Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the OEM tires a little noisy? Seems that way to me at least, are there any quieter options? Otherwise is there a relationship between noise, efficiency and road grip?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Tires probably seem noisy because the car is so quiet. Just guessing since I don't have my car yet. Years ago I was part of a design team for a compressor that was to be used on the international space station. The high speed motor and reduction gearbox was very noisy and the design was changed to a direct drive motor. With that design change we then realized how much noise the rest of the system made. Squeaks and things we never noticed. Even the astronauts shut it down the first time it ran in space. I got paged asking what it was supposed to sound like. A washing machine that squeaks. Yep. They turned it back on and everything was good.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Are the OEM tires a little noisy? Seems that way to me at least, are there any quieter options? Otherwise is there a relationship between noise, efficiency and road grip?
The tires don't seem at all noisy to us. Tread pattern is the major contributor to noise, followed by construction, total unsprung weight and finally compound.

As an educated guess, the extra weight of the sealing compound probably results in a bit more unsprung weight and slightly less resiliant, thus more impact harshness.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've been planning on upgrading to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Seasons which comes as a LRR tire. Despite this, you'll still see a minor range hit with them. I've seen numbers from 1% to 5% in range hit but with the Bolt, I don't think that'd be a problem in exchange for the quieter ride and better performance in snow and rain. Only 50k miles on the OEMs before you can upgrade, though. Or sooner if you're a sporty driver.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never thought much about tires until we got a pair for our van that were loud. Couldn't believe what a difference they made. The Bolt is quiet but I hear three different sounds

• When stopped I hear pumps and compressors from the front compartment.
  • When accellerating from a stop I mostly hear the engine - it kind of sounds like a quiet jet engine because it's so smooth
  • When driving I largely hear the noise from the road surface transmitted through the tires. Changing road surface transmits easily and other car noise is pretty well muffled (thank goodness!)
Being LRR I'd expect them to be pretty stiff and would guess they'd transmit a lot of the road.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When stopped I hear pumps and compressors from the front compartment.
Are you sure this isn't the pedestrian warning system sound? It activates when the car is put in gear and is travelling under 19 MPH. When I first got my Bolt EV I thought I could hear the AC compressor running as I slowly pulled into my garage, but then I noticed that the noise stops immediately when shifting into park, even if I keep the AC running.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They actually seem pretty quiet to me compared to some other noisy tires I have had. Ordinarily tire noise is drowned out by engine noise, but given the relative quiet of the Bolt mechanicals it is easier to hear wind and tire noise as you drive.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They actually seem pretty quiet to me compared to some other noisy tires I have had. Ordinarily tire noise is drowned out by engine noise, but given the relative quiet of the Bolt mechanicals it is easier to hear wind and tire noise as you drive.
I'd expect LRR tires to be quieter too. Actually I think what I'm hearing is probably less the tire than the transmission of the road surface through the tire. Going over a rough patch can really be heard, and as you say it's more noticeable in a BEV.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also remember these are Self Sealing Michelin tires which I have never seen on any other new cars yet . Thus the reason I have no tire repair kit in trunk or can of goop .
Other option would be to go with run flat tires but I hear they ride much worse . Just a heads up if you go with regular tires / you don't have a spare .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Run flats are louder than non-run flats. Also there is no engine to drown out the tire noise. We are thinking about swapping normal tires when the OEM wear out IF we can fit a donut under the false floor. I am ASSuming GM is using the same bolt pattern as the Spark / Sonic and would just need to visit the local junk yard.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No question the lack of engine noise adds to the tire noise. We have switched over to our winter Blizzaks and for the first time, although I am very familiar with Blizzaks having used them for well over a decade, they make different noises on the Bolt. Under hard acceleration, I can hear a hissing/scrubbing noise which is not evident on our other car. When cornering, I can hear the slip & grip of the tires. It's wonderful. Much easier to judge the grip than with our other car. Love it. I also don't think the Bolt has very much sound deadening for tire noise..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts