the first fire recall, when there was software to limit charging to 94% or an advisory to use hilltop reserve or target charge to 90%. Although this did not stop all fires, it probably significantly reduced the risk. Most fires where state of charge was known occurred at or near 100%, with two exceptions (one at probably around 70%, and one at probably around 14%).
If not mistake I read that the latest was around 35% charge.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,314 Posts
... an advisory to use hilltop reserve or target charge to 90%.
--Although this did not stop all fires, it probably significantly reduced the risk.
Most fires where state of charge was known occurred at or near 100%,
--with two exceptions (one at probably around 70%, and one at probably around 14%).
Probably...
But who knows how much,, if at all....?

--These two sentences contradict each other.

Sometimes this sounds like a Chevy shot in the dark.
You know, they have to come out and say they are doing something... this little bit of 'guidance' is something.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I read the other day a GM rep was supposed to have said they will be ready in (I forget exact date)something like a week to a few weeks. Not sure if that means a ramp up of quality tested batteries or actual installs or just an announced solution.

It was nice to learn that the Volt has had a good track record on this subject.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It was nice to learn that the Volt has had a good track record on this subject.
Don't forget that Chevy locked out about 20% of the Volt battery! So when you charged to 100%, you really were charging to around 90%, or maybe even less. Chevy didn't do that on the Bolt.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Don't forget that Chevy locked out about 20% of the Volt battery! So when you charged to 100%, you really were charging to around 90%, or maybe even less. Chevy didn't do that on the Bolt.
Maybe allowing the extra charge is exposing an issue that was there before but unnoticed because the batteries were not as stressed. Who knows.
No updates by GM just adds stress that the issue is so hidden they have no idea on how find it or fix iit.
Going to call on my status of my buyback

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a slightly different idea to possibly aid in this recall - for all concerned. Why don't we ask GM or whoever, if there is anything that we might do to help this entire process along. As long as it doesn't cost us in any way other than report any strange happenings that might add to the cure. The Bolt is a great car that is taking it in the gut, and it seems, that most of us are just referring to this problem with a slight greedy, attitude - of trade ins and buy backs.

Most of us bought this car for many reasons that were very positive at the time of purchase.

If GM would just ask for additional help from it's customer base, I am sure that many would respond, in any way that we could.

I don't really believe that this was the fault of GM or LG. They were doing their best and we all have had mistakes in our life and it can usually be a growing pain. My 2021 Bolt has less than 1500 miles on it and possibly we could add an immediate alarm, possibly even a pre-alarm (such as a thermal detector) to warn us of the possible pre-fire.
The fire dept. can usually determine where the fire started many times and it becomes an aid to their future problems - Something might just be noticed that happens just before hand. and the sooner we find a fix the better it will be for all of us.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a slightly different idea to possibly aid in this recall - for all concerned. Why don't we ask GM or whoever, if there is anything that we might do to help this entire process along. As long as it doesn't cost us in any way other than report any strange happenings that might add to the cure. The Bolt is a great car that is taking it in the gut, and it seems, that most of us are just referring to this problem with a slight greedy, attitude - of trade ins and buy backs.

Most of us bought this car for many reasons that were very positive at the time of purchase.

If GM would just ask for additional help from it's customer base, I am sure that many would respond, in any way that we could.

I don't really believe that this was the fault of GM or LG. They were doing their best and we all have had mistakes in our life and it can usually be a growing pain. My 2021 Bolt has less than 1500 miles on it and possibly we could add an immediate alarm, possibly even a pre-alarm (such as a thermal detector) to warn us of the possible pre-fire.
The fire dept. can usually determine where the fire started many times and it becomes an aid to their future problems - Something might just be noticed that happens just before hand. and the sooner we find a fix the better it will be for all of us.
With the amount of $$ this is costing LG/GM, I think there is little any of us can do honestly. Everyone wants a fix and no one is happy this happened. With the chip shortage, this also has the unintended result where anyone doing a trade-in/buyback aren't in a good shape honestly to find a replacement vehicle, even with generous buyback terms. Aside from the $$, you're looking at long waits for pretty much any other new vehicle or overpriced used vehicles.

I know I am going to have to pay more for pretty much anything else and used cars are crazy expensive as everyone knows now. I'll also be car less and that alone can be a major hassle to get anywhere.

The main problem which is the fault of LG/GM which they can control a bit more is lack of communication. They should probably hire massively more advisors and repurchase folks, at least in the short term to deal with this.

If you have started the buyback process, you may feel differently if it's their fault (on something they can control a bit more).

I also feel it's definitely their fault (LG more so) to fix because if it wasn't, do you really think they would allocate $1.8 billion to deal with this? They are still a company and almost no company are throwing that amount out for something they know it's not their fault.

Lastly, winter is coming...

...parking outside for some folks means much lower range than 60% (30-90% SOC) to start, snow covering their vehicles and some hire snow plowers for their driveway and now, their Bolt is sitting there soaking up the elements and the plows can't work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What I was trying to say was that there must be some sort of action that happens just before it explodes or ignites. A smell, a raise in temp., etc. Being able to detect that hint could save them big bucks.

They already know that that got a problem and they must correct it, but helping out, isn't that big of a deal and I would think that whoever comes up with a fix, would possibly be given a bonus of some sort, for the money that they would save.

You don't have to be a mad scientist to see if there is anything that you might do to aid in fixing your Bolt. It doesn't seem to me that rocket science isn't really needed to do such things as checking the gauges, etc. and mentioning any weird events that don't seem normal. There may be a hint given by the Bolt, that has been missed, prior to the fire.

Any way that was just a thought.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What I was trying to say was that there must be some sort of action that happens just before it explodes or ignites. A smell, a raise in temp., etc. Being able to detect that hint could save them big bucks.

They already know that that got a problem and they must correct it, but helping out, isn't that big of a deal and I would think that whoever comes up with a fix, would possibly be given a bonus of some sort, for the money that they would save.

You don't have to be a mad scientist to see if there is anything that you might do to aid in fixing your Bolt. It doesn't seem to me that rocket science isn't really needed to do such things as checking the gauges, etc. and mentioning any weird events that don't seem normal. There may be a hint given by the Bolt, that has been missed, prior to the fire.

Any way that was just a thought.
Or it decides that self immolation is on today's agenda and that a cell shorting is going to be the start. The software update includes an alarm once the thermal runaway is detected. However it is too late to save the car at that time. The software is reported to analyze voltage at the 3 cell level and if the voltage difference is too large it will throw a code. Ultimately the pack needs to be tolerant of a cell or two shorting thereby generating lots of heat. This car needs some control rods to insert into the battery core to slow down the reactions.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts