Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

How long before a solution to the battery issue.

• Less than 6 months

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • More than 6 months

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • More than 1 year

Votes: 70 63.6%
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
267 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if GM & LG decide its cheaper to buy back all chevy bolts rather then replace all the defective batteries
They have already stopped production of the 2022 models
They were only building the Bolt for another year before retiring it anyway, to make room for the next model ev

·
Registered
873 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if GM & LG decide its cheaper to buy back all chevy bolts rather then replace all the defective batteries
They have already stopped production of the 2022 models
They were only building the Bolt for another year before retiring it anyway, to make room for the next model ev
I would. Since GM does not have another EV to put them into, they would likely lose several MORE customers to other brands than they are already losing. It would be bad marketing move unless you had something else to put customers into.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It could be something as simple as a **** roach or what ever being attracted to the smell or taste of something on the batteries and causes the short/ignition/fire. What I am trying to say is we all might just learn something trivial is the answer. It could even be some one at the batteries creation had a pizza and didn't wash his hand. Even a sealed system, can still be infected - With what who knows.

The materials used to create the batteries could have left a slip in quality control. The find is just another puzzle to be solved.

Now I know that much of this sounds insane but so it the problem...

We all are waiting for a result, one way or the other. Cashing in your chips before hand will on cause more craziness for us all.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
Mod edit: merging duplicate threads

Each day that goes by without a resolution from GM the more likely there will be no resolution. 1,8 billion dollars if GM did anything. They really seem to be slow walking this. Anyone believe they are working 24x7 for a solution?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Each day that goes by without a resolution from GM the more likely there will be no resolution.
I'm not sure that is what that means... ;-)
Personally, I am expecting this to take some time. And large companies are generally slow.
So, while I would love for GM to be communicating more and things to be happening quicker, I am not bothered too much by the lack of updates...

I've been told I am overly patient tho, so I wouldn't read too much into what I say. ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
All those suspect modules still ideal/valuable for peaker power plant(s). With better monitoring of thermal conditions, a robot could simply yank a failing one off of the rack and isolate it safely. ~6m kwh is a hella lot of storage and value.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You bet LG and GM are working over time. All Bolt production is stopped, dealers are feeling a world of pain, and all that bad press, stockholders and the looming potential government pressure are strong motivators to resolve this expediently.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
4 Posts
Given their intention to take the entire company to electric vehicles, I would think they are working night and day on this. The longer it takes for a solution to be announced, the more I think the problem isn't easily solved.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes. The folks at GM are betting the company on EV's. They want this resolved successfully and as quickly as possible, however they may define that. If you, like me, are unwilling to wait around while they come up with and then start executing on a plan, get busy with the Bolt Concierge and demand they buy your Bolt back so you can buy something else and get on with your life while they work out how to fix this horrendous mess. That's what we're doing.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I think marketing is the only ones working overtime on how to spin this so it doesn't effect the vehicles with actual profit margin. They have to make sure the taint doesn't spread to Ultium.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I think marketing is the only ones working overtime on how to spin this so it doesn't effect the vehicles with actual profit margin. They have to make sure the taint doesn't spread to Ultium.
I would think it's too late for that.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
The big problem with this is that it's tantamount to saying "well, we couldn't figure out how to build safe batteries". They need a material demonstration that they have identified the problem and conclusively fixed it in order to restore confidence in their battery technology. The only alternative would be to switch technologies, or at least suppliers, and that's probably a substantially higher cost (particularly to LG).
If that was true then they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of redesigning it for 2022 and bringing out the EUV as a stablemate.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The big problem with this is that it's tantamount to saying "well, we couldn't figure out how to build safe batteries". They need a material demonstration that they have identified the problem and conclusively fixed it in order to restore confidence in their battery technology. The only alternative would be to switch technologies, or at least suppliers, and that's probably a substantially higher cost (particularly to LG).

If that was true then they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of redesigning it for 2022 and bringing out the EUV as a stablemate.
Absent COVID, the refresh was scheduled for a year earlier. They only need the Bolt long enough to get to Ultium (assuming that doesn’t have to get redesigned).

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,836 Posts
Being how 143,000 are Being affected I would say at least a year or so to get a permanent fix
And at least 5 years for all batteries to be replaced
5 years is a strange estimate. It's like saying there's no change in battery manufacturing capacity since 2016, or that GM wouldn't respond to long wait times. It's sort of like @Usain saying GM will die by 2030 because it won't change course in 10 years.

·
Registered
229 Posts
What if GM announces by October that they're buying everything back? Then the recall would be done - cars are literally recalled - and hopefully everyone is happy.
GM could announce a permanent end to Bolt/EUV production; have NHSTA de-certify the Bolt, forcing an obligatory recall of all US Bolts. Give them new BMS which locks-out generous top & bottom buffers; and then sell them into secondary EV markets like Ukraine as 40kwh, priced similarly to a used 40kwh LEAF, and wash their hands of them. It wouldn't stop all the fires (and maybe wouldn't stop any of the fires). But being sold "as-is", it would end GM's liability, and end the news articles in countries where GM sells vehicles in. GM has budgeted $16k per Bolt for the recall, so they could afford to buy-back at (Ukrainian sale price + $16,000).

In that case, GM could have a "solution" immediately.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,314 Posts
... Give them new BMS which locks-out generous top & bottom buffers; and then sell them into secondary EV markets like Ukraine as 40kwh, priced similarly to a used 40kwh LEAF, and wash their hands of them.
It wouldn't stop all the fires (and maybe wouldn't stop any of the fires). But being sold "as-is", it would end GM's liability, ...
Dump them far away?
Is that a realistic solution?

I agree that limiting pack usage may not accomplish anything.
I think the current 'guidance' may just be a shot in the dark and only time will tell.
And we have plenty of time until new packs are available....

61 - 80 of 94 Posts