Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow EV and Bolt Enthusiast.

I have been working in the Automotive Aftermarket for 20 years as a Marketing Manager / Director / CMO and had the pleasure of racing many vehicles including recently a Supercharged Mustang GT and Ford Focus in the televised Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge.

I recently started a new position as Marketing Directory for an Automotive Aftermarket Company (can not disclose due to conflict to interest) that requires a 100mi round trip commute through the heart of Orange County and LA. I bought my Bolt in October to simply buy time with carpool lane access. Secondly the Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge I have raced the previous 3 years has a new 100% EV Class.

I was very impressed with the performance potential of the Bolt. When I turned to the traditional Automotive Aftermarket for aftermarket parts I found little to no support or knowledge. This has led me to launch EV-MODS. I will focus on making my Bolt as Fast around a Track and Autocross Course as possible without loosing its practicality as a daily commuter. I have relationships with many top manufactures that I will be contributing to the R&D of new products. I will start a build thread for my Bolt once I work with a friend at a wheel company on a new line of Bolt Wheels expected to launch in January

Regards

·
Registered
928 Posts
Good. The bolt pattern is not as well supported as the more common ones.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts

I have been working in the Automotive Aftermarket for 20 years as a Marketing Manager / Director / CMO and had the pleasure of racing many vehicles including recently a Supercharged Mustang GT and Ford Focus in the televised Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge.

I recently started a new position as Marketing Directory for an Automotive Aftermarket Company (can not disclose due to conflict to interest) that requires a 100mi round trip commute through the heart of Orange County and LA. I bought my Bolt in October to simply buy time with carpool lane access. Secondly the Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge I have raced the previous 3 years has a new 100% EV Class.

I was very impressed with the performance potential of the Bolt. When I turned to the traditional Automotive Aftermarket for aftermarket parts I found little to no support or knowledge. This has led me to launch EV-MODS. I will focus on making my Bolt as Fast around a Track and Autocross Course as possible without loosing its practicality as a daily commuter. I have relationships with many top manufactures that I will be contributing to the R&D of new products. I will start a build thread for my Bolt once I work with a friend at a wheel company on a new line of Bolt Wheels expected to launch in January

Regards

I'm not sure how much bang for the buck performance increase you'll get when the entire drive train is essentially a proprietary locked black box. No supercharger, turbocharger, ignition timing, intake, exhaust or racing fuel equivalent available here.

Do you foresee much beyond suspension and aero mods?

·
Registered
204 Posts

Regards
This is very refreshing and encouraging after endless pseudo electrical theory discussions and various forms of range anxiety whining.
Good luck on your endeavors as they are certainly needed.

Time to treat Bolt EV as a car instead of lab experiment.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm presently interested in modding my Bolt.... some valves that will allow me to cross connect the cabin heating water loop with the electronics water cooling loop. Sure is a shame to give away all that heat when it is needed in the cabin. Probably not the sort of performance mod most would be looking for though, eh?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm not sure how much bang for the buck performance increase you'll get when the entire drive train is essentially a proprietary locked black box. No supercharger, turbocharger, ignition timing, intake, exhaust or racing fuel equivalent available here.
There is one: the "racing fuel" or electricity. An electric motor can produce more power if the supply voltage is higher while keeping the current constant, which is limited by the physical components and wire size, because the internal wire insulation is much higher than needed. So if you can increase the battery voltage, the Bolt EV may accelerate and run faster.

I have seen a 6 VDC motor running at 12 VDC, and I helped my family mechanic start up a newly rebuilt 220 CI inline-six engine for the first time applying 24 VDC to the starter. Both times the motors worked and no harm was done. So I am accepting that the Bolt EV wiring and component insulation can support over 800 VDC, but I can only test this is someone was generous enough to donate me a test vehicle. ;)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
There is one: the "racing fuel" or electricity. An electric motor can produce more power if the supply voltage is higher while keeping the current constant, which is limited by the physical components and wire size, because the internal wire insulation is much higher than needed. So if you can increase the battery voltage, the Bolt EV may accelerate and run faster.

I have seen a 6 VDC motor running at 12 VDC, and I helped my family mechanic start up a newly rebuilt 220 CI inline-six engine for the first time applying 24 VDC to the starter. Both times the motors worked and no harm was done. So I am accepting that the Bolt EV wiring and component insulation can support over 800 VDC, but I can only test this is someone was generous enough to donate me a test vehicle. ;)
That reminds me of when I was a kid, and businesses existed that had extensive slot-car tracks, with six or eight lanes covering a huge area. They were really neat-o, man! I found that most slot cars ran at 12V, and some obscure ones at 6V. The local public track ran at 12V. You can probably see where this is going...

With a mechanical trigger limiter on the rheostat controller that probably kept the voltage to the car below 10V, it took a while for me to learn to keep the cars on the track. Launching them off banked corners, across the shop was a common occurrence early on, and I spent a lot of paper-route money on 6V motors, but for the few minutes they lasted, I couldn't be beat! Side bets paid for some of my motors, too...:nerd:

It took my opponents a looong time to figure out what I was doing, and even though doing it was not against the rules, I was banned from the shop. Ostensibly it was to "limit damage to their equipment", which was never in any danger of damage (except for dents in the walls from my early learning curve). They were just tired of losing.:mad:

·
Registered
336 Posts

Interesting. Since I bought my Bolt instead of leasing mods are possible. AS LONG AS THE WARRANTIES AREN'T VOIDED. But I kind of like the Bolt the way it is. OK, I wouldn't mind a top speed in the triple digits but there isn't anything to do about.

Removing the speed limiter and paying the price for doing so.

https://youtu.be/LZXBjVIrR08

·
Registered
928 Posts
To reach 100mph, I would be surprised if larger diameter tires didn't get you there. This thing has torque for days.

If I were wanting the best quarter mile time possible I would fit lighter weight wheels/tires slightly larger in overall tire diameter. For best auto-X use, you probably want something significantly smaller in overall diameter versus the stock tires.

It took my opponents a looong time to figure out what I was doing, and even though doing it was not against the rules, I was banned from the shop. Ostensibly it was to "limit damage to their equipment", which was never in any danger of damage (except for dents in the walls from my early learning curve). They were just tired of losing.:mad:
Nice! I used to ride a 24v scooter on 60v, it was fast.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
To reach 100mph, I would be surprised if larger diameter tires didn't get you there. This thing has torque for days.

If I were wanting the best quarter mile time possible I would fit lighter weight wheels/tires slightly larger in overall tire diameter. For best auto-X use, you probably want something significantly smaller in overall diameter versus the stock tires.

Nice! I used to ride a 24v scooter on 60v, it was fast.

Yup. Putting 300A through the 150A motor on my 48V e-sport bike achieved similar results. It accelerated like a bat outta he||, but for some reason, a set of batteries and motor brushes only lasted about 1000 miles. It was a fun 1000 miles, though... at about a dollar a mile...:eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While acceleration is a fun part of the driving experience especially in an EV with instant torque; there are many other components such as handling; braking, precision in how the vehicle responds to inputs and vehicle styling that is available already for our Bolt. My focus initially is on merchandising EV-MODS with products that can enhance the driving experience and products that will enable you to make your Bolt unique to your liking and driving style. Through my experience building the Bolt to be competitive on a road course; I will push the envelope and add tested products to the site as they become available.

I am working with a few veteran auto tuners and manufactures in the industry to unlock the Bolt ECU. The CanBus is not unlike any other vehicle and some tuners have made significant progress. EV Performance is an exciting new frontier for tuners; where traditionally modifying an ICE may require altering the emissions systems (often for better) and faulting emissions compliance... With an EV; manipulating the flow of stored energy does not effect the vehicles emissions compliance - unless you generating additional smoke from the tires.

Currently EV-MODS has available for the Bolt:
Level 2 Chargers
Big Brake Kit
Bolt on Performance Brakes (Track Proven)including Pads and Rotors.
Camber Bolts to improve handling.
Bolt Adapters that enable us to run more common wheel sizes and vastly increases available wheel options.
Performance Racing Seats
In less than 3 weeks:
EV-MODS will have performance lowering springs (specifically made for the bolt by a major well known manufacturer)
Performance Struts and Shocks Fitted and Verified.
Performance Coilovers Fitted and Verified.
18x8 and 17x8 Performance Light Weight Wheels in our 5x105 Bolt Pattern
Within six months:
Performance tuner available that should be able to remove speed limiter and change power delivery.

I will be sure to have Track Drone Video, Installation Videos and Product testing videos.

Thanks for your support in bringing this car to its potential

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am working with a few veteran auto tuners and manufactures in the industry to unlock the Bolt ECU. The CanBus is not unlike any other vehicle and some tuners have made significant progress. EV Performance is an exciting new frontier for tuners; where traditionally modifying an ICE may require altering the emissions systems (often for better) and faulting emissions compliance... With an EV; manipulating the flow of stored energy does not effect the vehicles emissions compliance - unless you generating additional smoke from the tires.

In less than 3 weeks:
EV-MODS will have performance lowering springs (specifically made for the bolt by a major well known manufacturer)
Performance Struts and Shocks Fitted and Verified.
Performance Coilovers Fitted and Verified.
18x8 and 17x8 Performance Light Weight Wheels in our 5x105 Bolt Pattern

I will be sure to have Track Drone Video, Installation Videos and Product testing videos.

Thanks for your support in bringing this car to its potential

I'm glad to hear that aftermarket companies are starting to develop performance products for the Bolt. I think it is a great platform that can be easily improved or personalized.

About lightweight wheels. Fast wheels makes a great model called FC04. I have them on my Volt. They are flow formed and are very light and strong. 17x8 et45 are 16.2 lbs. 18x8 are around 18 lbs.
They make them with the Bolt pattern. They are not expensive. They actually use this model for their race cars.

Also I like your background picture on your website. I like the rear spoiler. It makes it look more sporty as it elongates the side profile of the car.
The drop totally changes the look. I would actually like to see performance air suspension from airlift. Its more expensive, but really makes it versatile. You can raise or lower how you want and also make it stiffer or buttery smooth.

Can't wait to see what's coming for the Bolt. I'm thinking of buying one maybe next year. I went to see the model 3 the other day. It's a nice car, but too big for me and lots of little things I don't like about it. I don't really like sedans. Prefer hatch. Hopefully GM comes out with a wilder Bolt with AWD. hopefully...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback Evolt! Those are great spec wheels. For my first race in March; I may do some manual manipulation of the speed limiter if the tuning company I am working with has not yet cracked the ecu and speed limiter.

I may run slightly taller than stock 245/45/17 vs the OE bolts 215/50r17 on one axle and 230/40r17 I have already on the other axle. My time trial event includes an autocross / speedstop day (Saturday) and then a road course time trial on Sunday. I have to run the same tires for the entire event but I am allowed to rotate tires. So smaller diameter better acceleration tires on the front for Autocross and Speed Stop (1/8 mi drag race essentially) then sunday put the taller tires on front for more top speed on the big track...

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
57 Posts

How about a limited slip diff? That would be a pretty easy retrofit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That reminds me of when I was a kid, and businesses existed that had extensive slot-car tracks, with six or eight lanes covering a huge area. They were really neat-o, man! I found that most slot cars ran at 12V, and some obscure ones at 6V. The local public track ran at 12V. You can probably see where this is going...

With a mechanical trigger limiter on the rheostat controller that probably kept the voltage to the car below 10V, it took a while for me to learn to keep the cars on the track. Launching them off banked corners, across the shop was a common occurrence early on, and I spent a lot of paper-route money on 6V motors, but for the few minutes they lasted, I couldn't be beat! Side bets paid for some of my motors, too...:nerd:

Was that the place on Beach Blvd just south of Knott's? Can't remember the name.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Evolt! Those are great spec wheels. For my first race in March; I may do some manual manipulation of the speed limiter if the tuning company I am working with has not yet cracked the ecu and speed limiter.

I may run slightly taller than stock 245/45/17 vs the OE bolts 215/50r17 on one axle and 230/40r17 I have already on the other axle. My time trial event includes an autocross / speedstop day (Saturday) and then a road course time trial on Sunday. I have to run the same tires for the entire event but I am allowed to rotate tires. So smaller diameter better acceleration tires on the front for Autocross and Speed Stop (1/8 mi drag race essentially) then sunday put the taller tires on front for more top speed on the big track...

Happy Holidays!

Thats a good strategy about the tire size for handling purposes. Audi also uses bigger size tires in the front of the RS3. 255mm front and 235mm rear. Their all wheel drive system is based on the 4-motion which is front biased. I don't think it will make such a big difference in top speed. 245/45/17 is only 0.85% bigger in diameter compared to stock. I've read that the Bolt has a max 8810rpm for the motor. You can calculate the actual motor rpm at stock top speed with final drive ratio and tire diameter. It comes up to 8467rpm. I've read that someone got 96mph GPS verified with 205/70/15 winter tires. It would be good to know what is the real motor max rpm. I guess you will find out with the tuner you are working with.

Looking forward to see how you do with your car.

Happy holidays.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Was that the place on Beach Blvd just south of Knott's? Can't remember the name.

I think I went to that place once. It was a little too far to go on a regular basis for me. The one I went to was nearer my home, at Dutch Village in Lakewood, IIRC.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts